Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulged poly caps on video card?

Hey!
    My hd4850 died a couple of months ago: overclocking and dust is not a good combination So i tried the oven baking method, which has worked for me before. Actually the hd5450 that currently sits in my computer is fixed the same way. So i did the same fix to my 4850 but some caps got fucked up. 1 panny electrolytic 25v 470uF was bulged and i replaced it. But there also are some polymers on there. 6x are 8X5 821 2.5V and 6x ULR 16V 470 YI. The 2.5v are all fine, but the 16v ones got bulged due to the heat from the oven. Right now i don't have any poly replacements, so i was thinking about using electrolytics. So my question is: Can 16V 470uF solids be raplaced with 16V 470uF electrolytics? I think that this might just fix the card. Right now, when i turn it on then the fan kicks in at 100% speed. The 2 leds on the video card are red. Then the fan slows down and the leds go out. It just sits for a while and then the fan maxes out at 100% again. Blank screen. Could capacitor replacement fix the problem? If that wont fix it, then it will go to a special place. The
    I can put text here?!

Re: Bulged poly caps on video card?

470uF / 16v electrolytics would probably be too high esr (though i don't know how much low esr would matter as those 16v capacitors are before the regulators on the video card)... maybe 820-1000uF 16v electrolytic capacitors would be closer to a 470uF 16v polymer.

Comment

Re: Bulged poly caps on video card?

Thanks for the advide dude, i'm going to try to replace em tomorrow.
      I can put text here?!

Comment

Working...
      X