Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sapphire HD4870 512Mb troubleshooting

Hi,

I just got a non working Radeon HD4870 512Mb from Sapphire, it's an early model based on the original design. I don't know the story of this card, I bought it as is.

At first, the symptoms were :
    - prevented boot (computer would start but nothing on screen, whether I use a 2nd graphics card or the HD4870, plus the system was trying several boot sequence before giving up).
    - the HD4870 D1601 diagnostic LED would stay on (Core overheating)

Then, I reflowed the GPU and memory with a heat gun, after replacing a broken SMD capacitor. It did improve things a little, but still no image :
    - computer boots, D1601 led is off.
    - the computer hangs during the Windows loading

Third, I flashed the BIOS three times with different early BIOSes with the same slightly improved results each time :
    - the computer starts normally and the card is detected in Windows and by GPU-Z but part of the data is completely wrong (0Mb RAM, 32bit memory bus, 2400Mhz core clock, the rest is fine), the temps are detected correctly
    In the devices manager, I get the HD4800 series video adapter with a little yellow sign next to it, and the code 43 error : "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Now I tried searching for dead components on the board and found one dead transistor, but still no change.

I've searched on the net and it's apparent those cards are quite unreliable.

Any ideas where to look at now ?

I was thinking about trying a stronger reflow.

PS : computer specs :
    Phenom II X4 965
    2x2Gb + 2x4Gb DDR3 Kingston HyperX
    Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    Vertex 2 60Gb
    WD Caviar Green 1Tb + Seagate 160Gb
    Audigy 1 + Live! Drive II
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 (brand new from RMA)
    Last edited by SuperDuty; 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM.

Re: Sapphire HD4870 512Mb troubleshooting

Memory may need reflow too (if it's a BGA package).
    Make sure to use flux when doing the reflow. Otherwise, you'll likely get poor results.

Comment

The fucked up spec in gpuz is probably the video card bios, or just gpuz being a little bitch.
      I can put text here?!

Comment

Few 4850 ( similar to 4870 ) I brought to life by reballing the chip, reflow didn't help.
        Also there are dead chips, be carefull with temp when doing another reflow.

Comment

Working...
        X