Okay so, how do you identify CCFLs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so, how do you identify CCFLs?

We've got a bunch of KDS monitors with the CCFLs going out -- two of them have bit it entirely and the other four are looking rather worse for the wear. My game plan is to recap the inverter section, replace the CCFLs and call it a day. At least, it was, until I noticed that CCFL diameters differ by fractions of a millimeter

Seriously? How the hell am I supposed to measure that? Or do these tubes usually have their size written on them somewhere?

The monitor model number is K-6MWB. The back of the panel bears the name "PROVIEW TECHNOLOGY COMPANY LIMITED" and both a model no "PV156WLCM" and a product no "M156B1-P01". If anyone just so happens to know the right CCFL size, throw me a bone.

Re: Okay so, how do you identify CCFLs?

If you're dealing with "fractions of a mm" diameter wise, then your best bet would be to visit ccflwarehouse.com. Usually, it's the length of the ccfl that holds people up and not the diameter. Call them as they are very helpful and can provide a recommendation. However, I think that since these are 15" monitors, it's probably not cost effective to replace the ccfl's and caps, not to mention the fact that they're probably at the end of life anyway.
    Last edited by jetadm123; 11-28-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Note that ccflwarehouse sells "bare" ccfls and "pre harnessed". Pre harnessed is way easier to install, but costs more.

Replacing ccfl tubes requires a lot of patience and delicate handling. See their tutorial at

http://www.ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
        it's probably not cost effective to replace the ccfl's and caps, not to mention the fact that they're probably at the end of life anyway.
        New monitors would be $90 a crack. They're not that hard to take apart and I could do a full capkit on this monitor board in about oh, thirty minutes maybe? I'm slick with a soldering iron. And end of life? These were bought brand new at the end of 2008. I expect a useful life of AT LEAST a few years after the warranty runs out.

Comment

ccflwarehouse.com sells ccfl's through their website and also through e-Bay under the seller name of plazmo_industries. I ordered from them just recently. If you follow their directions when you purchase the ccfl's, they request the following - the make and model of your monitor, the diagonal measurement of your screen, and the horizontal measurement of your screen. I actually disassembled the monitor and measured the length and diameter of the actual ccfl's. I measured the length with a ruler and the diameter with digital calipers.

In terms of the cost through the e-Bay sale - they are about $8 each with $4.99 shipping for the first one (free for additional). If there are 4 ccfl's that are going to be replaced along with the capacitors, the repair could run about $40 for each of them plus your time. The following is the e-Bay sale that I used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250474949765...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Comment

From what i understand when you measure the length of the CCFLs,measure just the glass part.If there is just a couple of MM difference in lengths go with the smaller measurement.
            ccflwarehouse shows an illustration on measurements here
            Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
              New monitors would be $90 a crack. They're not that hard to take apart and I could do a full capkit on this monitor board in about oh, thirty minutes maybe? I'm slick with a soldering iron. And end of life? These were bought brand new at the end of 2008. I expect a useful life of AT LEAST a few years after the warranty runs out.
              After 3 years, it doesn't suprise me that the the caps have gone bad. And yes, just re-capping the power supply would be low cost. However, since the ccfl's are also failing after only 3 years, then it would make sense that all 4 ccfl's be replaced. Since it sounds like these are your workplace monitors, now you have to include your labor rate, which I'm guessing is not free. It's 30 min to replace the caps, but how long will it take you to replace the ccfl's? I'm sure the total will still be less than $90, but how much less?

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
                These were bought brand new at the end of 2008. I expect a useful life of AT LEAST a few years after the warranty runs out.
                Are these monitors on 24/7?

Do they have brightness and contrast set at 90/75 respectively?
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                X