Dell 2005fpw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2005fpw

Hey guys, I have this 2005fpw it powers on and the power lights stay on. It says there is no input. I have tried it on other pcs with other cables and still nothing. I took it apart and found a few burn marks on the circuit board and the back of the display. the two burn marks on the back of the display are from contacts from this board.. but it didnt burn the board in those spots but there was some black stuff on those contacts.. the burn on the ciruit board is under the discolored piece.. I dont know what they are? theres 6 of them Could this be fixed?
    Attached Files

Re: Dell 2005fpw

1) Post a picture of the logic/main board (where the DVI/VGA inputs are).

2) Do you have a multimeter?
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I do have a multimeter. I should have mentioned that it went black all of a sudden.. it had turned off before and all i had to do was reboot the monitor. it never really rolled or flickered though
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder45 View Post
        it had turned off before and all i had to do was reboot the monitor. it never really rolled or flickered though
        So I'm confused. Is the monitor working then after a reboot?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

No, it stopped working all together now.. the reboot helped on previous times that it had gone blank. All it does now is power the lights on.

Comment

Okay, the pic is a bit blurry, but I count 6 voltage regulators.

1) Put your multimeter on 20 V DC if manual range.

2) Put your black probe on a ground screw (any one on the logic board will do fine).

3) Put your red probe on each voltage regulator pin EXCEPT the big fat tab. If the middle pin is "cut" and not touching the board, we want to measure that pin as well.

4) Report the part number for each regulator.

5) Report all your findings like the following example,

U101 - part number AL1117-33 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 3.3 V, pin 3 = 5.0 V

6) Post a picture of the entire power/inverter board (not cropped like in post #1)
            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

All it does now is power the lights on.
              Is the screen all white?

If yes, that multicolored connector on the logic board connects to a panel board. The panel board runs the entire length of top of the monitor. There may be an open fuse on that panel board. A good fuse should measure less than 1.0 Ohms.

Alternatively, that connection or cable could be loose and need cleaning or reseating.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It would always go black.. never saw it go white. how are these pics? i'm checkin those pins now.. thanks for the help so far!
                Attached Files

Comment

Forgot to upload the pic of the voltage regulators circled in red.
                  Attached Files
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

On the power board, there is a CON201 (the connector). It has a legend.

Measure all the DC voltages and report it like the following.

pin 1 - legend says 12V - recorded reading = 11.99 V
                    pin 2 - legend says 5V - recorded reading = 5.01 V
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

U506 - EF3AD 1117AS33 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 0.00 V, pin 3 = 121.6 mV
                      U605 - DF3AD 1117AS25 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 2.47 V, pin 3 = 4.67 V
                      U606 - BA033 57 92 - pin 1 = 4.95 V, pin 2 = 10 mV, pin 3 = 3.32 V
                      U607 - DF4AD 1117AS18 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 1.76 V, pin 3 = 3.30 V
                      U608 - BA033 57 92 - pin 1 = 4.67 V, pin 2 = 15 mV, pin 3 = 3.31 V
                      U610 - EF3Ad 1117AS33 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 3.25 V, pin 3 = 4.94 V

pin 1 - 12v = 11.7 V
                      pin 2 - 12v = 11.7 V
                      pin 3 - gnd = 0
                      pin 4 - gnd = 0
                      pin 5 - 5v = 4.57 V
                      pin 6 - 5v = 4.97 V
                      pin 7 - gnd = 0
                      pin 8 - 5v = 4.97 V
                      pin 9 - on/off = 2.80 V
                      pin 10 - ready = 600 mV
                      pin 11 - dimm = 170 mV

Comment

U506 - EF3AD 1117AS33 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 0.00 V, pin 3 = 121.6 mV
                        U605 - DF3AD 1117AS25 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 2.47 V, pin 3 = 4.67 V
                        U606 - BA033 57 92 - pin 1 = 4.95 V, pin 2 = 10 mV, pin 3 = 3.32 V
                        U607 - DF4AD 1117AS18 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 1.76 V, pin 3 = 3.30 V
                        U608 - BA033 57 92 - pin 1 = 4.67 V, pin 2 = 15 mV, pin 3 = 3.31 V
                        U610 - EF3Ad 1117AS33 - pin 1 = 0.00 V, pin 2 = 3.25 V, pin 3 = 4.94 V

pin 1 - 12v = 11.7 V
                        pin 2 - 12v = 11.7 V
                        pin 3 - gnd = 0
                        pin 4 - gnd = 0
                        pin 5 - 5v = 4.57 V
                        pin 6 - 5v = 4.97 V
                        pin 7 - gnd = 0
                        pin 8 - 5v = 4.97 V
                        pin 9 - on/off = 2.80 V
                        pin 10 - ready = 600 mV
                        pin 11 - dimm = 170 mV
                        Definitely an issue with U506. Pin 2 (output) should be about 3.3V and Pin 3 (input voltage) approx. 4.67 V. See what's connected to pin 3. Check for a fuse or solder bridge (from soldering the new caps). Also, check to make sure you soldered the polarity of the caps correctly.

Comment

No caps have been replaced. I did find this discolored wire too.. Is there anything else I should check? I've had to repair the ribbon that goes to the buttons on the the front.. it ripped when i took the face off.. Would that mess up any of the readings?
                          Attached Files

Comment

wow that transformer looks bad

Comment

I agree with trebo, that 1 transformer looks fried.

Comment

Do I replace it and see what happens from there? Is there something else I could be checking? Am I at the right forum?

Comment

Its the best Monitor Forum on the internet !!

Comment

Do I replace it and see what happens from there? Is there something else I could be checking? Am I at the right forum?
                                    yes you are in the right forum, and the best forum
                                    yes it will need replacing
                                    yes there are things you can check, but I leave all that to the others who are already helping you
                                    we should have seen that transformer in your first post LOL,
                                    so I went back over your pictures and saw this, and it dont look right
                                    needs checking out
                                    Attached Files

Comment

The resistance of that resistor is in spec, and the solder joints are good.

Comment

Any other suggestions guys?

Comment

Working...
                                        X