Fastest free antivirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fastest free antivirus

There's nothing wrong with MSE. It offers good enough protection and doesn't use a lot of RAM, but it does have some flaws, including slow scan speeds and not protecting against modern "scareware"

Comment

Believe it or not, I find that the most efficient of all antivirus programs is Norton. I couldn't even get it to slow down an old Socket A PC.
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
        ...not protecting against modern "scareware"
        No free antivirus programs (and very few paid ones) seem to stop scareware. I see it on PCs with everything including AVG, MSE, Avast, McAfail and Norton.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

so far, MSE has fixed the slow boot issue... so far, so good.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

my boss tells me his antivirus work has been going down these 2 months, he says the newest releases of MSE and the windows malicious removal tool has been keeping a lot of people from getting infected
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

The only free one ive used lately that ive been at least somewhat ok with is.
              http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/

Comment

Originally posted by digge View Post
                The only free one ive used lately that ive been at least somewhat ok with is.
                http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/
                I've found this one sort of meh...
                because when the internet connection to your computer isn't working you've got baerly any protection...

Comment

Nobody uses eset?

Comment

because when the internet connection to your computer isn't working you've got baerly any protection...
                    So if your connection isn't working you won't get any infections...
                    System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

Originally posted by dumpystig View Post
                      So if your connection isn't working you won't get any infections...
                      If my internet connection isn't working then I'm pissed off. But that's for another thread

Comment

Haha - wise guy!
                        System: HP xw6600 Workstation, 650W PSU | 2x Intel Xeon Quad E5440 @2.83GHz | 8x 1GB FB-DDR2 @ 667MHz | Kingston/Intel X25-M 160GB SSD | 2x 1TB Spinpoint F3, RAID0 | 1x 1TB Spinpoint F3, backup | ATI FireGL V7700 512MB | Sony Optiarc DVD +/-RW | Win 7 Ultimate x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp U2410f | Dell E248WFP

Comment

True, however what new attacks are you vunrable to if you cant visit that infected page? I admit its not foolproof protection but its in my opinion one of the best free ones out there.

Comment

you have a good point... what if you are offline and you plug in a buddy's infected usb stick?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                              you have a good point... what if you are offline and you plug in a buddy's infected usb stick?
                              Exactly what I was thinking!

Comment

No issues with MSE here. I use it on all my systems, my family's systems and at a non-profit I do consulting for. I use the AV built into the Shavlik patch management system (Vipre engine) at my main work, and it can slow things down a bit.
                                I was an AVG fan for years, but somewhere around ver 6 or 7 it started sucking.

Friends don't let friends use Norton!
                                36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

I currently have only 1 computer with an AV, and that's my computer I use for downloading stuff. It's an old 750 MHz AMD Slot A beast with 512 MB of RAM. Avast! doesn't seem to slow it down that much during boot up as compared to other programs I've used in the past (on PCs with very similar characteristics). The only problem I really had with Avast! is that sometimes when I pop in a CD in the CD drive, Avast will try to scan the entire CD before anything can be executed from it (which, as you can imagine, takes an insanely long amount of time). This temporarily freezes the Window that is supposed to view the drive and it's really annoying me sometimes. But that's really my only gripe with Avast! Other than that, it's been pretty good. I especially like the boot-sector scan option. It's been there since the early versions of Avast! and has always working well.
                                  In terms of performance, when browsing through folders, there is some noticeable lag. It's not too much though, more or less the same as other AV programs. I'm just a little picky since I don't use an AV on my other computers and I'm used to folders opening instantaneously.

In the past, I used to use AVG Free before (versions 7 and 8). Around when 8.5 came out, I dropped AVG Free because it started taking way too much RAM. Another thing that has always pissed me with AVG is that if you open a folder with lots of .exe files, it really can take a minute or two before any of the contents of the folder get displayed. I do keep a small collection of software installation files in my shared downloads folder, so you can see why I ditched AVG.

Comment

For those claiming panda cloud does not protect while offline, youre wrong. Read more about how it works here.

http://research.pandasecurity.com/ar...sed-antivirus/

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      Believe it or not, I find that the most efficient of all antivirus programs is Norton. I couldn't even get it to slow down an old Socket A PC.
                                      That's very odd. I remove it from PCs all the time at work, and the end result is always the same - system runs so much faster. Ever see a tired old P4 with 1 GB of RAM try to run norton? Enough to make you wanna cry

Of course, a few had older versions of norton that had also decided to fill up the program files/common files/symantec shared folder with so much crap that it literally filled the hard drive, then complained that it had no more space to download its crap into.

I hate norton

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                                        Ever see a tired old P4 with 1 GB of RAM try to run norton?
                                        My parents' computer is a P4 with 1GB of RAM, and Norton runs fine on it. It didn't slow the computer down a noticeable amount, even when that computer only had 512MB of RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                          My parents' computer is a P4 with 1GB of RAM, and Norton runs fine on it. It didn't slow the computer down a noticeable amount, even when that computer only had 512MB of RAM.
                                          my mom's is a p4 with 2gb and comodo wrecked it.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X