Screen resolution problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolution problem...

I have a problem achieveing 1280x1024 resolution on my Jukebox PC. It's running off a VIA C3 1.33GHz EPIA board right now, using the built in S3 graphics card. Basically it's blurry at 1280x1024... words couldn't really explain this, so I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1gNTM75DyM

Tell me what you guys think the problem and solution is? I'd love to get out of 1024x768 soon!

Thanks.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Screen resolution problem...

It's most likely interference sucked up by the cheap vga cable you're using.

You need a cable with ferrite cores at both ends and ideally a thick one where all data pairs are twisted.

This is bad:

No ferrite beads, no shielding, cable probably doesn't even contain all the wires (though not all are used anyway)

This is good:

This is somewhere in between - has ferrite on both ends but the cable between is not that well shielded ... should be enough to get a clear picture though:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5FT-VGA-S...item336e6ff67e

This also looks ok, maybe better than the one before :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SVGA-Ferr...item4cf4e74552
    Last edited by mariushm; 11-26-2011, 09:39 AM.

Comment

My cable looks like the second one. Ferrite cores at both ends. I've used this cable with this monitor on other PCs before with no problems at all. Should I go buy a new cable anyway?

Thanks.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I've just taken the ITX PC out and plugged it into a Sony SDM-HS73 monitor in my living room, same problem at 1284x1024 60Hz... err...?

Comment

Oh.. in that case I don't really know what to say... usually the blurring is caused by bad quality signal from the video card, that's caused by interferences.

I'd suggest plugging a PCI video card on the board it and see how that works... but i'm not sure if you have the luxury of having a regular pci slot.
          otherwise maybe you could get by with a usb to vga adapter - as long as the image sent to the screen doesn't change much, it shouldn't use a lot of cpu

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-2-0-V...item27c080f8ad

Comment

Did VIA just create such a shit product? If it can't even come out properly at 1280x1024, then I don't know what to say. Should I just go and get a new Atom based board instead? :P

Comment

Definitely not, unless Atom is good enough for your needs (for jukebox it would be). If you want overall good choice, you should go out and get one of those AMD with embedded processors... E350 I think it's called.

example http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-asrock-...ce-310930.html

Much better than atom, has DVI out , VGA out, embedded video card is fast enough to play HD videos, ddr3 memory is super cheap...

Comment

The hardware should not have any trouble with this. First, try a different video cable, DVI if the computer has a DVI port.

After changing to 1280x1024, do an auto-adjust on the monitor (the "-" button). Some monitors can't get the right settings automatically. On that monitor, the Clock and Clock Phase settings under the Image Control menu might help.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
                  The hardware should not have any trouble with this. First, try a different video cable, DVI if the computer has a DVI port.

After changing to 1280x1024, do an auto-adjust on the monitor (the "-" button). Some monitors can't get the right settings automatically. On that monitor, the Clock and Clock Phase settings under the Image Control menu might help.
                  Doesn't have a DVI port, as much as I would have loved it! I've tried auto adjust many times, doesn't change anything at all.
                  I will look into clock phases when the sun comes up

Comment

Working...
                  X