Help with a Compaq WF1907

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a Compaq WF1907

I did a search of the forums, googling the issue is actually what led me here, and i have similar issues as the other poster but it behaves different then his so i figured i would start a new thread just to be safe.

The issue im having is that the monitor will work fine for a while then starts doing the "2 seconds to black" thing sometimes five or ten minutes later it will stop doing that and start to work fine and stay working for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours and then start to go out and other times it might be a few hours before i can get any use out of it again.

I tried the flashlight test and decided it was a bad inverter board but in the other post they mentioned it could be something causing the board to turn itself off as a safety feature and since mine works fine sometimes but acts up other times i wasnt sure.

Anyone know if this would be an easy fix for someone with no soldering skills, or would i be better off to just call it dead and get a new monitor?

Re: Help with a Compaq WF1907

Oh should also mention that there is no noticeable dimness or discoloration, but right before it goes black the screen flickers for a couple seconds.

Comment

Hi - Its not going to be real easy if you have never soldered anything before. You can of course practice. Do you have a soldering iron solder flux etc. Do you have a multimeter?
      If you dont have these you would need to decide if their cost is worthwhile if you are just fixing one item as against starting a new hobby.
      How long can you do without this monitor? have you another you can use.
      You will need to dismantle the monitor and post clear pictures of your boards using the manage attachments feature.

You will also have to be very precise in what you are saying.

I am not sure from what you say that you have understood the "2 seconds to black" problem - have you read the thread titled "A guide on how to troubleshoot 2 seconds to black" in these forums.

You say "The issue im having is that the monitor will work fine for a while then starts doing the "2 seconds to black" thing sometimes five or ten minutes later it will stop doing that and start to work fine and stay working for anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours and then start to go out and other times it might be a few hours before i can get any use out of it again."

"2 Seconds to black" really only relates to switching on a monitor which usually ( but not always)flashes briefly then goes black within a few seconds of switching on.

It is not something that happens after 10 minutes or a couple of hours and I have never seen it correct itself after 10 minutes.

It could be any number of other things. Faulty components which would need testing/replacing - faulty circuits - dry/cold solder joints that open close with heat.

Have you done any simple initial tests - using it with the back off or with a fan on it to try to keep it cool.
      Have you tried it on another computer / laptop for several hours. This is to see if the problem is with the video card or even the pc power supply.
      Random blackouts can be difficult to diagnose, I am no expert but my hunch would be that one or more of the CCFL lights in the monitor is going or where it is soldered to the connector wire is burning out. This will evenually lead to "2 Seconds to Black"
      If you read: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13853 it will give you some idea of what I am talking about.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

^ Selldore,
        you get no argument from me,I also would suspect a wiring problem to one or more of the CCFLS.As the panel heats it aggravates the wiring problem.
        The top CCFLS have been giving me the most problems; the wiring is oxidizing inside the silicone insulation. Slight discoloration at the ends of the CCFL tubes is normal as the CCFL ages.
        About the only way I know to verify if that is the problem is to substitute 2 good bulbs, and let her run to get hot.
        If wiring is the problem always strip about an inch of insulation off to get to good wiring.
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

I understand that "2 seconds to black" is an issue where you turn the monitor on and then a few seconds later it goes black but with the power light still on. Ive tried it on multiple PCs and its the same deal.

The only thing that keeps me from thinking that its as simple as swap out an inverter board or something is the fact that it doesnt do it all the time. It set in a corner in my room for about 3 weeks and i hooked it up last night and it lasted just a few minutes before it went black. went and ran errands for a few hours and came back and got a good hour or two use out of it before i unhooked it and put my monitor back in place.

It seems to me that the problem would be simple enough to fix, i just have to track it down and would hate to send a monitor to the scrap heap if it can be saved with a small bit of effort and a few parts. Ive never attempted doing actual repair on hardware besides tracking down a faulty part in a PC and swapping it out, but i have a few friends i can learn soldering from so i would be willing to pick it up as a hobby and to add a new skill to my repertoire. If it turns out that this is going to be pricy, by pricy i mean in the 50$ or higher range since i can get a new one for 85$, or more complicated then i imagine then ill probably scrap this project and see if i can find someone that wants the monitor for parts or to fix.

Comment

As you see Alexanna also seems to think it might be CCFL wiring but without pictures there is no way we can tell.
            Did you read the post
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13853 ?
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

it will be a few days before i can get pictures. will probably be around Tuesday or Wednesday before i can crack teh case open and take a few pictures for you all.

Comment

Working...
              X