Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 215TW - Bad Caps?

Hi Badcaps users,

I recently was given a broken Samsung 215TW that I'm about 90% sure has bad caps on the power board. When the monitor powers up, the blue power light appears, but the picture only comes up after warming up for a few minutes. When it does appear, it's super dim. After a few more minutes, it will get brighter but flicker like crazy then the picture will completely cut out entirely.

I searched on google to see to if I could find any reason for the problem, and I stumbled upon this super helpful forum. I read the thread located here which explained a lot but I still have a few questions.

I took out the power board and placed it in a known working Samsung 215TW. The good monitor would power on, with the blue light, but no picture. It never had any picture appear after waiting a few minutes, not sure why, but it seems that board is the issue.

I unfortunately didn't have time to put the known working power board into the non-functioning monitor to see if it was just the board and nothing else. So for now I'm assuming it the power board and not logic board with all the input connections.

Anyway, taking a look at the 6 brown caps, it appears that all of them are bulging. So I plan to replace them with better caps, but I'm a completely new to replacing bad capacitors. I don't know which brands would be good to replace it with. I know Digikey has a lot of selection for cheap capacitors, but it's a bit overwhelming.

I know that I need the following caps but other that info, I'm not sure what what type, or what brand to purchase.

1x 47uF50V
    2x 820uF25V
    3x 330uF25V
    1x 180uf450V?

Also, I'm not sure I need to replace the larger. Can anyone give any suggestions?

Thank you,
    JWatson
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 215TW - Bad Caps?

Originally posted by JWatson View Post
    I know Digikey has a lot of selection for cheap capacitors, but it's a bit overwhelming.
    1) Great pics. It helps a lot.

2) Thanks for doing some research.

Also, I'm not sure I need to replace the larger. Can anyone give any suggestions?
    3) The largest cap rarely, but not never, fails. The largest cap doesn't undergo the same stress as the other caps. Most here leave the largest cap as is.

4) To order from digikey, do this (to pick Panasonic FM low ESR series).

In the search field, click on in stock. Then type "820uF 25V fm" into the field. Make sure the diameter and height dimensions fit.

Do the same for the other caps. If FM is not available, replace with FC.

5) If you want verficiation, post your list and someone will verify.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

6) It looks like the original caps are Capxon GL. Capxon has a terrible reputation for making capacitors.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
        1) Great pics. It helps a lot.

2) Thanks for doing some research.

3) The largest cap rarely, but not never, fails. The largest cap doesn't undergo the same stress as the other caps. Most here leave the largest cap as is.

4) To order from digikey, do this (to pick Panasonic FM low ESR series).

In the search field, click on in stock. Then type "820uF 25V fm" into the field. Make sure the diameter and height dimensions fit.

Do the same for the other caps. If FM is not available, replace with FC.

5) If you want verficiation, post your list and someone will verify.
        Thanks for information! I greatly appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          6) It looks like the original caps are Capxon GL. Capxon has a terrible reputation for making capacitors.
          Yeah, that's what I've been reading on various forums. Seems like samsung has terrible Quality Control because of using cheap caps. It's too bad because the picture quality is stunning on the working 215TW. Hopefully with the replacement caps, the broken one will too

Comment

Post more information...

1) Voltage
            2) Microfarads
            3) Diameter in millimeters
            4) Series (Like Capxon "GL" or Capxon KF")
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Okay, time to update this thread!

So I finally got around to ordering replacement caps. I ended up taking the advice from retiredcaps and ordered my caps from Digikey and used the Panasonic caps for replacing all the Capxon caps except for the largest one. I bought the following caps:

Qty Part# Manufacturer Part# Unit Price Total
              2 P12391-ND EEU-FM1E821L 0.75000 $1.50
              3 P12386-ND EEU-FM1E331 0.51000 $1.53
              1 P10321-ND EEU-FC1H470 0.34000 $0.34

I got some help from my father who had a professional soldering kit, including the oh so useful solder sucker, which made replacing the caps a breeze. It took about 20 minutes to remove and replace all the caps. Once the caps were replaced, I reassembled the monitor and now it's working great! No more flickering image

Thanks for the advice retiredcaps!

Comment

Working...
              X