Strange problem with HD5850 graphics card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange problem with HD5850 graphics card

My Sapphire HD5850 graphics card refuses to work without a physical "support" - please see attached photo (the green highlighter which I have jammed in between the card and the case bottom). This is needed regardless of whether the system lies in a horizontal or vertical orientation (so I do not think it is an issue of the card being too heavy causing the PCB to bend). Any ideas on what could be causing the problem and how to fix it? Many thanks.
    Attached Files

Re: Strange problem with HD5850 graphics card

Have you tries it in a different motherboard or computer?

Comment

Yes I have tried it in half a dozen different systems - the same problem arises in each.

Comment

Bizarre. Out of suggestions then

Comment

Have you tried running the computer upside down without the support under the graphics card to see if it runs?

It sounds like a bad BGA on either the GPU or the RAM to me. What the support does is it probably flexes the video card just enough to make any bad joints under the BGA become temporarily fixed again.

Can't think of anything else really.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            Have you tried running the computer upside down without the support under the graphics card to see if it runs?

It sounds like a bad BGA on either the GPU or the RAM to me. What the support does is it probably flexes the video card just enough to make any bad joints under the BGA become temporarily fixed again.

Can't think of anything else really.
            loose contacts on the interface? not sure never heard of this before!
            Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

No, not quite.

The GPU and the RAM on the video card are attached to the PCB with tiny little balls of solder. Any component that attaches to the board in this method is said to be in a BGA (ball grid array) package.

When a BGA chip is flexed too much either due to external force or temperature variations in the chip as it heat up and cools down, some of the solder balls may become fractured. This can make the chip lose contact with the board, making it act in all sorts of "weird" behaviors.

Comment

I would try exactly what Momaka states. Reballing the BGA section if you have a rework station. If not, then find someone that fixes XBOX etc that does rework. Probably be no harm to reflow the hole card also. I have the same card and haven't had this issue, or even heard of it before, but as always, if it's under warranty, then send it back for RMA.

Comment

Working...
                X