LCD monitor went haywire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCD monitor went haywire

AOC 22" LCD; and Dell Dimension 2400 running WinXP.

I turn on my PC this morning; and the LCD is unreadable -- the whole screen is full of snow; and there are darker wide vertical snowy lines. I can bare see the windows starting up. Everything was fine when I turn the PC off the night before. So, I power off the PC. 30 minutes later, I turn the PC back on, and the LCD is fine.

About 10 days ago, something similar happened. The PC power on fine. Then I walk away. An hour later, when I cam back, the LCD is black. I thought it went to sleep. So, I move my mouse around to get the LCD come back. But it didn't. So I turn off the LCD and turn it back on again. It says No Signal. So I turn off the PC. 30 minutes later, I power on the PC; and everything is fine.

What is the problem? The motherboard? Graphics adaptor? LCD?

TIA

Re: LCD monitor went haywire

I dont know how you found this site - have you read ANY threads regarding monitors.
    You dont even tell us the monitor model number!
    Have you tried anything except switching it off and on?
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

When it says 'NO SIGNAL' that means the PC is not putting out the video to the monitor or the viodeo input at the monitor is bad, you can try your monitor with another PC, or another monitor with this PC.

"What is the problem? The motherboard? Graphics adaptor? LCD?" + Bad cables or cables are not seated properly? It can be any of those that is why process of elimination troubleshooting is required.
      Never stop learning
      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
        I dont know how you found this site - have you read ANY threads regarding monitors.
        You dont even tell us the monitor model number!
        Have you tried anything except switching it off and on?
        Someone told me to post my problem on this site; and provided the link.

The model # is AOC 2217V.

Everything is working fine now. The problem is sporadic. So I didn't try switching monitors.

Comment

Ok - I would just warn that if the problem is not cable related and is capacitor related
          what is now sporadic will get worse and may create an even bigger problem in future as when a cap is deteriorating it is putting pressure on other more expensive and difficult to replace components.

First can you try another screen on your PC to establish it is not the PC/video card that is a problem.
          If you dont have another screen then remove cleand and reseat your video card.
          Remove and reseat the monitor lead VGA? HDMI? etc
          Have you another lead you can connect the monitor to the PC with.
          Have you another PC or Laptop you can connect the monitor to.

If none of that helps We can usually help a lot more if you post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

Examples of what is needed
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

I have a laptop that is connected to an external Smasung LCD 933bw; so I switch the 2 monitors -- by changing the connectors at the computer end (if it makes any difference). Both boot up fine. But since the problem is sporadic, does this prove anything?

I don't think this is related, but just in case....

After I switch back the LCDs to the original computers; I try to run a backup of my PC to a Seagate external HD -- with Seagate's BounceBack program. The PC crashed with that Blue screen while scanning the source drive. I ran it again, and the same thing happened. I have ran that program before with no problems. As I said, this may be unrelated.

My computer knowledge is basically at the user level. I can change/add HD, RAM, other adaptor cards. That's about it. I have no idea what a capacitator is and have not done any soldering (don't even have a soldering device).

With respect to "Have you another lead you can connect the monitor to the PC with."; do you mean another video cable? If not, what do you mean by "lead".

With respect to "...what is now sporadic will get worse and may create an even bigger problem in future as when a cap is deteriorating it is putting pressure on other more expensive and difficult to replace components.", what expensive components are you referring to?

This Dell Dimension 2400 is 7-10 years old? Unless it is something simple that I can handle, it is probably not worth paying someone to fix it.

Still, I would like to know, if possible, whether the problem is on the PC side; or the LCD.

Someone suggested that I stress test my PC with SiSoftware's Sandra. I downloaded Sandra Lite 2012; but for something reason, I couldn't get the stress test to run. All I manage to get is the benchmarks; and analysis of the various components.

The Benchmark was "finished successfully" except the following - video related:

////////////////////

1. GP (GPU/CPU/APU) Processing
            Analysing...
            Error (339) : No devices found. : No devices found. : GP call failed. Try another interface (e.g.
            OpenCL/ComputeShader/CUDA/etc.) or update video drivers.
            Finished Successfully : No

2. Video Rendering
            Analysing...
            Error (335) : Direct3D 9.3 Device(s) : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (PS2.0, VS2.0 250MHz, 128MB
            DDR 810MHz 64-bit, PCI) : Display call failed. Try another interface or update video drivers.
            Error (335) : OpenGL Device(s) : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (PS2.0, VS2.0 250MHz, 128MB DDR
            810MHz 64-bit, PCI) : Display call failed. Try another interface or update video drivers.

3. Processor Multi-Media
            Analysing...
            Aggregated Score : 4.84MPix/s
            Result ID : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz (2.2GHz, 512kB L2)
            Speed : 2193MHz
            Capacity : 1Unit(s)
            Power : 60.06W
            Finished Successfully : Yes

4. GP (GPU/CPU/APU) Bandwidth
            Analysing...
            Error (339) : No devices found. : No devices found. : GP call failed. Try another interface (e.g.

Video Memory Bandwidth
            Error (1) : Execution has failed!

The module may not be compatible with your computer's current configuration.

/////////////////

Also on Sandra's analysis of the monitor, is it usual for the "Established Timing" to be different from the "Standard Timing"?

SiSoftware Sandra
            Monitor/Panel
            Manufacturer : AOC International (Europe) GmbH
            Model : AOC 2217
            Maximum Resolution : 1680x1050
            Horizontal Scan Range : 31.0-80.0kHz
            Vertical Refresh Range : 56.0-75.0Hz
            DPMS Energy Star Compliant : Yes
            PnP/DDC Monitor Data
            Manufacturer : AOC International
            Device ID : AOC 2217
            Serial Number : B92B
            Date of Manufacture : Tuesday, December 02, 2008
            Type : RGB colour
            Display Size : 22.0"
            Horizontal/Vertical Display Size : 47 / 30 cm
            Input Signal Type : Analogue
            Gamma Factor : 2.20
            DPMS Modes Supported : Off
            EDID Version : 1.03
            Established Timings
            Mode 0 : 720x400 70Hz
            Mode 1 : 720x400 88Hz
            Mode 2 : 640x480 60Hz
            Mode 3 : 640x480 67Hz
            Mode 4 : 640x480 72Hz
            Mode 5 : 640x480 75Hz
            Mode 6 : 800x600 60Hz
            Mode 7 : 800x600 72Hz
            Mode 8 : 800x600 75Hz
            Mode 9 : 832x624 75Hz
            Mode 10 : 1024x768 87Hz
            Mode 11 : 1024x768 70Hz
            Mode 12 : 1024x768 75Hz
            Mode 13 : 1280x1024 75Hz
            Standard Timings
            Mode 0 : 1024x768 (4:3) 72Hz
            Mode 1 : 1280x1024 (5:4) 60Hz
            Mode 2 : 1280x1024 (5:4) 70Hz
            Mode 3 : 1280x1024 (5:4) 72Hz
            Mode 4 : 1280x960 (4:3) 60Hz
            Mode 5 : 1680x1050 (16:10) 60Hz
            Mode 6 : 1440x900 (16:10) 60Hz
            Mode 7 : 1440x900 (16:10) 75Hz

Also, the little that I know, there is only one Optimal resolution and Hz for each LCD. Do all those Hz refer to CRT monitors?

My AOC 2217 is set at 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz.

Comment

I tried to edit my previous message; but when I click on "Go Advance", it leads me to a new reply.

Anyway, this is an image of the "Blue Screen" that was referenced in my previous message.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BadCaps345 View Post
                I have a laptop that is connected to an external Smasung LCD 933bw; so I switch the 2 monitors -- by changing the connectors at the computer end (if it makes any difference). Both boot up fine. But since the problem is sporadic, does this prove anything?
                Just to get it clear are you saying your normal set up is a PC with the AOC
                monitor and a laptop with the Samsung monitor.

If so can you run the PC with the Samsung and the laptop with AOC over the time period the fault would normally present. That would verify if the fault was with the monitor or the PC.
                What is sporadic, once a day/week/ month?
                I don't think this is related, but just in case....

After I switch back the LCDs to the original computers; I try to run a backup of my PC to a Seagate external HD -- with Seagate's BounceBack program. The PC crashed with that Blue screen while scanning the source drive. I ran it again, and the same thing happened. I have ran that program before with no problems. As I said, this may be unrelated.
                It may be, see reply to your blue screen post.

My computer knowledge is basically at the user level. I can change/add HD, RAM, other adaptor cards. That's about it. I have no idea what a capacitator is and have not done any soldering (don't even have a soldering device).
                Not going to be easy then, if the monitor is faulty and needs capacitors replacing are you going to buy soldering equipment and practice?

With respect to "Have you another lead you can connect the monitor to the PC with."; do you mean another video cable? If not, what do you mean by "lead".
                Yes - what other leads do you have connecting PC to Monitor?

With respect to "...what is now sporadic will get worse and may create an even bigger problem in future as when a cap is deteriorating it is putting pressure on other more expensive and difficult to replace components.", what expensive components are you referring to?
                Hardly relevant if you have no idea what a capacitor is, however I was thinking of mosfets, transformers, diodes and bridge rectifier.

This Dell Dimension 2400 is 7-10 years old? Unless it is something simple that I can handle, it is probably not worth paying someone to fix it.

Still, I would like to know, if possible, whether the problem is on the PC side; or the LCD.

Someone suggested that I stress test my PC with SiSoftware's Sandra. I downloaded Sandra Lite 2012; but for something reason, I couldn't get the stress test to run. All I manage to get is the benchmarks; and analysis of the various components.

The Benchmark was "finished successfully" except the following - video related:

////////////////////

1. GP (GPU/CPU/APU) Processing
                Analysing...

2. Video Rendering
                Analysing...
                Error (335) : Direct3D 9.3 Device(s) : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (PS2.0, VS2.0 250MHz, 128MB
                DDR 810MHz 64-bit, PCI) : Display call failed. Try another interface or update video drivers.
                Error (335) : OpenGL Device(s) : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (PS2.0, VS2.0 250MHz, 128MB DDR
                810MHz 64-bit, PCI) : Display call failed. Try another interface or update video drivers.

3. Processor Multi-Media
                Analysing...
                Aggregated Score : 4.84MPix/s
                Result ID : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz (2.2GHz, 512kB L2)
                Speed : 2193MHz
                Capacity : 1Unit(s)
                Power : 60.06W
                Finished Successfully : Yes

4. GP (GPU/CPU/APU) Bandwidth
                Analysing...

Video Memory Bandwidth
                Error (1) : Execution has failed!

The module may not be compatible with your computer's current configuration.

/////////////////

Also on Sandra's analysis of the monitor, is it usual for the "Established Timing" to be different from the "Standard Timing"?

SiSoftware Sandra
                Monitor/Panel
                Manufacturer : AOC International (Europe) GmbH
                Model : AOC 2217
                Maximum Resolution : 1680x1050
                Horizontal Scan Range : 31.0-80.0kHz
                Vertical Refresh Range : 56.0-75.0Hz
                DPMS Energy Star Compliant : Yes
                PnP/DDC Monitor Data
                Manufacturer : AOC International
                Device ID : AOC 2217
                Serial Number : B92B
                Date of Manufacture : Tuesday, December 02, 2008
                Type : RGB colour
                Display Size : 22.0"
                Horizontal/Vertical Display Size : 47 / 30 cm
                Input Signal Type : Analogue
                Gamma Factor : 2.20
                DPMS Modes Supported : Off
                EDID Version : 1.03
                Established Timings
                Mode 0 : 720x400 70Hz
                Mode 1 : 720x400 88Hz
                Mode 2 : 640x480 60Hz
                Mode 3 : 640x480 67Hz
                Mode 4 : 640x480 72Hz
                Mode 5 : 640x480 75Hz
                Mode 6 : 800x600 60Hz
                Mode 7 : 800x600 72Hz
                Mode 8 : 800x600 75Hz
                Mode 9 : 832x624 75Hz
                Mode 10 : 1024x768 87Hz
                Mode 11 : 1024x768 70Hz
                Mode 12 : 1024x768 75Hz
                Mode 13 : 1280x1024 75Hz
                Standard Timings
                Mode 0 : 1024x768 (4:3) 72Hz
                Mode 1 : 1280x1024 (5:4) 60Hz
                Mode 2 : 1280x1024 (5:4) 70Hz
                Mode 3 : 1280x1024 (5:4) 72Hz
                Mode 4 : 1280x960 (4:3) 60Hz
                Mode 5 : 1680x1050 (16:10) 60Hz
                Mode 6 : 1440x900 (16:10) 60Hz
                Mode 7 : 1440x900 (16:10) 75Hz

Also, the little that I know, there is only one Optimal resolution and Hz for each LCD. Do all those Hz refer to CRT monitors?

My AOC 2217 is set at 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz.
                I have no experience of Sandra Lite 2012 are there instructions on how to
                analyse the results?

Looks like it cant find the video card ?
                Did you clean and reseat the video card - maybe also update the drivers.

Comment

I tried to edit my previous message; but when I click on "Go Advance", it leads me to a new reply.

Anyway, this is an image of the "Blue Screen" that was referenced in my previous message.
                  If you cut and paste bits out of the warning eg 0x0000007E and fastfat.sys into google then you may find out what the fault relates to.

A quick look suggests reseating ram video cards and other peripherals updating drivers and so on - even suggests that fastfat.sys may be corrupt or
                  even the one running may be a virus.
                  So Id suggest run a virus scan, reseat ram and video card and check hard disk data cable is plugged firmly at both ends.

Comment

Read this artical may help
                    http://en.netlog.com/clliffordheadle...blogid=6998042

Comment

You are correct in the set up of my 2 computers.

In the last month or so, it happened twice. 1st time the screen went black shortly after the PC is powered on and I was away from my PC; and I couldn't "wake up" the screen. 2nd time, the screen "went haywire" at power on. Both times, when I power off my PC and turn it back on after 30 minutes, everything is fine. I don't know whether everything would be fine if I turn it back on after 30 seconds.

I think I have another VGA cable. But I guess there is no point trying that cable unless I have another episode of this problem.

I think I have the latest driver for the video card. Nvidia's driver search is not currently working. I'll have to look there again.

Just to get it clear are you saying your normal set up is a PC with the AOC
                      monitor and a laptop with the Samsung monitor.

If so can you run the PC with the Samsung and the laptop with AOC over the time period the fault would normally present. That would verify if the fault was with the monitor or the PC.
                      What is sporadic, once a day/week/ month?

It may be, see reply to your blue screen post.

Not going to be easy then, if the monitor is faulty and needs capacitors replacing are you going to buy soldering equipment and practice?

Yes - what other leads do you have connecting PC to Monitor?

Hardly relevant if you have no idea what a capacitor is, however I was thinking of mosfets, transformers, diodes and bridge rectifier.

I have no experience of Sandra Lite 2012 are there instructions on how to
                      analyse the results?

Looks like it cant find the video card ?
                      Did you clean and reseat the video card - maybe also update the drivers.

Comment

If you cut and paste bits out of the warning eg 0x0000007E and fastfat.sys into google then you may find out what the fault relates to.

A quick look suggests reseating ram video cards and other peripherals updating drivers and so on - even suggests that fastfat.sys may be corrupt or
                        even the one running may be a virus.
                        So Id suggest run a virus scan, reseat ram and video card and check hard disk data cable is plugged firmly at both ends.
                        I have 2 copies of fastfat.sys on my PC; I scan them with Norton AV; and they are clean. The files size also conforms to one of the sizes listed as being real files.

I will run a full diagnostic on my HD.

Comment

Originally posted by 1supertech View Post
                          Interesting that it is sort of a catch all error. I will run a diagnostic on my HD.

Comment

Can you open the computer and inspect the video card ? Does it have a fan ? Is it running ok ? Also, observe if the capacitors in it are bulging. If you aren´t sure, post good pictures of the card here so somebody can advise .

Comment

I have 2 copies of fastfat.sys on my PC; I scan them with Norton AV; and they are clean. The files size also conforms to one of the sizes listed as being real files.

I will run a full diagnostic on my HD.
                              I ran SeaTools for DOS' Long test twice. Passed both times.

I am wondering. Since the Blue Screen happened when I tried to run the Backup software to the external [USB] drive; is there a free diagnostic software that I can use to test that external drive?

Comment

Originally posted by rogfanther View Post
                                Can you open the computer and inspect the video card ? Does it have a fan ? Is it running ok ? Also, observe if the capacitors in it are bulging. If you aren´t sure, post good pictures of the card here so somebody can advise .
                                I'll do that and report back [before 9 am tomorrow].

Comment

I'll do that and report back [before 9 am tomorrow].
                                  Here are the front and back of the video card.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

They seem to be ok. Well, like the others said : exchange the monitors between machines, and give them time to have the problem ( or not ) . If it is something with the pc, it will happen with the second display as well

Comment

Working...
                                    X