Where to put the white wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to put the white wire?

So my power strip with switches for each outlet just randomly shut off for no apparent reason, so I opened it up and found this:

The neutral wire came loose! I'm not really an expert on circuits (I just replace capacitors because it's obvious), so where should I solder the white wire back on???

Re: Where to put the white wire?

follow the black wire! should be close to where it is soldered on the board!

Comment

I couldn't find any extra holes on the board. lol

Comment

It gets soldered straight on the metal blade

See picture :

Attached Files

Comment

It doesn't reach that far. Also, isn't soldering it directly to the hot wire creating a short?

Comment

The one you pointed out looks like it has the black wire going to it...

Also, where did you find such a strip??

Comment

Oh sorry, that's the solder spot for the black wire. I assumed the round hole in the strip was for the cable, but it's actually for the switch.

So the black wire is soldered directly to the metal band, the green (earth) wire is also connected directly. Either way, it's a lousy strip, kinda unsafe in my eyes.

So the white wire has to go through the switch on that small PCB.

I see both white and black wires going from one side of the switch to the metal blades, and it seems like the black wire from the cable is connected on the other side of the switch.
              So logically and simetrically, the white wire should be soldered on the other side of the white wire on the small pcb with the switch.

I don't see the switch from all angles, just two which don't show if there's a hole behind those MOVs or to their right.

Comment

Look careful at the solder on the loose white wire, it can help you determine where it belongs. If it has broken solder look for it's mate. I'll bet you'll find what looks like a dent or knife mark on the side of it not to far from the end. That switch or circut breaker most likely has a "stab" a hole on it's side that has a brass blade on the inside angled inward to catch and make contact similar to what you find on many switches and outlets in your home. They should be outlawed.

Comment

Will that White (Neutral) wire reach the Neutral buss bar where the other white wire is attached to? The Black (Line/Hot) from the power cord should feed the input side of that black Thermal circuit breaker, the output side of the breaker will go to the Line/Hot buss bar, the ground (Green) will go to the Ground buss bar.
                  The 3 green devices on the circuit board are MOV's for surge protection, one will be connected between Line and Neutral, second will be between Line and Ground, third one will be between Neutral and ground.
                  I can also see the green ground wire insulation is busted. If I were you I would get a new an d better built one, that Neutral should not come off that easy, they suppose to wrap the wire on the terminal and solder. Cheaply made and dangerous for the owner.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

You are right; this is a cheap bastard. Going to just throw it in the trash and get a new one since I don't want to short anything out by continuing to use this. lol Thanks guys!

Comment

I'd at least save it for the switches and power cord if it were me. I'd probably fix it though... I've seen far worse.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by Technoguy3 View Post
                        You are right; this is a cheap bastard. Going to just throw it in the trash and get a new one since I don't want to short anything out by continuing to use this. lol Thanks guys!
                        Good decision

I had one where the switch broke. The switch stayed half-on, and it started arcing and melting . I took the switch out, bypassed it so the outlets were permanently on.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                        X