Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super! I just tweaked my Asus P2B-F motherboard! It now has a slot 1 Coppermine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super! I just tweaked my Asus P2B-F motherboard! It now has a slot 1 Coppermine!

I found a web site of how I can take out my Katmai 450 Mhz and put in a Coppermine 850 Mhz!

I decided to first check the Vcore regulator chip and the code indicates I have a late revision P2B-F. Then I flashed the BIOS in DOS to 1013.

Then I cleared the CMOS and swapped the processor.

Turned on the power... It's POSTing!

I just put the motherboard back to use, because I have another slot 1 motherboard, an Intel, that isn't looking so good in comparison:
    1: There's an odd looking cap, it looks like it wants to bulge, lol. Looks like it may be a silver Nichicon.
    But I can't confirm it's bulging. It's a cap with no vent. Between PCI slots.

2: That board has mostly Nichicon PWs next to the processor.

3: But unfortunately, it's looking more like the Intel motherboard is from the PRC, so I decided to junk it.
    Even though it has OSCON caps, (blue) but, there's only 3 of them.

So I decided the Asus P2B-F is the winner! ROC goodness! Which, it's loaded with United Chemicon LXZs, IIRC and Rubycon YXGs.
    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Re: Super! I just tweaked my Asus P2B-F motherboard! It now has a slot 1 Coppermine!

Remind me, what exactly is wrong with nichicon PW?

My Intel CuMine slot 1 board (a VC820) has PW and PW IIRC is a good series. Since you can't overclock, I don't see whats wrong with PWs.

If you were going to OC, you might have a point, but you didn't mention an OC.

Edit- Your intel board is made by foxconn... Yeah, PRC (I think), but it's not a mark against the quality given the era in which it was made.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Re: Super! I just tweaked my Asus P2B-F motherboard! It now has a slot 1 Coppermine!

I actually didn't think there was anything wrong with PWs.

I almost kept the Intel board going, but, there's an odd looking cap between PCI slots. That made my score go down enough to junk it.
      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 10-10-2012, 12:22 AM.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

Comment

There is indeed nothing wrong with PW series, and there never has been.

At least during this era, ASUS gear was actrually very good. Not like some of the stuff they come out with nowadays.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Pics coming soon.....
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Why not go full Tuallatin PIII-S on this? You can take it to 1.4Ghz without any overclocking. You need a Tualatin adapter. There were two made. The first was the one from Powerleap, which had its own VRM. These are quite rare, and I saw one being bidded on for over $100 somewhat recently. The second is the much more common Upgradeware Slot-T. I think I bought mine for like $20 more than 10 years ago.

The only thing to keep in mind when running the FSB on the BX chipset at 133mhz is to set the PCI multiplier to 1/4, and that you use an AGP card which is not so sensitive to the AGP frequency overclock. The AGP runs on either a 1/1 or 2/3 multiplier (i.e. it's meant to run at 66mhz on either the 1/1 or 2/3 ratio setting). At 133mhz, it's running at 89mhz.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

My Asus P2B-F has this regulator:

http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pd...IP6019BCB.html
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

Comment

Working...
              X