Asus VE205 .... 2seconds to black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus VE205 .... 2seconds to black

You measured the power supply voltage to the controller; Let me get back to that in a moment.
    Measure the enable or back light on voltage positive lead on pin 16 lead,what voltage reading do you get with the back lights on and off?
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Sorry, measured the wrong thing.

Using pin 16 (ENA pin) and pin 5 (as gnd).

Power on the monitor and LED light turns blue...........
      Pin16 DC voltage relative to pin 5 is........2.9Volts

when LED light goes orange the Pin16 value drops to 0.1Volts

Is this what you wanted measured? If not just let me know.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Welchs101 View Post
        ok, reconnected computer to monitor
        powered on computer
        powered on monitor

LED light comes on as blue and stays blue..........screen will flash with computer desktop but then goes blank...........even after monitor goes blank LED light is blue.........
        Do you still have a siginal going to the monitor when you are checking voltage to the controller?
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

hummmm......good question. I did not connect the computer....let me do that and repeat the measurements. sorry about that.

Comment

with computer connected............

P16 initially is at 2.9Volts........

then fluctuates to around 0.1V

then fluctuates back to 2.9V and just stays there

LED light stays blue entire time during measurement

Comment

Good,now would you measure pin 11 VDDA.
              With a signal applied to the monitor.

Comment

pin 11 with computer connected relative to pin5 (gnd) is 5.0V.

Comment

When monitors first turn on they go through a self test of the inverter. By turning the back lights on to full brightness to check for proper voltage and current flow. So the back light on voltage starting high and going low and then going back high in my opinion is OK.
                  As long as pin 11 VDDA stays the same when the backlights are on and off, that also should not be a problem.
                  Even if a schematic was available this would be a difficult one to diagnose.
                  At this point I am out of ideas.

Comment

alexanna, i really appreciate your help......thanks.

lets see if anyone else on here has any ideas. if not, no worries, as i said i was trying to do my neighbor a favor by fixing but with all the "black friday" deals going on they should be able to get a new monitor cheap......not as cheap as "0" but still cheap.............

Comment

Just curious about the IC Alpha-Omega 4614......

IC: alphaomega 4614
                      https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...0e94bf963c.pdf

How to make measurments to verify this is a good part? Any ideas?

Comment

How to make measurments to verify this is a good part? Any ideas?
                        For mosfets, I check for shorts between source-gate, source-drain, drain-gate. The AO4614A has two of each.

So test S1-G1, S1-D1, G1-D1, S2-G2, S2-D2, G2-D2. Any reading under 30 ohms suggests a short. I normally test "in circuit" and if I get a reading under 30 ohms, then I desolder and retest.

Others test mosfets like this ...

http://www.4qdtec.com/mostest.html
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There are two alpha omega 4614 chips..........they both measure the same

S1-G1: PINS 3,4: 5.1Kohm
                          S1-D1: PINS 3,6: 1meg to 3megohm
                          G1-D1: PINS 4,6: 1meg to 3meg ohm
                          S2-G2: PINS 3,4: 10.1Kohm
                          S2-D2: PINS 3,6: 2meg to 3megohm
                          G2-D2: PINS 4,6: 2meg to 3meg ohm

so i guess these are ok........

any ideas on other things to check?

Comment

Although the resistance readings look ok, they still do not confirm for certain if they are working.They are complimentary mosfets,and need to be tested to see if they do switch on and off.It may be worth a try doing that using the diode test function on your meter,hope the following helps, if you are not sure what to do.The system shown still applies to your mosfet drivers even though they are not 3 pin devices.
                            http://www.4qdtec.com/mostest.html

Comment

hi,

ok. i followed the directions of the link.

on diode check mode:NPN device
                              On say one of the IC's i put the blk lead to the source S1 and then touch the gate G1 (red lead) for about 2 sec then place red lead onto the drain D1. The voltage reading starts out at ~ 2V then increases until i guess it maxes out the diode check meter at ~ 2.5V.

I then repeat this on the other IC-4614. However, on this one i can get a reading once i place the red lead onto the drain. I go back to the first IC and try and repeat the procedure and i cant get a reading. If i wait a while and repeat the procedure on the first IC i can sometimes get a reading like i did the first time. But i cant get a reading on the 2nd IC no matter what i do.

Is this the only way to check the IC? I dont read any shorts as best i can tell.

Have not checked P-channel devices yet.......wanted to make sure i was doing it correct first.

Comment

just maybe they need to be out of cct.

Comment

is there some way to test it in circuit .........maybe while its powered on? To see if the device is working as it should?

Comment

anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

anyone have any thoughts?
                                      The AO4614 is a complementary pair of enhancement mode mosfets. What the big words mean is it contains one N-channel and one P-channel mosfet.

The test you are doing is for an N-channel mosfet; for a P-channel you would reverse the leads, and should get a similar result.

The fact that you get a brief reading on the first IC indicates it is working; there are several reasons you might not get a reading on the second IC, one of which is it may be defective. Another possible reason is the components driving the gate are turning it off quickly.

The best approach is to remove it from the circuit board and test. A second approach would be to rig up a tester which would allow you to maintain the voltage on the gate while checking the source-drain voltage. That could be as simple as a second DMM with diode test mode.

PlainBill
                                      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

interesting........never thought about using another DMM. Let me see if i can find one............if that does not work then i may just ahve to remove the IC from the circuit.

thanks for the ideas.

Comment

i could not find another DMM so i think i am just going to try and take the IC out.

I did have a question though. If it is bad...........i looked online to find a replacement and .........i couldnt find one.

I checked digikey but they dont have any all they have is a AO4612 but i am not sure this would work. Any ideas on where to find a replacement part?

Comment

Working...
                                          X