Kid killed while working on computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kid killed while working on computer

thats a load of bull if a psu only costed $20 id buy one. i cant even get a used one for less then $50.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by Phaihn View Post
      thats a load of bull if a psu only costed $20 id buy one. i cant even get a used one for less then $50.
      You can get new ones for $10... They may be a gutless powmax with LED fans though...
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I think there is a chance the PSU was so fucked up it kept a charge that was waaaay too high and didn't discharge it. Ether way, I've worked on computers with them plugged in and on.

I can't see how a 'burn' can kill. I bet he got burnt and died otherwise. A single "burn" would indicate the electricity would not move across his chest to actually cause arrhythmia.
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          You can get new ones for $10... They may be a gutless powmax with LED fans though...
          well in my town and even if i ordered something online the shipping would kill off any savings.
          My Computer.
          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
            May be? Certainly would be
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

There are allot of errors in this video, but at the same time I think you guys are playing it down too much aswell.
              Sure a working bleeder resistor will discharge the primaries in less than the time it takes you to disassemble the PSU, but if those are not working then it can surely hold a charge for several hours.
              And they where afterall talking about $20 crap powersupplies so who knows if it even had a bleeder resistor to begin with, I bought a charger on eBay for an old camera, no point in shelling out $$$ for it because the camera is very old anyways.
              The damn thing did not have bleeder resistors or protection diodes on the primary inputs.
              When I disconnected it from the wall I accidentally touched the power cord and got zapped by the cord plugs, like wtf China!?

As for the electrical burns I am highly skeptical that is the reason, a burn is created when power enters and leaves the body at points in close proximity, I have an old electrical burn on my right underarm, from accidentally touching a live heatsink in a powersupply when measuring it with a multimeter.
              Sure that was not so nice but then again not that bad that it even scared me much.
              What once scared me and I am sure could have killed me was when I was holding a PSU by it's chassis and touched it's heatsink to see if it was hot, little did I know that the heatsink was live so current passed into my left arm and out of the right arm directly to a perfect ground.
              Let me tell you this was a very very scary feeling, I could feel the electricity in my collarbones, thankfully the electricity took that path instead of via my heart... But my point is that this shock did not leave any permanent visible marks...

So is the story possible?
              Well sure he could have a weak heart or some other condition where it would be enough with the charge held by the primary capacitors to kill him if their bleeder resistors where broken or not installed.
              It is more likely though as others said that the PSU actually was plugged in while he where working on it and when he got shocked he pulled the PSU with him as he fell to the floor thus unplugging it.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I agree. The PSU was probably plugged in the outlet.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                X