Atten 858D review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atten 858D review

Retiredcaps has got me into watching crazy dave's videos and I came across this. Looks like they only cost around £35 and they might come in hand for removing SMD IC's rather than trying to use the soldering iron all the time.

What do you think?

ATTEN 858D Review
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Re: Atten 858D review

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
    Looks like they only cost around £35 and they might come in hand for removing SMD IC's rather than trying to use the soldering iron all the time.
    I borrowed my friend's non temperature controlled heat gun and use kapton tape to protect the surrounding components when removing SMD ICs like a sot-223. It takes about 30 seconds and I use low heat and use the smallest nozzle possible.

Check out norcal715's videos. He makes removing SMD ICs look easy with just a plain soldering iron. He does it faster than the time it takes to read this whole post.

His channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/norcal715

See him remove a 1117 regulator at (he starts at 8:45 and is done at 9:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNFzBJELFoU

He also shows some desoldering skills in his other videos.

PS. I added his Vizio/1117 video to my how to test a voltage regulator FAQ.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I don't know the difference between the 858D and the 858D+, but see this thread if you are thinking of getting one.

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/general...ework-station/
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I had a read of the Atten issue on the eevblog forum. That must have been a one off.

You do find some very good videos. I looked at the ones posted above and as always I it inspired me to find an old board and get the soldering iron out. Its strange how I seem to be able to desolder chips nice and easy when they are not important. But when I am concertrating on a chip that is important I tend to nearly mess it up.

The guy in the video scares me when he starts to touch parts of the tv and desolder just after turning it off. Looks like he know what he is doing but going near a live transformer is crazy!

I havent seen a video of anybody desoldering from a really thick board yet? have you come across one of these videos?

Budm.... When are you going to get some video tutorials up and running? I am sure that they will make good viewing!

Comment

I have the Atten 858D+

It works OK but I don't have much use for it, I like to desolder surface mounted parts with my Hakko 936 more than using hot air gun.
          Probably used it 2-3 times.

My unit didn't have the fan ears on the sides chopped to fit in the handle (as you can see in the eevblog video), the fan was from the start without those.

The guy in the video scares me when he starts to touch parts of the tv and desolder just after turning it off. Looks like he know what he is doing but going near a live transformer is crazy!
          The only scary part is that he removed the mains cable and therefore there's no more ground to the tv.
          Otherwise, mains voltage and high voltage only exists on one corner of that board at the top which is the power supply. I don't see him touching that so it's nothing to worry about.
          The board with the tv tuner and decoding chips and all that only receives at best 24v DC at low amps so it's 100% safe to work on without special precautions besides making sure you're grounded (or discharged yourself of static electricity before you went to work on it).

Comment

Have you looked at the other video of him desoldering the Inverter straight after turning it off? Either way I would much prefer to stay well away from anything live.

Comment

I havent seen a video of anybody desoldering from a really thick board yet? have you come across one of these videos?
              PC motherboards are usually multilayer with lots of copper planes to suck away heat from the iron tip and most here recap motherboards with no problem.

In Dave Jones' soldering tutorial #2, he does show how tip size matters when dealing with a sot-252.

Some people use ChipQuik to help desolder stuff. See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Have you looked at the other video of him desoldering the Inverter straight after turning it off? Either way I would much prefer to stay well away from anything live.
                The inverter receives 12-24v from the secondary side and generates 700-1400v for the lamps. But it doesn't "hold" a charge in it.

Once the TV/monitor is off, only the stand-by section on the secondary side MAY be powered on the board. The secondary side dedicated for powering the inverter isn't active.

So he can do whatever he wants in that area, because it's nothing there that could cause problems.

Comment

Working...
                X