Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Instruments/tools needed for TV repair

Originally posted by tibimakai View Post
    I have got Mike's ESR meter yesterday(Thanks Mike!) and I have measured some caps with it and I'm a bit confused.
    I have measured two 1000uf capacitors and they showed like 2240uf and 0.09 ESR, that means it's bad or I'm picking up some other component's value?
    (budm, I'm talking about the Vizio's PS)
    If you are measuring two in parallel, you expect to get around 2000uF +/-20%. ESR will also be in parallel so the caps could have 0.18 ohms each or in the extreme 0.09 ohms and 100 ohms.) You should remove capacitors to get a definitive answer.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thank you, I will remove them.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
        Main thing about soldering iron, you need 40~60 watts capacity, low wattage will not hold up the heat well when the tip make contact with what you are trying to solder, especially when you try to solder the board with large copper area, it will suck the heat from the iron and you will end up lifting the trace because you will be waiting for the temperature of the tip to recover.
        What exactly is the trace? Isn't the trace the lines on the board under the green sheet that connect the components?

I have heard several times people say don't overheat the board or you'll damage the trace, but I never understood what the trace actually was.

I use a 30watt iron to desolder with a solder sucker, it works fairly well as long as I tin and clean it right before using it.

Comment

That is the trace, the copper lines between components.

Comment

Theres a oscilloscope localy on craigslist
            http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/tls/3000267272.html

I probably wont get it unless someone here knows that model (BK Precision model 2125) is a really good, amazing oscilloscope.
            Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

BK Precision just rebadge cheap crap from China - I'd avoid after seeing inside some of their analog scope offerings.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

check out the Rigol review from David at eevblog on Youtube.

Comment

Yeah after i posted that i saw that its their entry level scope, so not really anything special about it, can get a LCD one with as many features and so on.
                  Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Mine is already a 100Hhz for $314 shipped
                    The only bad thing about it is the noise level of the fan.

Comment

I made an adapter to my USB microscope, basically two 1/4-20 threads in an Aluminum rod.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Before that you just had to hold it? The stand for it looks pretty awesome!

Ive been busy with work for a few weeks, have I missed anything really interesting around here?

Comment

I did not have a chance to buy that USB microscope you have, I also saw you took the pictures of the board with Logitec, it comes out pretty good, too.
                          What do you use for your light source?
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

The microscope's stand it's to small. It's very good if do you want to take very close shots, but you can't use it from a higher position, that's why I have made that simple adapter and now I can use it with my tripod. With the tripod I have the option to move it in any direction.
                            It would be nice to install it on a workbench lamp(without the lamp) and still using the tripod adjustable part(without the three legs).
                            The Logitech webcam, has a Right light technology build in, a much better resolution, some kind of auto focus- not a real lens one, just some kind of always in focus technology, but it works well. There is an option to unclick the auto focus feature and it's possible to use the slider manually. I haven't played much with it, just installed it today.
                            With a regular digital camera it's a hassle to transfer the pictures to the PC.
                            With the webcam or microscope, the pictures are saved right into a folder.
                            I was pretty much out to0, because I don't have much to repair.
                            Bud, this is the way it goes with these repairs? It's a seasonal thing? I can't find almost anything for sale.
                            The first quarter it was very good. I'm thinking it was the tax money that caused that?
                            Now, the people are not watching much TV because it's summer?
                            I'm picking up 22" and up monitors as well, just to do something, because there is not much money in them.
                            I have just sold an LG today for $80. Picked it up for $35.
                            What is going on with PainBill? Anybody knows anything?

Comment

Just had this friend of mine build this TV stand. Any ideas for improvements?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                UNBELIEVABLE!!!! $20 sold for working Fluke 87V.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330725073380

If the seller meant $200, I wonder if he HAS to sell it for $20?

Almost got a heart attack when I saw this few minutes ago. Why? Well, in Croatia USED Fluke 87V is 300-350$, a new one is perhaps twice as much. Now, average salary here is 700$/month.

Actually, in this occasion, NOT selling it and NOT sending it to the buyer worth a negative feedback ;-)

Cheers!

Suad

Comment

Originally posted by scokljat View Post
                                  Why? Well, in Croatia USED Fluke 87V is 300-350$, a new one is perhaps twice as much. Now, average salary here is 700$/month.
                                  I'm not a Fluke fan boy, but after using almost 15 different makes and models, Fluke earned their reputation as a premium reliable multimeter for a good reason.

The build quality and ability to hold their accuracy is amazing. All my Fluke multimeters are used from all over the world in various conditions. None of them were purchased with any sort of calibration certification, but all of them are within 0.001V of each other. This includes two 20+ year old Flukes (both purchased for $20). The multimeters that have closed case calibration are still running with their original factory calibration settings (you can check the nvram to see how many times it has been calibrated).

I also have many non Fluke brands and 6 out of the 7 are 1% off from the Fluke.

For my present needs, I would NOT pay $500 CDN for a new Fluke 87V, but if I can get one in the $100 range used, I would certainly buy it and sell some of my other Flukes.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    UNBELIEVABLE!!!! $20 sold for working Fluke 87V.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330725073380

If the seller meant $200, I wonder if he HAS to sell it for $20?
                                    I folllowed up on this by looking through the feedback. He made a listing mistake and sold the 87V ultimately for $175 about 3 weeks later (easy to tell because he used the same pictures and everything). The original $20 buyer never left any comments (good or bad) so they may have worked out something privately?
                                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Very interesting follow up on that fluke being relisted a few days later. Some people are nice and understand that people make mistakes and probably didnt leave him bad feedback.

Your right tibikmaki, I havent seen almost any broken sets on craigslist in months, so I agree theres some odd seaonality to the broken set market. Heres to hoping it will be a fun winter. I dont try to agressively to find / buy broken sets though, could post dailys ads saying i buy broken TV's but I dont have time to wade through the emails / crazy people who want to sell their DLP's / crazy people who say they called the repair place and they said fixing the crack in their 55" TV would only be a $200 dollar part. (yet they dont want to invest that 200 into a 2000 dollar tv... )

Comment

The market it's getting slightly better. I have six TVs in my garage.

Comment

Have you gotten so good that you dont even have to post to ask for advice? Or just have budm on speed dial? j/j

Comment

Working...
                                          X