Dell 1707FPt No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 1707FPt No Power

I got this monitor apart and I don't see any for sure bad caps. I've read all the threads on this monitor, but no one ever listed the pin voltage going to the logic board. When I first put AC power to the main boad, I get 2.45vdc at the two top pins, then the voltage starts falling, finally going to .o1 volts.
    I have 163vdc across the large filter cap. Am I kooking at a cap problem somewhere?
    Attached Files

Re: Dell 1707FPt No Power

Originally posted by maybenever View Post
    When I first put AC power to the main boad, I get 2.45vdc at the two top pins, then the voltage starts falling, finally going to .o1 volts.
    Disconnect all boards from the power board. After doing so, are all the DC voltages on the pins stable and steady? List them like so

pin 1 = 0.0
    pin 2 = 2.45
    etc

If they are steady, then reconnect the main board and re-measure the same pins. Report your findings.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
      Disconnect all boards from the power board. After doing so, are all the DC voltages on the pins stable and steady? List them like so

pin 1 = 0.0
      pin 2 = 2.45
      etc

If they are steady, then reconnect the main board and re-measure the same pins. Report your findings.
      Board was disconnected when I was checking voltage. Pin 1 pin 2, same reading 2.45v and steady drop to almost nothing.

Comment

What about the other pin voltages?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

With board turned over, pins in the upper right corner, top pin (1) and pin 2 had voltage. Don't have the board at hand to recheck, but I think pin 3 also had voltage. pin 4 & 5 were gnd, and the rest of the pins had no voltage. I checked voltage at different spots, and where I found voltage, it was counting down like the pin voltage. I did find at one spot that had 21.5v, and it seemed to be steady.

Comment

What about the other pin voltages?
            Pin 1,2,3,&4 2.45vdc and droping, pin 5,6,7,8 = no voltage. pin 9 = .8vdc, pin 10 & 11, no voltage.
            That was yesterday when I had heat in my shop, 65 degrees.
            This moring, I wanted to check the voltage to be sure, no heat, it was 35 degrees, voltage changed.
            pin 1 thru 4 = 5.3 to 5.1, but not droping.
            pin 5 thru 8 = no voltage
            pin 9 = 1.5 to .5vdc
            pin 10 & 11 = no voltage.
            In one thread, you found pin 10 to be BL and pin 11 to be brightness adjustment ( I think ).

Comment

Update, went back in my shop this afternoon, 50 degree, pin 1 thru 4, 5.25vdc and holding. Pin 9, 1.73v and holding. Whats going on? Fired up the heater, held the board in front of it for a minute, voltage started droping, .01v per sec, all the the way to zero. Pin 9 seemed to stop at .03v. Pins 5 thru 8 check to be grounds, .05ohm between them and ground. This is a cap problem, right? Which ones first? (or all).
              Does anybody know what the voltage should be at these pins?

Comment

Does this picture help any? I've got most of those caps on hand (panny FM), I've got them all in the correct uf, but Dell used larger volt caps than most, I'd have to get some of those.
                Attached Files

Comment

I suspect someone has worked on this board before. I don't recall seeing United Chemi-con KY caps on a power board mixed in with Rubycon YXG. Both brand and series are good quality.

The fact that it fails when heated could be a cap problem or a bad solder joint.

If it was my monitor, I would reflow each capacitor joint with some fresh 60/40 solder and retest.
                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM. Reason: grammar
                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I'm going to work on it right now, I'll get back. I wish I knew to proper output voltage, seems like one pin should be 12 or 14 volts. No markings on either board (thanks dell).

Comment

Who makes these two caps? What brand and series?
                      Attached Files
                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It looks like SU Scon 0627 (M) 220uf 35v

Comment

It looks like SU Scon 0627 (M) 220uf 35v
                          I would replace those two for sure with Panasonic FR/FM/FC.
                          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I would replace those two for sure with Panasonic FR/FM/FC.
                            Thanks alot for the help. I've got those in 220uf 50v FMs, I'll give it a try.
                            I'm going over the back of this board with a 10x glass, if someone has worked on it, damm, they're good.

Comment

I'm going over the back of this board with a 10x glass, if someone has worked on it, damm, they're good.
                              I could be wrong on that. It is just surprising to see 3 different capacitor brands used. If they were all one brand, then I wouldn't suspect anything.
                              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I replaced the 220uf caps (circled in red), no change, voltage flopping between 5.14v & 5.25v, held board in front of heater a few seconds (a 35,000 btu space heater), voltage started dropping. I replaced the 10uf 50v cap (circled in yellow), voltage held steady at 5.25v on all 4 top pins. Pin 9 steady at 1.68v. After a few minutes (all voltages holding steady), I held it in front of heater, damm, the voltage did not drop, only flopped between 5.14v and 5.25v again. Unplugged AC, had a beer, plugged it back in, voltage steady again. Gotta be going in the right dirrection.The cap circled in green is a 4.7uf 50v, that one I don't have. Tomorrow, I'm connecting boards together and see if it has any life. I'll get back.
                                Attached Files

Comment

The yellow one is the startup cap. That would have been one I would have suggested next to replace after a 60/40 reflow.

The Su'scon had to go though.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The yellow one is the startup cap. That would have been one I would have suggested next to replace after a 60/40 reflow.

The Su'scon had to go though.
                                    That 4.7uf cap is a Su'scon, is it a startup cap?

Comment

That 4.7uf cap is a Su'scon, is it a startup cap?
                                      The green cap is on the other side of the optoisolator. It may be part of the feedback circuit?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What brand was the 10uf 50v cap (yellow)?
                                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                        X