Samsung SyncMaster Model 731N Distorted Display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung SyncMaster Model 731N Distorted Display

Okay now I understand. Some old sound cards might have fixed 1.8V regulators.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I will look at our old sound cards. I think we may have a few of them yet.

Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by trains58554; 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trains58554 View Post
        I will look at our old sound cards. I think we may have a few of them yet.
        I found one on an old sound blaster here at home.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

We only had two or three sound cards left and none of them had the chip.

Comment

@retiredcaps would a 6206a 18 work?

Thanks

Jay

Comment

@retiredcaps would a 6206a 18 work?
              6206a is a voltage regulator from the datasheets that I have seen and 18 is denoting 1.8V DC so it should work.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

well I think that chip would have worked if I would not of broken it. Oh well I guess I will just keep picking though the bone yard and maybe get lucky again.

Comment

Will the TLV1117-18CDCYR work?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

TLV1117-18CDCYR data sheet
                    Attached Files
                    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply I have looked at the data sheet and as far as I can tell it should work.

Thanks

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply I have looked at the data sheet and as far as I can tell it should work.

Thanks
                        Since you have access to the data sheet, you can test out the regulator by hooking up a 9V battery to the input and measuring the output with your meter. You should read 1.8V.

Comment

Hi All,

Thank you everyone I got my replacement voltage regulator and installed it now the monitor works just like it did when it was brand new.

Thank you everyone.

Jay

Comment

Well done Jay.

Thanks for letting us know that its worked out ok for you.
                            Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
                            Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Has anybody tried to figure out why this regulator fails? I have one of these monitors with no backlight (a completely unrelated problem), and I want to make sure I don't have any other problems once I fix the inverter. Is it just a cheap, low-quality part, or is there something else that will make even a name-brand part fail?

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                Is it just a cheap, low-quality part, or is there something else that will make even a name-brand part fail?
                                Vizio TVs seem to have a lot of problems with bad voltage regulators. While I'm no design pcb engineer, I suspect it is a combination of lowest possible cost parts and poor circuit design.

The regulators could be failing because they are designed without any "support" components or they are cheaper to use versus something more expensive.
                                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                  Vizio TVs seem to have a lot of problems with bad voltage regulators. While I'm no design pcb engineer, I suspect it is a combination of lowest possible cost parts and poor circuit design.

The regulators could be failing because they are designed without any "support" components or they are cheaper to use versus something more expensive.
                                  The circuit design is really strange. I could see Samsung screwing up the circuit design that badly. For some reason, they put random diodes in parallel with components in the inverter where diodes are not needed.

The regulators on my board are out of the 1% tolerance (1.76V for the 1.8V regulator and 3.25V for the 3.3V regulator), but they are probably a cheaper version with wider tolerances. The board still works perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                                    The regulators on my board are out of the 1% tolerance (1.76V for the 1.8V regulator and 3.25V for the 3.3V regulator), but they are probably a cheaper version with wider tolerances.
                                    Some datasheets I have seen say 2% is still within specifications.

The tolerance also depends on how accurate your multimeter is. Today's cheapest multimeters have 0.5% DCV accuracy and most of them use the Intersil 7106 chip or some variation. How long the cheap ones stay within the 0.5% is the key question.
                                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
                                    X