Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Panasonic, it was nice knowing you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Panasonic, it was nice knowing you.

Panasonic PSU from plasma TV (42"), latest generation.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Panasonic-Pla...Srw~~60_57.JPG

Aishi caps. Among other less "well known" caps.

I've pulled them from dead CCFLs.

Now only Sony remain on the list of good TVs, and Sony suck, they make good TVs but as a company, they suck.
    Last edited by tom66; 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Re: Goodbye Panasonic, it was nice knowing you.

At least they are easy to replace
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

The PSU seems like a big waste of PCB estate. I hardly see any components. Maybe there's lots of SMD ones on the other side? Definitely doesn't look like a PSU that a Panasonic would make/use. I have a mainboard from a Panasonic CRT TV here that I use for pulling random parts from and it looks 10X better built than the above example.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
        I hardly see any components. Maybe there's lots of SMD ones on the other side?
        I would say so. I can't see much stuff on the component side. Where are all the passive support components and the controller ICs?
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          The PSU seems like a big waste of PCB estate.
          From a troubleshooting and potentially soldering point of view, I would love to work on this board with lots of room versus the cramped ATX power supply.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

It's definitely one of their parts, the PbF logo in the leaf is fairly unique to them. But it does look like Darfon designed and manufactured it for them.

Figured out the green caps were Taicons from another shot (you can just about see "TAI" in this high res image:
            http://assets.shopjimmy.com/media/ca...K00006-TOP.jpg)

Also the Sus boards for the PDP also had crappy Aishi on them.

It's a real shame because the older Panasonics were built like tanks. I suppose they've make a record $10bn loss this year, so they need to cut back and try and make the businesses (like plasmas) more profitable. I hope it doesn't affect their nicer plasmas (such as the GT30.)

It appears to combine the SS and side buttons with the PSU.

Older Panasonic PSU: http://www.flattvparts.co.uk/bmz_cac...ge.980x619.jpg

Funny, because I just saw a Sony sustain board from their older plasma displays. Made by LG (they usually use LG PDPs), but look - it has Nichicons. That's interesting because LG normally use Samwha on their sustains. I guess Sony told LG that they must use these particular components for long term reliability.

I don't know why Panasonic don't use more of their own caps, but apparently it's cheaper to buy others in...
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              From a troubleshooting and potentially soldering point of view, I would love to work on this board with lots of room versus the cramped ATX power supply.
              Very true. I really do appreciate it when board manufacturers leave lots of space for caps and cooling.

Originally posted by tom66
              I don't know why Panasonic don't use more of their own caps, but apparently it's cheaper to buy others in...
              They used to is old equipment.
              Almost every component in that old CRT TV board I mentioned is made by Panasonic. It has Panasonic resistors, Panasonic polypropylene caps, Panasonic general purpose electrolytic caps, Panasonic inductors, chokes and transformers, and even most of the ICs are made by Panasonic (the headphone amplifier I built not too far back uses a Panasonic amp IC from that board).

Comment

Working...
              X