Fridge problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fridge problems

Not sure where to post but I guess weird devices should cover it.

Our hotpoint rl175x fridge has been playing up lately turning itself on and off. Would stay on a few hours then turn off a few hours and had started spoiling food. Lots of moisture.

So before ordering a new one thought i'd see if I can try a fix. So after a bit of googling I've replaced the thermostat as was a cheap part and worth the gamble.

Anyhow it's now running for a while and turning itself off but turning on again rather quickly (not a few hours off as it was before) time will tell if it still spoils food or not but hoping that's a good sign.

My question is, is this normal behaviour, my assumption is once up to temp as a power saving feature the thermostat shuts itself off and when temp drops a little turns on again?

Ive got it plugged into my kill o wat so can see it runs at about 80wats then when it switches off reads 0.05w
    Last edited by mikay786; 09-29-2016, 03:51 PM.

Re: Fridge problems

Sounds like bad solder joints, have you checked over the solder joints in the controller etc ?
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

If this a fridge has a controller board on the back of it or inside of it look for the power section for a switch power IC chip when you find that chip replace the caps that are low uf value if it still dose the same thing replace the switching power IC chip

I have fix a few these control boards before
      If this is a GE brand replace both caps and switching power IC chip
      When the caps by this chip goes bad it takes the chip with it

One note when you go to replace these parts on this board do not put a lot of heat on any one pad they will peal off the board if you use a desoldering station 700 *F is max temp for this board
      It is a double side board and the component hole like hold soldier and some time hard to clean it out
      I just replace the caps and the switching power IC at the same time and be done with it

I hope this helps
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-29-2016, 09:53 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

it wont be GE, it will probably be italian or turkish if it was sold in Europe.

the thermostat is the old alcahol filled copper tube with a pressure switch on the end.

Comment

Check the freezer when it has been off for about 3 minutes and see if you feel heat from the defrost coils. Maybe something wrong with the defrost timer.

Comment

It's just a fridge, no freezer.

Can't see any control boards, the one place I can see electronics of any kind is at the bottom rear of the unit where the compressor is but can't recall seeing any pcb.

Yes the thermostat is as described by stj and it is located behind the dial at the very top of the fridge located outside the internal compartments.

Comment

i think you should look at the compressor wiring.
              if it has a startup relay or cap then see if they look o.k.
              if you can wire a neon lamp to the compressor to actually see when it's powered it may help.

Comment

Will do, it seems to be OK as everything is nice and cool atm. Gonna let it run for a few days and see if food spoils.

What I described is that not normal, turning off and on?

Comment

Originally posted by mikay786 View Post
                  Will do, it seems to be OK as everything is nice and cool atm. Gonna let it run for a few days and see if food spoils.

What I described is that not normal, turning off and on?
                  If this off and on is done in a quick fashion then if there is a relay the contacts could be worn out. They get pitted and sometimes will not hold in. Whatever it is is not major. The main thing you know is the compressor works and the Freon is not leaking. It is some control circuit that is not working correctly all the time. Also, I believe some refrigerators have a defrost cycle even without a freezer. Attached says just refrigerators have defrost cycle
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by keeney123; 09-30-2016, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X