A good free anti virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A good free anti virus?

Hasn't Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition been discontinued now?
    I agree that it was a great antivirus. Basically the consumer edition but with no bloat at all!

I thought Symantec Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition has been replaced by Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
      I use symantec corporate.

Ya ya ya symantec is norton, but its not "norton" its completely different, and I always use it to clean up people's computers with avast and AVG installed, AVG and avast really only gets most of the virus, but leaves smaller spybots and stuff behind.

Symantec corporate with malwarebytes and superantispyware. Very potent combo.
      very EXPENSIVE combo. this is about free not expensive shit. dont buy from people who make crap. only makes more crap.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Well i am going to use AVG on this HP but when i get my board back and get a cpu i might try something else.
        My Computer.
        AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
        Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
        Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
        500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
        1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
        2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
          very EXPENSIVE combo. this is about free not expensive shit. dont buy from people who make crap. only makes more crap.

I get symantec corporate for free from my brother's work, and only use the free versions of malwarebytes and superantispyware.

Just if you are doing a scan like if you get a virus, I run symantec, then malwarebytes, then superantispyware. 99.99% of the time I just let symantec's rts scanner run.

A lot of people just run malwarebytes or superantispyware or other free AV (not talking about AVG free or avast, those are real virus scanners) and think they are fine. These are not real antivirus scanners, they are designed to work beside them to completely clean your computer.
          Last edited by 370forlife; 07-20-2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

I only use free stuff; AVG and Avast.

I have also tried Comodo IS on my Win7 test comp. Ever since I put iTunes on it, I get alerts after alerts....

Comment

I specifically remember cleaning off "Antivirus 2008" from a laptop with Symantec Endpoint Protection installed. And yes, it was updated.

I'm sorry, and I don't mean to offend, but Symantec = crap. Period.
              A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                simple solution:
                use linux. i prefer the ubuntu version. it will do anything windows can without the bloat and jacked up prices.
                Your solution doesn't work for my games. Not without a ton of work, and even then it's probably buggy. No thanks.
                Last edited by momaka; 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM.

Comment

So do what I do, dual boot! Do your useful work, web browsing, etc in Linux. Game in Windows. That way, your work is safely on a Linux partition that Windows, and it's viruses, cannot read. And since you're spending most of your time, and doing most of your web browsing, in Linux, there is a very low chance that the Windows install will get infected in the first place. And even if it does, it'll only be your games that get screwed up. Just format and reinstall the Windows partition and go on your way.

Comment

Symantec corporate was OK. Didn't seem to catch too many viruses but the system footprint wasn't as bad as regular norton. My friend got it from UIUC for free.

And remember there is this thing called bittorrent where everything is free. There are NO paid apps. At least not for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by acstech
                      So do what I do, dual boot! Do your useful work, web browsing, etc in Linux. Game in Windows. That way, your work is safely on a Linux partition that Windows, and it's viruses, cannot read. And since you're spending most of your time, and doing most of your web browsing, in Linux, there is a very low chance that the Windows install will get infected in the first place. And even if it does, it'll only be your games that get screwed up. Just format and reinstall the Windows partition and go on your way.
                      wine works for some games.
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

The thing is, I don't feel like messing with Linux (or dual boot for that matter). Maybe if I had nothing better to do I would give it a try. But then again I rather be messing with other stuff than that. And I'm not too worried about surfing from Windows either as there's only a handful of websites I visit so I should be considerably safe.
                        In fact, I've been running one of my computers without an anti-virus and firewall for a few months now (and that was a PC that I got for free with Windows XP, which by the way was full of viruses and spyware when I got it). Once I cleaned it, I put Spyware Blaster to fend off bad websites and that's it. Not a problem since then.

Comment

Good luck with that...

I've seen what happens when people claim they don't need antivirus on windows. I don't argue with them, I'll state my disagreement and go on my way. Arguing is a losing proposition. Then about 6 months to a year later they call up saying their computer isn't working right. Who'd have thought. Then I go out and fix it for $50 / hour, usually setting up antivirus and a firewall / router.

People need to be free to make their own mistakes. They understand much better after they get bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X