Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

Hello all,

Recently I have inherited a non-working 50" Samsung FP-T5074 plasma display television from my parents, and want to get it working by pretty much any means seeing as how it cost $2500 new and I don't have my own TV.

I am not sure if there was a storm or a power outage, but the day before the opening ceremony for the Olympics, my mother said that the TV just completely stopped working; this has happened once before, where the TV had a blinking power LED. They had an electronics repair shop fix it for around $200, and if it really comes down to it, I'm willing to pay to have this television fixed, but seeing as how I am somewhat electronically inclined (and have recently been slammed with medical bills), I would rather do it myself if it's possible.

Here is some information on the current situation of the television:

When I was given this set about 2 weeks ago, upon plugging it in, the power LED did not light up, nor was there any sound whatsoever from the set's insides. Following what I had read on the internet, I promptly went to partstore.com and bought some Samsung 12V 250A fuses to replace the ones on the PSU. After I had replaced them, I plugged in the set and it immediately, without me pressing the power button, started to power up, played its little power-up tune, and then started to go into a loop where it continued trying to power up. After about 3 attempts of it power up on its own, it seemed to start giving up and the time in between its attempts grew shorter until all the clicking from the PSU stopped, and the power LED started blinking; the LED would stay on for about 3 seconds, then would turn off for about 1 second, and repeat.

I have visually inspected all the capacitors in the set and none appear to have any bulging or solution oozing from them, however, I do not have a multimeter at the moment but I do have access to one, but not until Tuesday morning (US, central time).

I am prepared to test voltages, however I don't think that I am prepared to do any major soldering; about as much as I would feel comfortable doing would be replacing capacitors. I would feel much more comfortable replacing a board if that's what it comes to.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm sorry if I sound like a noob as this is my first post; I tried to be as detailed in my problem as possible, and I'm very sure that I'm not the first person to have this problem. Thanks to all in advace.

Re: Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

Do you have a camera to take pictures of the boards? The most common fault on plasma TVs (especially Samsung) is a shorted sustain board. I just replaced the X-main in a 42" Samsung for £17.80 (about $28.) You WILL need a meter though to debug the TV. You can pick up a cheap one that will do the job for $3 from "Harbor Freight", according to several users on this forum.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Re: Samsung FP-T5084 - Solved one problem, now have another (Clicking, Blinking LED)

I do have a camera. Let me know what you need pictures of and I'll start snapping away.

Comment

Can you take a picture of the whole back of the TV, then the two sustain boards - the boards that connect through the brown ribbons to the plasma panel, they are on the left and right of the screen.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Whole TV:

Left sustain board (not sure which is X, which is Y):

Right sustain board:

Please don't hesitate to ask for better or close-up photos, I know the lighting is a bit awkward but it was the best I could do given the distance/lighting/etc. If you need a more detailed picture of a certain component, I can make it work.

Comment

Those photos are fine.

The left board (looking from the back) is the Y-main board. It connects to the plasma panel thru the buffer boards. The right is the X-main board.

There is a large power connector going from the power supply to the X-main board. If you disconnect this, does the TV stop clicking? With the X-main disconnected, you will get a picture, but it will be quite poor (usually dim, slow to change, and sometimes purple-tinted.)

Comment

I disconnected the X-main power connector from the power supply and there was no change; the exact same thing happens. TV automatically tries powering up, clicking, stops short of completely powering up, then stops trying to power up altogether.

Comment

Okay, unplug power to the TV, wait 30 seconds, plug X-main power back in, then unplug Y-main (the other board.) With no Y-main, you will get no picture.

Comment

Same exact thing. I can see where you're going with this...is it somewhat safe at this point to assume that I'm going to need to replace the power supply?

Comment

Okay... not an obviously shorted sustain.

I'm hoping you won't have to replace the PSU. A power surge could also damage the main board. It can be eliminated by using a diagnostic Samsung build into some of their plasmas. Unfortunately in the majority of plasmas I have serviced the control board is hidden underneath the main board (the board with the video inputs on like HDMI.)

There is a little jumper block (like on a hard drive) on the control board - you can try jumping this and seeing if you get some test patterns on the screen.

Comment

Okay...I'm in the process of removing the main board right now to uncover the control board, as it is located underneath it. There is a small board protruding out of the PSU that has a jumper on it - any chance that serves a diagnostic purpose?

Comment

I'm going to presume probably not, or you would've had me try that first. In any event, I have access to the control board now and I see the two sets of jumpers: a set of four pins in a square with two vertical jumpers and a set of five horizontal pins with what appears to be one jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by illin407 View Post
                          I'm going to presume probably not, or you would've had me try that first. In any event, I have access to the control board now and I see the two sets of jumpers: a set of four pins in a square with two vertical jumpers and a set of five horizontal pins with what appears to be one jumper.
                          Can you take a picture of it?

Comment

Here is a picture of the jumpers up close:

And here is a picture of the control board:

Comment

I'm going to consult with a friend who has access to Samsung technical documentation on this TV. It is some combination of two pins that need to be connected.

Comment

Tom - Should be CN2013, pins 1 and 3 - CN2012 is the debug port to manually push firmware to the board.

Once Tom walks you through manually powering on your power supply ( i think PS_ON to ground?) you can perform the below test. Tom is much better at explaning how to turn on the power supplies better than me

Disconnect your main board from the power board and T-CON, also remove the FFC (cable) that connects TCON to the main board to prevent grounding.

Take a piece of wire, jumper, etc. and connect pins 1 and 3 together. Once done, plug power into the set, manually turn on power supply per Tom's directions - this should fire up the display (if sustains are good) and display test patterns.

Does it?

note: I DO NOT have a manual for this set
                                Last edited by crashp3; 08-10-2012, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Ah yes... OP - post a closer picture of the connectors going from your power supply to main board. There should be some labels near by.

Comment

Before I receive instructions on how to manually turn on the power supply, does the main board need to be connected to anything at all for this diagnostic test? Right now it is completely out of the TV and not connected to anything to make getting to the control board easier.

EDIT: Here is a photo of the connectors with their cables disconnected. The leftmost one had nothing plugged into it to begin with, but I'm sure you already knew that

Last edited by illin407; 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Okay, can you get hold of a 150 to 220 ohm resistor easily?

Comment

Unfortunately, no. Will RadioShack carry such a resistor? In any event, it is 7:30am where I am, and the earliest any electronics supply store will be open near me would be 9am; however, I am currently on medication and cannot drive myself, so it may take me longer to find someone to take me to a place where I can purchase one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X