Good Score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Score

I've got a friend with the recyclers who always keeps his eyes peeled for exotic computer and IT items, always grabbing, setting aside, and calling me if something unusual comes in that he thinks I might want..... He tells me a big rack mount server came in, weighing 130lbs, and he asks me if I want it... I asked for the model number, so I could find out what it is. Turns out to be an IBM Netfinity 7000 Server, sporting QUAD P3 Xeons @ 500MHz, 2gb RAM, and a 144gb RAID5 (4x 36gb 10krpm IBM SCSI HDD's) on an U160 SCSI raid controller. I'd hate to even know what this thing cost new set up like this.... It's running w2k a/s.

Ok, not a speed demon by any means, but it's a freight train!!! That machine is just unstoppable. With some bigger drives, it'll make one hell of a backup server, domain controller, and file server.... I'll post some pics of it once I get it all cleaned up and back together. It even came with the rack rails! Casing is in near perfect condition.

Man I love free shit!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Good Score

got a dell dual xeon box with 8 300gb u320 drives to pick up from a similar deal.
    dead power supplies.
    i fix stuff for the guy that sets stuff aside.
    i get a ton of lcd,plasma,pc lcd's,high end pc's,ect this way.
    his kids friends think he is a drug dealer.with 60"plasma sets on the wall in every room i can see why they think like that!
    just got a nice 50" dlp from him.needed a ballast kit and lamp.i will likely sell it tonight.

Comment

I'd be interested in a few of those 300gb drives...
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Pics of that IBM...NOW!

Comment

i traded a compaq presario 5000 with iq caps for a barebones emachines t5026. needed drives and a new psu, some zipties to improve airflow and it is as soltis as a rock. it had a crappy cpucooler that was upgraded whin i found for it a 3.0 ghz p4 presscott 630. it had 1.5gb of ram inside. with 64 bit and smart fan control off, the cpu cooler feels like the machine is off. it keeps cool really well...
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Damn, you are beating the pants of my HP ML370 server with raw storage alone.
            Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

what made the emachine so interesting was that the owner thought the board had bad caps when the crap was actually a burnt up bestec. only downside is it has no pci-e 16x slot. only solder-filled holes.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok, as promised, here's some pics. I didn't get any of the 4 CPU's, they're down in the bottom, and I didn't want to rip it all apart again. It has 2GB of RAM in it now, and the secondary memory board has 16 more empty slots (both RAM boards combined have 32 DIMM slots), so I'll have to scour ebay for some additional used RAM. The RAM for this machine is crazy expensive if I buy it new, its dirt cheap on ebay, if you're lucky enough to even find any. Like I said, it's not the fastest, but it's a freight train, it's seemingly unstoppable....and I beat on it good today.

it also sports HOT-SWAPPABLE PCI slots, SCA SCSI Backplane, External connectors for additional SCSI backplanes, and a triple-redundant PSU array

It's new goal in life:
                I removed 2 of the 4 36gb SCSI hdd's, and will replace them with some big ones (150gb or bigger), and mirror them. The 2 remaining were reconfigured in a RAID1, holding the OS. it'll be my LAN's domain controller, active directory, and file server. it'll be able to do all that with power to spare!!

Anyway, here's what she looks like:

This machine weighs 130lbs and is big, bulky, and awkward.... I had to wheel it in on a cart, I couldn't lift it very high... It's just sitting where it is temporarily, I have to make a permanent residence for it.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Very nice score.

My best score:

2004 date Samsung LCD 170N 17" Replaced LCD controller and microcontroller for about 25 dollars on a 9.99 value village (same company that runs Savers) that I told them it's not working. That how they pulled price down from sky high to this. Only semi badcap is one 10uF 16V SMD by the microcontroller for the VCC 5V. Changed for 22uF 50V and 2 SMD ceramic caps in parallel that were left off originally.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Nice ibm. Very nice cable management in it.

Trade you my compaq dl380 g1 for it

Comment

i once scored an iomega super dvd external dvd burner for 8 bucks at a good will. software and all included. runs great, was what made me feel good buying my eee pc then next week, although i use my usb stick for that thing. i once scored a logitech wingman extreme stick for 7 bucks at a good will. a month later i found another one out of town for 5. works fine. they both had the gameport to usb adapters with them.

i alsoscored a logitech harmony remote h628 for 2 bucks. also at goodwill.

i found a d-link airplus laptop card (wifi g) for 8 bucks. works fine.

my BEST goodwill find was a microsoft wireless optical desktop mouse/keyboard set for 15, still in (damaged) box. the units were ind perfect shape. they still sell for 80 bucks a set.

at a salvation army thrift store i found a netgear g+mimo router for 3 bucks. it died a few monthes ago and i loust my torx head to open it.
                      sigpic

Comment

oh, and i got a 2wire dsl router with 4 wired ports and wireless g for 2 bucks
                        sigpic

Comment

I just picked up a xeon duo-core 2.6 ghz! for $5 needs hd's. Even came with the keys!. Not sure what I will do with it yet but it looks cool
                          ^Learning to walk on rice paper without leaving a trace,

Comment

Holy crap. That server does indeed look like a freight train.

That VFD on the front looks pretty nifty.

Comment

I got some new Junk yesterday too. First one is and HP Pavilian. Since it has a Win98 sticker on it I don't think its much. The DVD-ROM drive in it is not working. Someone has put Xp Pro and other crap on its little hard drive. Its so full that there isn't enough room left for the OS to even start up, but it does try anyway.
                              The second one is a "White Box" home built. Its not very old. The box doesn't have any side covers with it but who cares. It will run cooler this way maybe.
                              The PSU, and DVD drives were missing too. Put a PSU, and a regular old CD-ROM drive in it last night and it booted. It has Xp Media installed on a 80 gig WD drive. AMD CPU, 2 gigs of RAM. I do have hope for this one. I was tired last night so I didn't check the thing out very well. If it still looks good after a close inspection today I'm going to look into shoving that Mobo into a Dell Box...LOL Its wonderful having a Son who is a Rollback operator for a large Repo company. He brings me any PC stuff that he finds in them. Someday he is going to find me something that is all the way very good.
                              "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                              Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                              John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                              Rod Serling

Comment

OK I checked out the "white box" unit, and its junk. The mobo is a K7S5A. The onboard sound chip is dead, and the AGP slot has a big chunk busted out of one side of it. I bet that if I take that card out I'll never get another one to seat and work in it. The CPU is only a 1GHZ AMD Athlon. The Ram is only PC133 stuff. The WD Hard Drive is still good. I guess I have more junk parts to put with the rest of my junk parts...
                                "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
                                Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
                                John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
                                Rod Serling

Comment

what size 133 ram? are you sre it wasnt ddr? that things has slots for both. or a mix? i might just buy that ram...
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 07-29-2009, 09:36 AM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

and model of the hp?
                                    sigpic

Comment

and model of the vid card?

about the ram:

this is your mobo (either ecs or asrock):

see it has slots for one or the other. id imagine you have ddr to have 2gb. if you had that much in sdram, then you have two rare server chips. the kind tc's new server uses.
                                      Last edited by ratdude747; 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                      X