Apple PowerBook G4 - no power, bad cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple PowerBook G4 - no power, bad cable

Recently I was given an Apple PowerBook G4, 400MHz, 128MB SDRAM, 10GB HD, 8MB video card, DVD-ROM. The original owner said I can keep it since it doesn't power up anymore and she has no use for it. I'm not exactly sure on the history of the laptop, but it came with a new main battery and PRAM battery (more on that at the end of the post). My guess is that whoever put in the new PRAM battery messed something up.

Here's some info on the PRAM battery: to change it, one has to remove the bottom cover of the PowerBook and then remove the DVD drive to get to the PRAM battery. Well, whoever did that service (whether it was the owner herself or some technician) didn't really do a great job. Every screw on the bottom half of the notebook was loose. Moreover, the back cover wasn't fully aligned/closed, a screw was missing, and there was an extra magnet (those are for holding the keyboard down) randomly rolling around in the motherboard area.

After I took the whole laptop apart, tightened everything, and put it back together, I noticed that the cable that hooks the PRAM circuit board and power button with the motherboard was bent. Upon closer inspection, I found it to be slightly torn on one edge. Apparently it got caught on an edge between the DVD drive and a plastic divider, mostly likely when the PRAM battery was changed.

I've included some pictures to show you the cable (sorry if they are a little blurry). Does anyone know where I can find one? The numbers on it say:
    (C)2000 Apple Computer Inc.
    632-013B-A B21-0213-A

I've tried Ebay, but didn't find anything.

As for the new main and PRAM batteries, those are from NewerTechnology Inc. (newertech.com). I did a quick research and didn't see many complaints online (no explosions that is ), other than the battery suddenly quiting without a warning when low. There are no certifications on them either (except for the CE mark, but I'm not really sure if it's legit or not).
    Well anyways, I'll probably use the original Apple batteries, but first I need to get a new cable. I don't think I can repair it easily, if at all.
    Attached Files

Re: Apple PowerBook G4 - no power, bad cable

CE Mark excluding stuff like medical which must be externally certified for compliance, is just a manufacturer's declaration that it meets the standard. therefore it doesnt mean shit. it is not relevant to quality just the safety aspects of the european standards.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Working...
    X