Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus P5Q-E: missing cap, no boot!

Hello eveyone,

Some weeks ago, I've bought on eBay an Asus P5Q-E (with Q6600 CPU and 8 GB RAM). When she arrived, I tested it. There's some problem with it.
    First, the MB need to boot twice before booting normally. After little tests, I note that:
    - if I reboot the MB, no problem, it boots fine;
    - if I shutdown the MB, wait 10 minutes, time for the MB to be cold, then, the issue occurs.

I've tested it with 3 different PSU, the same problem happens when the MB do a cold boot. OK, I've tested with almost nothing at all, only
    - the PSU: Fortron Blue Storm 500W (80+) (working good with another MB)
    - the CPU: Intel Q6600
    - 1 RAM stick (2 GB): Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D
    - the GPU: nvidia 9400GT
    - one USB keyboard and one USB mouse
    That's all.
    Nothing change. Every time I boot from cold state, every time I do a cold boot, the same issue: 2 boots, and when the MB finally boots, the POST BIOS displays a warning "F1 to enter BIOS" or "F2 to load defaults".
    If I do that, and then enter personnal settings in the BIOS Setup, like disable Asus Express Gate, disable Parallel Port and FDD, and so on, save the changes by F10, and finally shutdown the MB & wait 10 minutes before to boot again the MB, same things happen: all BIOS settings are erased except time & date ...

So, I disconnected everything & did
    - a HW (electrical) Reset
    - a Clear CMOS
    No luck, no changes.

After that, I dismantle the FAN and the RAD, and remove the CPU for repasting. After re-assembly, nothing at all!! Black screen, no sign of life!!
    So, I connected a beeper on the pins of system panel. I remove all RAM sticks and the GPU, and then I tried to boot the MB: again, there's no beep.
    Sounds like the MB is dead.

But why? Again, I remove everything and take a closer inspection of the MB ... and I see a capacitor is missing, near the LSI IEEE1394 chip:
    see the two first one pictures.

I think the missing capacitor is the same model of the one visible:
    see the last picture

I see markings on this capacitor, and I think it was enough easy to replace it, but what capacitor do I need? I can't determine what model is it? how can I choose the capacitor for replacement?

Any help will be very appreciate!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by asusman; 11-25-2014, 10:12 AM.

Re: Asus P5Q-E: missing cap, no boot!

Please repost your pictures on site and delete these.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      Please repost your pictures on site and delete these.
      https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740
      hello selldoor,

it's done

Comment

Great - I have been looking but no answer. Unless someone has one in front of them its not easy .
        One way is to google P5QE Images and look for a high resoluion picture
        I though this one might be ok http://www.ixbt.com/mainboard/asus/p5q-deluxe/board.jpg and just look to see the values or at least to see if they
        appear to be the same - I am working on a crappy 14 inch laptop so perhaps on a good screen you can see them? If you have a good graphics processing program you amy be able to enhance or even change the colours?
        I will continue to look but two looking is better than one

It is 560uf 6.3v
        Last edited by selldoor; 11-25-2014, 10:34 AM.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

HMMM!!!! wasnt expecting this then

http://f1mitku.hit.bg/files/Asus-5PQ-Deluxe-s.jpg

OK it is the deluxe not the E but those are 16v Caps!!!!!

Comment

again selldoor,

thanks for you seeks, but I think the capacitor you show from the P5Q Deluxe is not the same: on mi MB, see my picture I see: 87Ph 5 6 1 6.3.
            I guess 6.3 means 6.3V.
            And perhaps 5 6 1 means 56 x 10 = ??
            But other marks? what do they mean?
            It is 560uf 6.3v
            OK don't see that cause you post twice quick, and I saw only the last post

the only picture of P5Q-E with high resolution I can find is:
            http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f64/...corsair-69235/
            but too crappy to distingusih the marks ...

OK it is the deluxe not the E but those are 16v Caps!!!!!
            I suppose it's not possible to use one capacitor of this model?
            Last edited by asusman; 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

You can ignore the other marks they are maybe a date code or series.
              These are Fujitsu caps see small F logo. - more info here:http://jp.fujitsu.com/group/fmd/

Will need our motherboard experts to have a look.
              Which board is meant to be better the -E or the Deluxe.
              Have you checked how the other caps match up.
              Perhaps the cap you have has been replaced???
              Can you go back to the ebay seller??

Comment

re-again,
                You can ignore the other marks they are maybe a date code or series.
                Ok thanks

These are Fujitsu caps see small F logo. - more info here:http://jp.fujitsu.com/group/fmd/
                sorry I see nothing here

Will need our motherboard experts to have a look.
                who is it? where is it?

Which board is meant to be better the -E or the Deluxe.
                the Deluxe I think? ... and, then?

Have you checked how the other caps match up.
                Perhaps the cap you have has been replaced???
                yes I cheked all the other caps: all are goods, noone seem to be replaced

Can you go back to the ebay seller??
                I don't prefer
                Last edited by asusman; 11-25-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

You dont read japanese then? thought everyone did hehehehehe
                  Sorry I thought it was a link to capacitor data sheet - no matter- once you have established the value - someone will chip, in. There are many members whos main interest on here is motherboards. - The site owner repairs them!! It just depends when they have time to look USA guyes will still be at work for a few hours - Asian guys will be in bed.

""Have you checked how the other caps match up.
                  Perhaps the cap you have has been replaced???""

I meant compared the values of your other caps with the ones on the deluxe.
                  I was wondering if someone had changed just those 2 caps on your board for some reason then removed one - or it fell off?.

Comment

No bleeps=LGA socket suspect! May have messed up the socket. Check the LGA socket pins!
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 11-25-2014, 02:10 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

hi,

You dont read japanese then? thought everyone did hehehehehe
                      not without this missing cap

I meant compared the values of your other caps with the ones on the deluxe.
                      I was wondering if someone had changed just those 2 caps on your board for some reason then removed one - or it fell off?.
                      From what I can see, these caps wern't changed: I can't see any mark of soldering around. The 2nd cap, the missing one, seem to fall off...

But, if you believe, it will better to change the 2 caps (560uF / 6.3V) & replace them by 2 of the same kinds used on the P5Q Deleux (16V), why not?

Hello RJARRRPCGP (does it mans sthg?)
                      No bleeps=LGA socket suspect! May have messed up the socket.
                      you don't go halfway ...
                      no bleeps can be:
                      - CPU dead (I guess)
                      - BIOS dead (I saw some users with bad BIOS flash on this board, and same symptoms - and Asus DieHard Bios feature did nothing)
                      - other (fill with you own cases)
                      - and bad/dead cap too: what do you think about my case? do you have an idea?

Check the LGA socket pins
                      what do you mean? check what?
                      I'll take pictures of socket and CPU & I'll post them

Comment

here si some pictures of socket & CPU

I replace the pin which seems to be bent (see 2nd & last picture).
                        So, replace the CPU without FAN/RAD, no good.

Weird thing, after 3 CM boot tests, less than 1 min every, the CPU was very very hot when I put my hand on it.

Apart
                        "Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem
                        Salem?? Nope! F. Z.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by asusman; 11-26-2014, 01:54 AM.

Comment

a guy have almost same problem:
                          http://computerhelpforum.org/forum/i...eed-capacitor/
                          with another capacitor ripped from the MB ...

Comment

Well this seems to have gone well beyond a missing cap and sometimes boot.
                            (did you try a new cmos battery when it was losing settings)

Anyway
                            http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-long-heatsink

I am going away until 18 December so may as well say cheerio and good luck.

EDIT - just read your previous thread amazing coincidence it is the same value cap.

I would just use one the same value as the one next to it - unless the leads from the old one have shorted and taken out the mosfet I dont think it is your main problem.

You dont have to get a Fujitsu cap - any good brand will do nichicon or panasonic.
                            Last edited by selldoor; 11-26-2014, 03:48 AM.

Comment

I know it's risky, but the issue occurs before that ...
                              and, I've already proceeded like that with other CPUs on many computers (desktops & laptops) without any problem.

EDIT: to definitively exclude a defect CPU, I've tested the Q6600 which came with the P5Q-E, and tested it on a P5KR MB. It works!
                              It's detected on the MB boot:

and in the Setup:

Then, I can boot Windows 7 Ult. 64 bits.

After 30 minutes, polling temps:

To make the test I use another 2 sticks of RAM (2x2GB), the P5KR stock ventirad and the same nVidia 9400GT GPU.

I also tried the E7400 which came from the P5KR on tne P5Q-E: same thing, no boot -- knowing that: when it's installed in the P5KR, it works, of course.

(did you try a new cmos battery when it was losing settings)
                              no! it did itself, all settings are lost except time and date.
                              when I did a Clear CMOS, next boot POST sent a message about CMOS, date an time ... So, I entered the Setup, put the right date/time, change some settings (disble FDD, Marvell IDE Controller, Serial Port and Asus Exp. Gate, save them by press F10 key ...
                              After that, if I power off the MB, wait few minutes, and boot it, again, MB asked me to enter Setup via F1 or to load defaults settings via F2. So, I entered again the Setup and I saw all my previously settings were lost.
                              See above the picture of the P5KR POST; the last 2 warnings are the warnings I've always got with the P5Q-E at every cold boot.

EDIT - just read your previous thread amazing coincidence it is the same value cap.

I would just use one the same value as the one next to it - unless the leads from the old one have shorted and taken out the mosfet I dont think it is your main problem.

You dont have to get a Fujitsu cap - any good brand will do nichicon or panasonic.
                              okay, before you're going away, can you indicate me a specific one?
                              I don't want to do a mistake in my choice ...

unless the leads from the old one have shorted and taken out the mosfet
                              I dont think it is your main problem.
                              I don't very well undestand this, I understand the words, but not the final meaning.

EDIT: after discussion with the eBay seller, the payment was reduced. And he sends me missing cables (SATA, IDE, etc.) that I asked him.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by asusman; 11-26-2014, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I cant suggest which cap as I dont know the physical size. You need to get one with the leads /holes the same distance apart so perhaps one of these at digikey P16424CT-ND or P16367-ND
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by asusman View Post

what do you mean? check what?
                                  I'll take pictures of socket and CPU & I'll post them
                                  What looks like copper grass. Seems too easy to bend a pin.
                                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I have an Asus P5Q PRO TURBO.
                                    I repaired a cap i managed to rip off a while ago with some of these. (see photo)
                                    I can stick a couple in the post to you if you like as i bought a bag of 20.
                                    PM me your address if you like.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

I used to have this issue with an abit board.

It was where the pwm's were not being started by IC.

Flash bios to current version.
                                      turn off if power fails power back on.

Comment

Working...
                                      X