GPU came off of compaq presario mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPU came off of compaq presario mobo

my mums compaq presario-CQ57 quit this morning and i found the GPU lose betwen the mobo and the heat plate. now i know this is not fixable but what caused it! it can't be the OS it run's linux, its only a 2.5 years old, it was always clean, and the cooling fan is good. so i cant tell what happend! can anybody tell me what could have caused this?

sorry about the poor grammer i am trying to type this out during school lunch.
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Re: GPU came off of compaq presario mobo

ouch!
    pics please.

Comment

Ditto with that.

Apart from a very high temperature and a shock, I don't see how all the solder balls could have failed like that.

Comment

lol

definitely unheard of.

only option is a reball or mobo xchange

Comment

i cant get pics till monday, leaving denver for sidney nebraska after school and and it was droped 5 times, as well as i was body slamed into it so it did have some heat and shock.

sorry about the poor grammer i am typing this during my short 5min lunch.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

got anyone locally who fixes xbox's an ps3's, get hold of them an ask if they reball chips, an get them to fix that for ya! hope fully nothing else shorted out!

Comment

Well, I have worked with computers for years, and this is the first time i have heard anything like that Definitely need pics of that!
              I can put text here?!

Comment

ok sorry i was late but i got pictures.

the small plate in the pics is the GPU heatsink and look how close to the cpu heatsink it is!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by goontron; 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I don't see chip anywhere in those pics

On the last picture that is thermal pad, and it's normal to be able to remove it

Comment

Lol. Sorry, but that made me chuckle.

Getting back to business though,,, What does the laptop do when switched on?
                    Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

That little piece of metal is the only cooling it gets?

Comment

I think that just stops the gpu heatsink from touching the plastic.

Also, that little bit of metal look like it has been squashed onto something square shaped?
                        Do NOT touch heatsinks when testing for voltages as they may be LIVE!

Comment

yes the chunk of aluminum is the heat sink. i got bored so i gave that board the 15Kv treatment, so no pics till i clean up the board
                          gilly1984 that GPU cooler made me crackup to now during startup the laptop display is dead, Linux flashes the caps-locks key and and the CPU cooling fan runs at normal speed.

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

just to chime in here, the CQ57 you have has an E-300, which has the GPU onboard the CPU, because it's an APU.

the little heatsink there is for the southbridge. my X120e does not have one for this chip, and it is entirely optional, I believe.

Comment

so the southbridge is the part that came off?

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

damnit! now the RMA'd unit has failed..... fuck you compuke!

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Compaq: HP's Butthole division. And you though HP was bad...

(before the buyout compaq made some halfways decent stuff... most of the time).
                                  sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                    compaq: Hp's butthole division. And you though hp was bad...

(before the buyout compaq made some halfways decent stuff... Most of the time).
                                    lol!!
                                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                    X