X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A guide to fixing/troubleshooting some common plasma TV problems

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    I've considered using the new 50" Panasonic to show how I diagnose a fault on a plasma. But I've covered most of the main faults with plasma TVs. Power supply faults belong in a more general thread (usually covering both plasma and LCD), but there are -so many- to list.
    Great guide Tom
    Have you had any problems with a 2-3 inch blurry/ grainy line down the left hand side of a pioneer tx-p50g10b.
    Any help would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Luke1147 View Post
      Great guide Tom
      Have you had any problems with a 2-3 inch blurry/ grainy line down the left hand side of a pioneer tx-p50g10b.
      Any help would be much appreciated
      That would be a Panasonic.
      It is most likely a loose X-driver connector, or, sometimes the panel is bad.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I have a 47 inch Panasonic Plasma TV that has lost the Yellow in the picture. I tried to adjust the color but I can not restore the Yellow. Have you heard about this problem and is there a quick fix? The TV is 7 years old. with no other problems. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Stacha View Post
          I have a 47 inch Panasonic Plasma TV that has lost the Yellow in the picture. I tried to adjust the color but I can not restore the Yellow. Have you heard about this problem and is there a quick fix? The TV is 7 years old. with no other problems. Thanks!
          47 inch is not a plasma, sounds like DLP or LCoS, maybe LCD... but not heard of that before. How about creating a new thread with the model number, detailed problem description, and pictures of the set's guts and one of the problem itself.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom, this is by far the best plasma troubleshooting guide I have found online.

I have a 60" LG Plasma (60pv250), a few months out of the 1-year warranty, and about 50% of the time I turn the unit on it boots up with no picture only sound, and it responds normally to the remote. I have tried hitting the back of the TV with no effect. But often turning it off and back on once or twice regains the picture. The picture never cuts out once its on.

From what I read in your guide these symptoms would be the Y-sus? The only thing that throws me off is the intermittent factor to this issue. It would obviously be the board acting up if this was the case and the fuse must be fine. I haven't pulled the back of the TV off yet but just wanted to be sure I should look at the Y-sus board.

Any help appreciated!

PS. I apologize if this question has already been asked, I did read through the entire forum.

Comment

You'd be best starting your own thread, but it sounds more like a main or control board problem. Check in a dark room if the screen glows slightly (it may be quite dim) when it is malfunctioning.

If you are persistent with LG though they will often repair if a few months out of warranty.

Comment

Hi Tom, got a Panasonic TC-P65S2 that developed a full height 3" vert. bar about 1/3 of the way in from right edge. Bar characteristics are difficult to describe, but suffice it to say that it's most visible on a black screen, say when changing inputs when screen momentarily black. During normal operation most of the bar is fairly unnoticable except for a slight change in color values, the exception being the far right edge of the bar which is a quite noticeably 1-2 mm thin stripe, usually reddish but changes depending upon what's dispalyed on the screen, sometimes nearly invisible. Most noticeable when displaying a darker object (Face, car, etc.) near the bar when the background is light (sky, white room, etc.) Upon close inspection the majority of the bar's distortion is caused by very, very thin dark lines evenly spaced at 1-3 mm. Only other characteristic is that there seems to be a horizontal component to the bar in that at times (depending on what's being displayed at any given moment) the bar seems to be comprised of a series of rectangles of maybe 1.25-1.5" in height, so it looks like a stack of blocks. Again, these "blocks," like the entire bar, it only really discernible as a value distortion, or "difference" from the rest of the display. Does that make any sense? Pretty sure it's the PDP (seems to be the concensus) Read thru forum and found some similar, but not identical, threads. Thought I'd run it past you. Thanx for your time and patience Tom.

PS. Sent a PM regarding SM (EDIT: apparently I didn't as I can't find a PM function yet. Am I too new? Anyway, love it if you'd PM me so I can reply)
                Last edited by snaxforgandhi; 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I'd recommend you post a new thread, and supply pictures of the defect. I've heard of this problem before, it often turns out to be a loose connector. I would be surprised if it is the panel (tab driver) with that kind of defect, as the tab driver itself only deals with digital data. It can't make pixels vary in brightness, unless some of the data it receives is wrong or corrupt.

Comment

I'll do that Tom. Thanx so much. Still like to PM you about an SM for this unit when I am able.

Comment

Problems with an LG DU-60PY10

Just found this forum and hoping for advice/help. Our LG plasma has seemingly lost the ability to render subtle color variations when they are located close together. The effect is some what like a solarized photo, and I have included several Iphone photos which hopefully will illustrate the problem. Any assistance/advice is most appreciated.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Re: LG DU-60PY10 problems.

This is a follow-up of my post regarding the faulty LG DU-60PY10. I inadvertantly posted the incorrect photos regarding the problem. These show the "solarized"effect I referred to. Thankyou.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bluemoonfever; 04-15-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Looks like there may be a loose LVDS cable or a main board/control board malfunction.

Comment

Re: LG DU-60PY10 problems.

I unplugged the unit and and essentially did a reboot, which seems to have corrected the problem for the time being. I'm assuming that is and of itself indicative of what the problem might be.

Comment

Really a good guide, while searching solutions on my Samsung plasma TV problem, google directed me here.:-)

Just started a new thread on my 50" Samsung Plasma TV issue and hope to get any help here. Thanks.
                              Last edited by sangdy; 04-21-2013, 12:38 AM. Reason: a new thread for help.

Comment

LG 50pg25 power on and off after a couple of seconds.

This is best troubleshooting thread on line.
                                Tom,
                                I have lg 50pg25 will shut off from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes after turn on. Every thing looks great when is on. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Your problem is quite likely a cold solder joint on the power supply somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                    Your problem is quite likely a cold solder joint on the power supply somewhere.
                                    Looks like these resistors have been burned. Can it be fixed? If so where can I buy them?
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks just like flux to me -- not a fault.

What you need to do is find out where the fault is as it is heat related (as set warms up the fault occurs.)

So use a hairdryer or other heat-producing device and heat up parts one by one, and see if you can make the problem occur much quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyking View Post
                                        Looks like these resistors have been burned. Can it be fixed? If so where can I buy them?
                                        This is more clear picture.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyking View Post
                                          This is more clear picture.
                                          Here is front end. Those resistors are located between PC801 and U902 in the back. I really don't know much about this thing. Please help.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X