Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MS-6390 ver 1.0 bad caps

Hi everyone I'm new to this site.
    I have a few questions regarding the mentioned board.
    All the caps that are 1000uf 6.3v have failed/bulged.
    There are 6 caps 2200uf 6.3v KZG they look ok should I replace these as well?
    Also 5 1500uf 16v rubycon they don't look as they are failing should i replace theses as well?
    Are these ok for the job
    http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/94578.pdf
    http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/26036.pdf
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Re: MSI MS-6390 ver 1.0 bad caps

Replace the KZGs with Panasonic FM. The FC series in not suited for motherboards.
    Leave the Rubycons alone.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply
      My pc

Comment

I wouldn't use FM either for a motherboard. They are a slight downgrade from KZG and they probably won't fit (ie. they may be 12.5mm diameter instead of 10mm). I'd use Rubycon MBZ and MCZ from badcpas.net
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Data sheet says 10mm diameter.
          My pc

Comment

FM is *slightly* inferior spec-wise when dealing with the same size cap.

KZG for that value is 10x20. FM is 10x25. The extra size mostly makes up for the difference in rated specs.

For 6.3V 2200uF - KZG is 2550 ripple, 0.013 ESR, FM is 2470 ripple, 0.018 ESR.

You want your replacements to have the same or less ESR, and the same or more ripple. Therefore, FM is rated slightly less than the KZG you are replacing. Still, working FM is better than failed KZG. Will they work? Almost certainly, as they are very close although slightly inferior spec-wise. That said, if you can purchase the correct replacements, why not do so?

Comment

Or you could raise the voltage of the FMs and get lower esr, but you may have trouble fitting them in..

Comment

There is no diameter difference between the 6.3volt version and the 10v version only a hight difference but looking at the board won't be a issue apart from the agp slot an one of the pci slots.

on a side note i have a dvd recorder here a Sony RDR-GX380 the switch mode ps is real unstable voltages are up and down way out of the normal range so i guess the psu needs to be recapped.
                this seems to be a common issue with dvd players having psu fail my sisters dvd player had a cap on the 5v rail go bad and it was putting 16v on the -12v rail one poor cap exploded.
                My pc

Comment

as close as that is if the mfr left any empty spots you could stuff them and be better than stock.i suspect that the fm would work ok other than a bit more ripple/noise on vcore.
                  considering how many of these boards i have found with bad kzg only by visual inspection in cnc boxes the fm are probably ok.i use rubycon mbz.pssst the badcaps store stocks them and everything else you need.

Comment

Hi should I go with NICHICON HN series (these are 500uf greater) for the 13x 6.3v 1000uf caps.

and NICHICON HN series to replace 6x 6.3v 2200uf kzg caps for the v core.
                    My pc

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                      Hi should I go with NICHICON HN series (these are 500uf greater) for the 13x 6.3v 1000uf caps.

and NICHICON HN series to replace 6x 6.3v 2200uf kzg caps for the v core.
                      HN will work fine as a replacement. They have better specs than the originals. Do not change the capacitance - replace 1000uF with 1000uF, and replace 2200uF with 2200uF.

Comment

The caps are not available in 1000uf in NICHICON NH series from my supplier I would have to go to Panasonic FM for them and use the NICHICON NH for the vcore caps.
                        My pc

Comment

What brand/series were the original 6.3V 1000uF caps that failed? You mentioned the 2200uF were KZG, but I don't see where you mention what the 6.3V 1000uF ones are.

According to the FM datasheet, 6.3V 1000uF FM are 10mm diameter. Make sure they'll fit, as most motherboard caps of that value are 8mm diameter.

Comment

some where I had missed the detail of the diameter. I need to stop doing these sorts of things near sleep time lol.

so now I have re read the whole thread I see the issue with using the FM for the vcore the NH as you said is better, and cheaper I found only running a low spec cpu anyway AMD duron 1300.

The 1000uf 6.3volt caps are Lelon RXA and are 8mm some are in tight spaces so I might have to find a smaller option.

Here is a lol I put my multimeter on capacitance the one I took out is 90uf
                            Last edited by joshnz; 03-18-2011, 04:03 AM.
                            My pc

Comment

The Lelon RXA datasheet doesn't list a 6.3V 1000uF capacitor in 8mm size. It's possible that size just isn't on the datasheet. What is the size of this capacitor, both in diameter and height?

RXA are low ESR, but not in the very low ESR range. What other options do you have for replacements? UCC KZE, Rubycon ZL, Sanyo WX, Nichicon HD are all slightly better than the originals as far as specs go and reliable.

Comment

8mm x 15mm
                                My pc

Comment

Okay, the RXA capacitors appear to be equivalent to UCC KZE, Rubycon ZL, Sanyo WX, and Nichicon HD in specs, not a slight upgrade as I indicated earlier. The RXA datasheet gave ripple current at 120Khz, which threw me off.

For your replacement you need:

6.3V (higher voltage is okay if the cap fits)
                                  1000uF
                                  995 mA ripple current (or more at 100Khz)
                                  0.056 ohms ESR (or less)

What replacement options do you have available? Let's start there and see if we can find one that will work. What is your supplier? If the supplier is online, share a link and someone can probably point you in the direction of something that will work.

Comment

http://nz.element14.com/capacitors

have to be patient with their site it's damn slow.

I can also order from through my od work
                                    http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView....T&SUBCATID=859
                                    Last edited by joshnz; 03-19-2011, 03:53 AM.
                                    My pc

Comment

why are you replacing this crap board? I have one in my scrap pile it worked I didn't even bother using it, I just keep it aside to get the few decent caps off it that it has
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Possible replacements for RXA:

http://nz.element14.com/rubycon/10zl...10v/dp/8126216
                                        http://nz.element14.com/panasonic/ee...0uf/dp/1848378
                                        http://nz.element14.com/panasonic/ee...0uf/dp/1800622

There are probably others, but any of those should work... I got tired of looking thorough the site.

Comment

Working...
                                        X