13 Teapos on my Mainboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 Teapos on my Mainboard

All of which are 100uF, 10V. Are they enough of a failure risk to warrant replacement? If so, what should i get as replacements for them? They're 5 or 6 mm in diameter, and 7 or 8 mm tall at the most.

Re: 13 Teapos on my Mainboard

photos pls

Comment

Those are pics of caps by the top of the RAM slots and by the AC'97 header
      Attached Files

Comment

Can you take better pics? These are really blurry and unfocused.

They did however tell me that it's a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2.

When asking technical questions, less is not more.

Comment

Those are pretty small caps. I would say given their size, there's a low risk of failure. That said, the risk is there.

From the ones I can see in the photo, they are Teapo SS 10v 100uF.

According to the datasheet, that value of cap comes in two sizes: 5x7mm and 6x7mm.

The 5x7mm has 85 mA ripple, and the 6x7 has 100 mA ripple. You want a replacement that has at least that much ripple handling ability.

Something in Nichicon VZ or Chemicon KMG should get the job done.

This only applies to the caps I can see in the photos, which are the SS series. If there are other caps I can't see from other series, their values may be different.

Also...I see a GSC capacitor in the one photo. GSC capacitors are bad news, I'd take a close look at that one as well.

I see lots of Rubycons on the board, those are good. However, I can't make out what the tall VRM caps near the CPU socket are. Take a close look at those, as they tend to be the most stressed capacitors on the board.

Comment

I agree except for KMG and VZ.
            Those aren't low ESR and better caps that small don't cost much if anything more.

While any cap -can- fail the 4 & 5 mm caps rarely do and that includes Teapo.
            Any 4 & 5 mm caps rated for 85C instead of 105C are more of a concern than small caps of a particular brand name because they tend to start going bad after a few years.
            [Except maybe for GSC or OST. Even in small ones I don't trust them around the chipset or RAM. IMHO those are best used for contaminating landfills. - That said, if they are -clearly- not caps that 'work' hard I'll let them ride if there are no other small caps that need replaced. The GCS I can see on your board is in the fan controller for that nearby header. GA likes to slide GSCs in that spot and as they don't 'work' very hard I wouldn't worry about it unless the fan is getting screwy.]

So, unless they are 85C or the board is flaky for no good reason [with otherwise good caps] I don't usually replace them. Sometimes I get a wild hair and do a 100% recap just because it's on the bench anyway.

I handle 6mm this way. [Revision 57 of Bonez's SOP.]
            If it's 220uF or more I treat it as I do 8mm and up caps.
            If it's less than 220uF I treat it as I do the small caps.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

'k. There's four caps that are all 5 mm diameter 22uF 25V Supacons. I've heard that this brand should be replaced no matter how tiny they are. TopCat's got a 22uF 25V Samxon in his inventory. Is it worth spending the cash to get those replaced when I send the mobo to Topcat?

Comment

Never heard of Supacon. Maybe you mean Su'scon? Those are so-so, if they are in non-critical areas they will survive.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

No, he/she meant Supacon.
                  Attached Files

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Those really look dubious.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

In this case looks ain't deceiving.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X