Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: speakers for bathroom?

Originally posted by junktv View Post
    No need for water proof. Any plastic coned speaker will work just don't put it in the shower.
    This is what I was thinking exactly.
    Or at least the woofer needs to be made from plastic (typically polypropylene). Tweeter doesn't really move much, so it won't get damaged from the moisture that easily (unless it gets extremely steamy in there and for a long time).

Anyways... if you get floor standing speakers, make sure to raise them off the floor if your GF tends to make puddles when she comes out of the shower.
    I've seen quite a few speaker cabinets (visually) ruined from direct contact with water/moisture. And they might start smelling like mold after a long time.

Comment

your wrong, the box must be sealed and the speaker must be designed for the job.

if not, moisture will slowly get inside and either fuck the coil or corrode the flexi-wires from the cone to the terminals.

i know this because i'v had to fix a number of bits of outdoor equipment with failed speakers from bad seals.

Comment

The Pioneer CS-99A speakers are old enough now for the midrange horn to corrode through right at the point the coil wire is soldered. Someone came up with a fix and I was able to save all of mine. That's with them sitting in the living room presumably. At least they didn't look like they were stored in a basement or garage.
        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

I don't know one person who puts marine speakers in a boat and they are fine.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            on that note, you could just tell her to shut up while taking a shower!
            Better yet, eat some really good mexican food, and right before she showers download it all to the porcelain bowl. Her shower shouldn't take too long!!

seriously though, a 20-dollar boom box on the bathroom counter should cure this.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Better yet, eat some really good mexican food, and right before she showers download it all to the porcelain bowl. Her shower shouldn't take too long!!

In this, there are no winners!
              From my favoritest movie ever!:
              Cledus Snow: Can I ask you a question?
              Bo Darville: Sure, ask me what?
              Cleedus: What the Hell do we want to go to Texas for and haul beer back here? What is that?
              Bo: For the good old American life. For the money, the glory, and the fun. Mostly for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                if not, moisture will slowly get inside and either fuck the coil or corrode the flexi-wires from the cone to the terminals.
                You're right about the flexi-wires, they can corrode. But it takes A TON of moisture for that to happen. More like dripping water with contaminants.

As for the voicecoil: that is typically wound with magnet wire and potted with varnish, so it would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) for it to corrode. Probably the cabinet will crumble to dust before the VC coating even gets damaged.

seriously though, a 20-dollar boom box on the bathroom counter should cure this.
                I agree.
                I doubt she's an audiophile, so I'm pretty sure quality sound hardly matter here.

Good one, TC!
                Yes, Mexican food tends to "clean me out" pretty well too . Then again, so does Chinese food. Doesn't even need to be the extra-greasy stuff. Just any "regular" greasy Lo Mein is fine for that.

Anyways, I will stop myself with the toilet humor here, because otherwise I can really go on forever.
                Last edited by momaka; 10-22-2016, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  You're right about the flexi-wires, they can corrode. But it takes A TON of moisture for that to happen. More like dripping water with contaminants.
                  and that's what you have.

the air is warm & damp,
                  the speaker frame and magnet are cold.
                  the moisture condenses on it!

Comment

what is the speaker frame IS warm(e.g. under heater register with heater on)?
                    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

inside the speaker box? unlikely

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
                        what is the speaker frame IS warm(e.g. under heater register with heater on)?
                        Then you have a Rube Goldberg device.

Comment

If you have a fan vent in the bath and your bathroom is not tiny and if the door is open when you take a shower there would be little moisture in the bathroom. Otherwise I would stick with Stj suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by keeney123 View Post
                            ... and if the door is open when you take a shower...
                            Oh, that would just be an invitation for...

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              Oh, that would just be an invitation for...
                              That would be dependant if You have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew F. Ali View Post
                                Either buy the water proof speakers...or......get another girlfriend......
                                Don't be so cruel)

Comment

Working...
                                X