Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bypass LCD TV Inverter Board Shutdown Backlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypass LCD TV Inverter Board Shutdown Backlight?

"How To Bypass LCD TV Inverter Board Shutdown Backlight System" Has anyone seen this article before (Below)? Has anyone tried it? Sounds pretty dangerous to me. Supposedly it is to check to see if your CCFL Lamps are out when you get sound but no picture, or if it's the inverter board itself. Do all LCD TV's have a similar chip with the same functions?

http://www.bestelectronicarticles.co...ht-system.html
    Last edited by gorr35; 09-10-2011, 03:06 PM.

Re: Bypass LCD TV Inverter Board Shutdown Backlight?

I think it could easily damage a transformer or driver FET if the CCFL is shorted or open, due to either high currents on the primary, or high voltages (due to lack of load.) Maybe...
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

It won't short any FETs because the controller's also got got current sense... but yes it could damage a transformer by arcing if the CCFL is open. Best bet is still testing the CCFLs with a spare board.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

could this problem cause a strobe effect for about 10 or 15 minutes and then go away? In other words, my Vizio VX42L strobes the screen for about that long, then the screen straightens out and looks great. I was told that the CFFL was failing and the only repair was to replace the extremely expensive LCD screen. Does that sound right?
        Thanks,
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jrolfe View Post
          could this problem cause a strobe effect for about 10 or 15 minutes and then go away? In other words, my Vizio VX42L strobes the screen for about that long, then the screen straightens out and looks great. I was told that the CFFL was failing and the only repair was to replace the extremely expensive LCD screen. Does that sound right?
          Thanks,
          Jeff
          That sounds like someone wanted to take an 'unrepairable' TV off your hands cheap. Well, let me be correct. A service shop affiliated with the manufacturer may have no choice except to replace the LCD panel (which usually includes the CCFLS and the inverter).

I would suspect a capacitor, but I haven't dug into the workings of the inverters Vizio uses.

Here is a quick background. Every inverter I have seen uses an 'inverter controller' to provide a stable output, and provide safety features in case of an aging or broken CCFL. I have not performed an exhaustive review, but in every case I have researched, if a problem 'trips' the protection, the inverter shuts down and stays down until reset.

Next, there is the fact that 'strobes' is ambiguous. I tend to think of a strobe light used to freeze motion. This turns off completely. IF the panel on your TV is flickering (getting brighter, then dimmer, but always staying on), yes a bad CCFL could be causing that. It IS common with a CCFL failing due to age or a defect. As I said above, it can also be caused by a bad capacitor.

There are many different layouts for LCD displays, but in general, while the manufacturer says they are unrepairable, the fact is CCFLs are replaceable by anyone with decent mechanical skills.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Working...
          X