Westinghouse L2410nm Buzzing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westinghouse L2410nm Buzzing?

Hello all. My first post here. I have been dealing with the buzzing from a westinghouse l2410nm. It happens whenever you turn down the brightness from 100% down which makes for always looking at a very bright monitor. The buzzing is very obnoxious. So the other day I finally took it all apart. From what I could hear I thought it was coming form the CMO 27-D012488 Backlight Inverter board. So I ordered a new one off of shopjimmy. Well I put in the new one thinking I'd have it made and I STILL have the buzzing.

Before I go spend more money trying to solve this can someone tell me if they have any clue. I looked at the power board and I don't see any bad caps, nothing bulged, smoked, or worn looking. In fact the buzzing doesn't even seem like its coming from there but rather from inside the screen itself. Is that possible? I wouldn't even begin to know how to get in there. Could it be just the power supply sending a bad signal to something? Has anyone ever fixed this buzzing?

Thanks,
    Max

Re: Westinghouse L2410nm Buzzing?

Buzzing, problems with Brightness,smell of ozone ??,can relate to the Backlights which are inside the screen assembly.As you state the noise seems to be coming from the Screen, so that looks like your next Port of call.

Comment

If the buzzing is actually coming from inside the screen assembly is that something that is economical to fix? Is it even possible to get inside there? What would I be fixing inside there even on the odd luck I could actually get inside that part of the monitor. It's like 4 layers deep to get in there. Seems really sealed up as well.

I never smelled any burning ozone smells. There is no problem with the brightness. It does go through all the brightness levels but the whining/buzzing on anything less than 100% will drive you utterly insane.

Comment

It is economical to fix problems with the lamps, but not with the LCD itself. If the lamp connectors on the bulbs are arcing, they can cause a buzzing sound. Usually though this is accompanied by a smell of ozone (which smells a little like chlorine.)
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Sounds like you're still not sure where the buzzing is coming from. Try running the monitor with the ccfl plugs disconnected from the inverter board to see if that stops the buzzing sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
            Sounds like you're still not sure where the buzzing is coming from. Try running the monitor with the ccfl plugs disconnected from the inverter board to see if that stops the buzzing sound.
            That sounds like a really good idea. I haven't tried that yet. But what would that mean/amount to? If it's buzzing still with those plugs unplugged what does that mean? If it's not buzzing with those plugs unplugged.. what does that mean?

Comment

Buzzing/humming sounds from the LCD panel are genrally caused by the ccfl's. By disconnecting the ccfl's from the inverter, you are effectively turning power off to them. If they were the cause of the buzzing, then turning off power to them should stop the buzzing. Right? If the buzzing continues, then it could either be the inverter or the power board. Since you've already replaced the inverter, then I would suspect the power board. Buzzing from the power board usually comes from the main transformer.

Comment

Buzzing/humming sounds from the LCD panel are genrally caused by the ccfl's. By disconnecting the ccfl's from the inverter, you are effectively turning power off to them. If they were the cause of the buzzing, then turning off power to them should stop the buzzing. Right? If the buzzing continues, then it could either be the inverter or the power board. Since you've already replaced the inverter, then I would suspect the power board. Buzzing from the power board usually comes from the main transformer.
                Thanks Jetadm, i'm going to test this right now and see what happens. Cheers.

Comment

Okay So I took everything apart again. Literally i've taken this thing apart 6 different times. @#$)@#fj)@# Ready to smash the thing over my head, really. I'm amazed with all the small fragile plugs I haven't broken anything. Anyway, unplugged the inverter clips/plugs and put power back into it. Not easy to do actually. But with the clips unplugged there was no buzzing. So I guess this means that I'm not lucky and its a buzzing power board. The buzzing must be in the LCD case itself. I spent about an hour trying to unclip all the clips and pry the thing open but however it is mounted there is just no getting into the screen part of the westinghouse L2410nm. I even have a very small curved tool that works really well at unclipping tabs and even with all the tabs looking unclipped I couldn't get the thing open. Why o why can't they just use screws to hold it all together. All these endless clips are madenning and they break easy too.

So I guess there must be something I don't know on how to open it up. There was even a plastic lock lever looking thing in the middle of the screen that I unlocked and still I couldn't get the screen to come out of the metal case. So I guess if I could somehow get in there then I could see if the buzzing is coming from the bulbs?

Hmm I feel fairly defeated at this point. Not really sure what I can do to stop the maddening buzzing. It's either run it at full brightness and burn my eyes out or run it lower and drive myself nuts with the buzzing. A slight fix is adjusting the Asus video driver brightness but that is a really poor substitute to turning down the brightness on the monitor. Any thoughts?

Comment

You *might* be able to fix it by changing the PWM frequency of the backlight dimmer. However not all chips support this change, on many of them the frequency is fixed. Usually it's around 100-200Hz, hence the buzzing.

Do you have a schematic or a service manual for the inverter board?
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

No unfortunately I do not have a schematic. Where would I possibly find one?

Comment

if ya give up i'll buy that monitor for parts off ya . and I am in need of those schematics too

Comment

Originally posted by Silviyius View Post
                          if ya give up i'll buy that monitor for parts off ya . and I am in need of those schematics too
                          sure thing.. but right now I have to save up for a new monitor so I'm stuck with this one for a little while longer. I'm thinking a 24-26" Asus. What are all your preferences on the market right now?

*Also note that I couldn't get inside the actual screen itself so parts would probably be all it is worth. It doesn't have a single bad pixel and it's got great color.

Comment

I know how that one is. the monitors in that range are mostly professional ones so beware you might be saving for some time. Asus has some nice cheap ones. as for the buzzing. If you figure out what it is. I'll send you the parts if you pay shipping. westinghouse isn't my favorite brand. XD. I was thinking of upgrading a insane new size. But hey. either way works for me. I hear samsung is a good brand too btw. oh and dont get a tv to use as your montior unless you want to fry your eyes out XD

Comment

I hear good reviews on the Asus monitors on newegg.. but do they buzz? I don't know and I didn't see anything in the hundreds of reviews about that. My tower is in my bathroom (the adjoining room of my bedroom). So my bedroom is very nice and quiet. So a buzzing monitor is the loudest thing in it. There is just a very quiet hum through the wall. It's a great setup if you have a dead quiet monitor. Terrible setup if you need the fans of the CPU to whirl over the sound of a painfully loud monitor. :P

Yah I hear you on the TV.. that's a bad idea.

Comment

monitors generally don't buzz. I wonder if your hearing is just super attuned. My roomate has a 23' inch asus. dosen't make noise at all. buzzing noises are not a common thing.

Comment

Originally posted by avie242 View Post
                                  Hello all. My first post here. I have been dealing with the buzzing from a westinghouse l2410nm. It happens whenever you turn down the brightness from 100% down which makes for always looking at a very bright monitor. The buzzing is very obnoxious.
                                  I got a L2610NW 26" on Craigslist a few months ago for $10 because owner said it wasn't working. Turns out it was working but it has almost the exact same problem as yours - monitor buzzes obnoxiously if set to under 90% brightness. Another person has the same monitor as me and theirs isn't working (see this thread).

I think the inverter was just designed in a crappy way because all of the CCFL transformers are driven from the same set of MOSFETs. My guess is that as the CCFLs age, they wear at a slightly different rate and this causes the buzzing. Either that or the switching frequency as the Th3_uN1Qu3 suggested.
                                  My 3rd guess is that the video/logic board is doing something funky and rapidly turning the inverter ON and OFF - but I think that's highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a solution to this problem either - all of my computers are loud enough to mask the monitor noise 10 times over . So after I saw my monitor working, I just didn't bother with the buzzing.
                                  Last edited by momaka; 10-24-2012, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                    I got a L2610NW 26" on Craigslist a few months ago for $10 because owner said it wasn't working. Turns out it was working but it has almost the exact same problem as yours - monitor buzzes obnoxiously if set to under 90% brightness. Another person has the same monitor as me and theirs isn't working (see this thread).

I think the inverter was just designed in a crappy way because all of the CCFL transformers are driven from the same set of MOSFETs. My guess is that as the CCFLs age, they wear at a slightly different rate and this causes the buzzing. Either that or the switching frequency as the Th3_uN1Qu3 suggested.
                                    My 3rd guess is that the video/logic board is doing something funky and rapidly turning the inverter ON and OFF - but I think that's highly unlikely.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a solution to this problem either - all of my computers are loud enough to mask the monitor noise 10 times over . So after I saw my monitor working, I just didn't bother with the buzzing.

Wish I could say I had crazy attuned hearing but about 1/6 people seem to claim this same very issue on newegg.com within a year of purchase, and sometimes much less time, of owning the monitor. Seems to be a very popular issue with these monitors. Doesn't seem to be anyway to fix it as the buzzing is usually coming from inside the screen and from what I could tell the screen seems almost entirely sealed, that or I'd have to probably break something to get in there.

This is the first time for me, ever, to put a computer in another room. I happend to have a bathroom right of my master bedroom. Since i like to run my machine 24/7, makes no real sense to turn it off, I just decided to put a small hole in the wall and feed chords through it. Then I can sleep in pretty good quiet when I close the bathroom door. I never thought that having the loud PC removed would announce me to the obnoxious monitor sounds. lol.

I would definitely never buy a westinghouse again. I bought the L2410NM shortly after it came out for $599.00 at Best Buy. This was roughly 6 years ago. $100.00 a year seems pretty damn expensive for a monitor. I mean for a monitor that I mostly just do email, some games, and surfing on. I certainly didn't feel like I got enough use out of it for the money. Maybe I'm just cheap lol

Comment

I have the same problem with HP W1907 :
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...HP/HP%20W1907/
                                      Put in new set of lamps fixed the problem.
                                      Some ACER does it also.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm
                                        I have the same problem with HP W1907 :
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...HP/HP%20W1907/
                                        Put in new set of lamps fixed the problem.
                                        That's unfortunate. Means I probably have to do the same on mine - yeah right, screw that! When it breaks, most likely I'll try to find and disconnect some of the faulty CCFLs and then try to trick the inveter that they are there.

Originally posted by avie242 View Post
                                        I certainly didn't feel like I got enough use out of it for the money. Maybe I'm just cheap lol
                                        Can't be cheaper than using free CRT monitors picked up on Craigslist!
                                        I do like the brightness control my CRTs give me though - I can make them nice and dark for night viewing.

Comment

Working...
                                        X