Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What devices usually suffer from bad/blown caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What devices usually suffer from bad/blown caps?

Hey guys!
    As the title says, im looking for different devices that commonly suffer from bad/blown caps that are easy to repair.

Hope u guys can help me!

Thanks!

Re: What devices usually suffer from bad/blown caps?

Forgive me if it seems rude but that is one of the the worst questions I have ever seen on this forum. I actually thought it was spam.
    Scroll down the page to Forum Jump and click on any heading between Site suggestions and classified/buy/sell and you will discover a whole world of items with bad caps.

Easy to repair????

That is entirely down to you, your knowledge, your tools,your budget, the time you have and the availability of any spares or equivalent parts.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
      Forgive me if it seems rude but that is one of the the worst questions I have ever seen on this forum. I actually thought it was spam.
      Scroll down the page to Forum Jump and click on any heading between Site suggestions and classified/buy/sell and you will discover a whole world of items with bad caps.

Easy to repair????

That is entirely down to you, your knowledge, your tools,your budget, the time you have and the availability of any spares or equivalent parts.
      Skip the "easy to repair" part, i'm looking for most common problem devices use to get that only involves replacing caps. I know for instance that LCD tv's can get repaired just by replacing caps.

Comment

Originally posted by tomioo9 View Post
        Skip the "easy to repair" part, i'm looking for most common problem devices use to get that only involves replacing caps. I know for instance that LCD tv's can get repaired just by replacing caps.
        anything that has pcb's can suffer with failed caps,from a washing machine,to a dvd player to a household heating boiler,replacing caps wont always fix the problem if you dont have the knowledge,there are a vast amount of parameters that need to be satisfied even with replacing lytics
        fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
        please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by tomioo9 View Post
          I have only seen about 7 out of 50 repairs that involve bad caps. Most repairs involve considerable troubleshooting.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

tomioo9 if you're looking to make money by taking in as you say "common, easy to repair devices" then like Tom66 said, its not going to be what you are hoping for. Youtube is chest deep in quick fixes that had little to do with proper diagnostics or even using the correct rated parts. Hopefully thats not your inspiration ? If I'm mistaken then I stand corrected but there's an accumulation of help in here thats supplied from a massive time investment in education and long hard earned learning curves. Many of the members make it look easy because they are career men.

So to help you better it begs the question.. "Why do you ask ?"

Comment

If it were so easy everyone would do it. Though really all you need is a basic technical understanding, patience, and ability/willingness to learn.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Randtek in this post says "The percentage of sets I see that have capacitors bad is less than 4%."

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25984
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Electrolytic capacitors have been among many significant causes of failures in electronics pretty much since being invented. Though they constitute 0% of failures in the electronic products I work on ... the products don't have any electrolytics. I used to have a bunch of TV repair magazines from the mid-late 50s, and lytics were frequently mentioned as problem causes back then (and were a PITA, because so many were multi-section semi-custom parts made for specific TV manufacturers, a parts stock nightmare for TV repair people).

Power supplies and the VRMs on computer motherboards are particularly stressful applications for electrolytic capacitors. DC motor controllers are as well (peak ripple currents 5X-10X the parts' maximum rated ripple current, for several seconds or even several minutes at a time).
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

LCD monitors, PSU-s, desktop motherboards.

Replacing caps on motherboards might be a little harder than replacing in PSU-s but it depends on your skill and equipment.

The problem is that there is always a high risk that caps are not the only problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X