Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway FPD2485W | 2 second to Dark

Greetings all,

I want to thank all those that will answer my thread in regards to my issue. I have done a search on this website and elsewhere, I have the same symptoms of many others however I don't believe that my problem isn't as far as so many others.

Gateway – FPD2485W | 24”

Some Details: In the last couple of days, I have experienced what so many have in regards to their LCD TV monitor, going blank after attempting to turn it on. I receive what others have stated as being the 2 second to black screen. When I have experienced this, I have waited aprox 10secs and tried again and it turns on just fine, that was yesterday. Today, it wouldn't catch even after trying, waiting to try and power it up again, and nothing. Therefore, I unplugged it and it turns right on. As well, I want to note that this only happens after perhaps the monitor sitting for aprox 12hrs or more, but if I turn it off and on throughout the day, I don't experience this at all.

All power LED lights come on, they flicker off after trying to turn the monitor on but the blue LED lights are in there normal position and DON'T go dark, but no picture, I do receive the logo, which flickers and goes off with no picture and ive notice that the screen coming on is a lot slower than usual.

Iam receiving no unusual colors, or lines, I do receive a slower start up. Screen image disappears after several seconds. No diming of the monitor as well, is as bright as it has always been.

In researching these problem through your website, to that of some videos on Youtube which I have found to be very useful as well. I just have a few questions in regards to my specific issues, while there are those that have the same issues, I don't believe mine per se have become sever problem that others have had.

Note: My monitor power button is a censor, not a physical button itself.

What I have done at this stage; I have researched a lot to understand the problem, through your website and others.

Questions: I have not taken the monitor apart yet, in order to understand the situation and receive some answers to my issue, I realize that I need to take apart the monitor however, which part would I be looking for per se?

In researching, I feel confident that I can do what needs to be done, I realize I need to inspect that of the board itself, but like I have stated, I have a censor button, not a physical button, if it is the power board or that of the inverter board, or are they one in the same?

I look forward to some clarification on my situation and my problems.

Cheers,

A

Re: Gateway FPD2485W | 2 second to Dark

When the lcd goes black, is the panel still active? try a flashlight or such in front of panel.
    No diming of the monitor as well, is as bright as it has always been.
    As in backlight still on?
    Last edited by Jont3; 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jont3 View Post
      When the lcd goes black, is the panel still active? try a flashlight or such in front of panel.
      Jont, thank you for answering my post. When the LCD goes dark, the panel is still active, on the two normal, which shows the power button and the menu button both blue and active while the others that come on during power up go off in normal manner. I hope that clarifies.

Comment

I´am not sure if i understand you right here, when monitor starts backlight goes off and everything else seems normal? if so, and you put an heavy amount of light on the screen do you see the desktop/boot up?

Comment

I´am not sure if i understand you right here, when monitor starts backlight goes off and everything else seems normal? if so, and you put an heavy amount of light on the screen do you see the desktop/boot up?
          Not a problem, when i boot up my PC in the morning it is coming up from being asleep. The PC comes up fine, i wait a few secs to wait for the PC to boot up, then i hit the power button. At which time all the LED lights come on as normal when turning on the monitor. Within a few secs, the logo appears, and goes off, while all the LED lights go out, except the menu button and the power button but that is normal. So i wait a few seconds and try and again and it does the same thing, instead this morning i unplugged it to bring the monitor on and it came up. I hope that clarifies.

Comment

Well, you would have to open up the monitor. This could be multiple faults, checking overall condition (defects, burns etc) and seaching for bulgy caps on the power and inverter board is the first step.

Comment

Well, you would have to open up the monitor. This could be multiple faults, checking overall condition (defects, burns etc) and seaching for bulgy caps on the power and inverter board is the first step.
              Ah, well i wanted to get some clarification. Thank you.

I would welcome other people and there positions on this problem?
              Last edited by Acidrainopg; 02-03-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I do remember reading that there were some problems with the touch control panel for these type monitors. It uses some type of capacitive discharge circuit that uses the electrical discharge from your body to complete the circuit. Perhaps another member can further elaborate on it.

As for your 2 seconds to black problem, it can be caused by bad caps, bad ccfl's, bad ccfl wirng, bad transformer or bad sense circuitry.

As you can see, we can talk about the problem until we're blue in the face and not accomplish anything. What's needs to done first is a visual inspection to look for bloated caps or burned parts. If none found, then voltage/resistance measurements of various components. Of course, none of this can be done until you open it up and post some good focused overhead photos of the top and bottom of the power board. And a overhead photo of the top of the logic board. Do not post photos inline, but use the manage attachments option.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
                  I do remember reading that there were some problems with the touch control panel for these type monitors. It uses some type of capacitive discharge circuit that uses the electrical discharge from your body to complete the circuit. Perhaps another member can further elaborate on it.

As for your 2 seconds to black problem, it can be caused by bad caps, bad ccfl's, bad ccfl wirng, bad transformer or bad sense circuitry.

As you can see, we can talk about the problem until we're blue in the face and not accomplish anything. What's needs to done first is a visual inspection to look for bloated caps or burned parts. If none found, then voltage/resistance measurements of various components. Of course, none of this can be done until you open it up and post some good focused overhead photos of the top and bottom of the power board. And a overhead photo of the top of the logic board. Do not post photos inline, but use the manage attachments option.
                  Jet,

Thank you for the response, i will be doing what you have suggested soon i simply want to try and make sure i understand everything before i go diving into the situation.

What you had suggest din regards to the sensors, would you have any idea where i could look into in regards to the possible sensor online or here?

If i may ask, what does cclf's and cclf's mean? As well, could you further explain in regards to the possible bad transformers or bad sense circuitry?

As for when i do attempt to take apart the monitor, ill be taking hi-rest images and i will post them as you have suggested.

Again, thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated and i agree we can discuss these things until we are blue in the face. Though i wish to make sure i understand everything before i attempt, again i appreciate his site and the other detailed experiences that i have researched on the same monitor.

Question; In my area, i only access to Radio Shack, however those on these boards have stated, not to use anything from RS, could anyone further elibreate in regards to being able to obtain these items i will possibly need in order to fix this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Acidrainopg View Post
                    Jet,

Thank you for the response, i will be doing what you have suggested soon i simply want to try and make sure i understand everything before i go diving into the situation.

What you had suggest din regards to the sensors, would you have any idea where i could look into in regards to the possible sensor online or here?

If i may ask, what does cclf's and cclf's mean? As well, could you further explain in regards to the possible bad transformers or bad sense circuitry?

As for when i do attempt to take apart the monitor, ill be taking hi-rest images and i will post them as you have suggested.

Again, thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated and i agree we can discuss these things until we are blue in the face. Though i wish to make sure i understand everything before i attempt, again i appreciate his site and the other detailed experiences that i have researched on the same monitor.

Question; In my area, i only access to Radio Shack, however those on these boards have stated, not to use anything from RS, could anyone further elibreate in regards to being able to obtain these items i will possibly need in order to fix this problem?
                    Suggest you perform a search on this site for the FPD2485W. There are several good threads pertaining to your monitor. This thread is a good starting point:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ay+touch+panel

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_cathode

2 seconds to black in great detail starting with post #19 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

Follow the instructions in my sig file below exactly when uploading pictures. NO inline pictures.

A SMPS application requires low ESR caps. Radio Shack is unlikely to sell these types of caps. They are likely to sell general purpose caps which are unsuitable.

Everything is explained in the troubleshooting guide.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

retiredcaps,

I appreciate it and ill be going through all that you stated and again thank you. Iam going to research further into this entire situation as it is difficult to simply find a common solution and resolution to the situation.

Cheers,

A

Comment

Hey guys,

Well i finally had some time to do this, here is the pictures as requested. I look forward to your findings, also just to let you know i had noticed the ones that look bad are also rather loose.

Acidrain
                          Attached Files

Comment

I look forward to your findings, also just to let you know i had noticed the ones that look bad are also rather loose.
                            See section 1 of the troubleshooting guide in post #19. It will explain, with an example, how to choose replacement caps.
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I can see at least 3 bad caps with domed tops, very common in all MONITOR BRANDS as you can see in my albums if you want to see them.
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/budm/GATEWAY/

See PDF of your picture that I red circle the bad caps.
                              Attached Files
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                See section 1 of the troubleshooting guide in post #19. It will explain, with an example, how to choose replacement caps.
                                Thank you replying, i bought an entire set through some of the recommended site everyone had referenced. Are my pictures clear enough to know which ones? Iam going to go pick up volt meter for the checks.

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  I can see at least 3 bad caps with domed tops, very common in all MONITOR BRANDS as you can see in my albums if you want to see them.
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/yy352/budm/GATEWAY/

See PDF of your picture that I red circle the bad caps.
                                  Thank you so much for replying, it is much appreciated and your explanation. As well, when i took the monitor case apart it had pulled the sensor wire off of the case wire, how is the best way to reattached? Iam heading to my inlaws to use a meter on them. Give update soon

Comment

Oh, I was hoping you did not detach the ribbon cable from the front bezel, real hard to put it back in since it is very short, I had to use tweezer to slip it into the socket and flip the tab back down. You can easily damage the small conductors at the end of the cable also. The first time I did it took awhile to get it back in place properly otherwise not all the functions will work.
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                      Oh, I was hoping you did not detach the ribbon cable from the front bezel, real hard to put it back in since it is very short, I had to use tweezer to slip it into the socket and flip the tab back down. You can easily damage the small conductors at the end of the cable also. The first time I did it took awhile to get it back in place properly otherwise not all the functions will work.
                                      I was afraid of that, any good information or good pics in putting it back on? It seemed as if there is no place to place it, as it seems as it was just stuck to the lead. I would appreciate anything you can help with.

Comment

Greetings all,

I have successfully changed out all the damaged capacitors and replaced them all and the Monitor is once again working. Ill update in a few days if anything comes up, but i suspect that nothing will.

Thank you all so much!!!!!

Acidrain

Comment

Working...
                                        X