Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP DV2945SE POST failure

Hey, everyone!

I'm researching to troubleshoot my old laptop.

Model: HP DV2945SE
    Motherboard markings: TIBET MB 06241-3M

Current State:

When I power the unit on, the power button LED and motherboard LEDs light up. The CPU fan turns on. LCD screen does not give display. I removed RAM modules to see if I get a POST error beep. The unit does not beep.

History:

I replaced the motherboard button battery, and afterward the unit wouldn't boot. I tried removing and replacing the RAM modules, and then it booted once. After a few minutes, I received a faulty display.

This was a few months ago, so I can't remember exactly what the screen looked like, but I remember it was garbled, and my system appeared to be frozen. I was using LXDE with Debian Linux at the time. I shut down using the power button, and ever since then it hasn't finished a POST.

I have held the power key down for 1-minute with battery and power removed, and I have also allowed the motherboard to operate on the battery until the battery was drained. Still no beep.

Questions:

1. I've attached a motherboard schematic document that appears to be a match, but it's only titled TIBET, rev SA. I was unable to find the identifying number 06241-3M. I've spot checked, and it appears to match my model. I got it from http://www.s-manuals.com/motherboard/wistron_tibet. Is there a way I can be certain I'm looking at the correct drawing?

2. Some motherboards have 3VALW and 5VALW. I was going to begin by checking for these voltages. I didn't see them labeled in the schematic. Is it possible my board doesn't have them?

3. I've read a brief description of checking POST status by monitoring for current changes: http://ng.laptoprepairtrainingcollege.com/tblog.html, search for DV6000. Is anyone familiar with this? Where do these currents show up?

Thanks a lot for any input!
    Attached Files

Re: HP DV2945SE POST failure

Sp fan spins it may be something with the video output.Try an external monitor.If you still don't get signal maybe you GPU is fried.

Comment

You're right, there could be a problem with the GPU. I think I've tried the external display approach before. I'll give it another go when I get home.

I don't think the GPU is the problem here, though. I would still expect an audible alert if I tried to boot without RAM, and I'm not getting that.

Comment

I tested with an external display, and I didn't get an image on the laptop monitor or the external monitor.

Would a faulty GPU cause a failure to POST?

Comment

Hi, tr4nshum4n

To be honest everytime I see anything HP DV xxxxxxx. I just switch on my hot air station and take out the liquid flux. *ready to reflow that GPU.

Of everything you explained I put my money on the GPU being the issue here.

But yeah small chance that it could be something else.... but i doubt it.

Good luck tho...
          while alive { live(toFullest=true) }

Comment

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

I gave a reflow a shot (this is the second time for this laptop), and it worked like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by tr4nshum4n View Post
              Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

I gave a reflow a shot (this is the second time for this laptop), and it worked like a charm!
              you can use it for one or two months.
              sigpic

Comment

Sombody has boardview for wistron tibet? help!!

Comment

Working...
                X