CapAnalyzer 88A EDS review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CapAnalyzer 88A EDS review?

I need a cap tester that can check caps in parallel and still soldered to the power supply board.

Will this unit do that?

What are the experiences with the CapAnalyzer 88A good or bad?

Are there any other reliable cap testers brands that check caps in parallel while still soldered to the board? If so brand and model; where do I buy the tester for the best price?

I have an LCD TV that I think the power supply is at fault but none of the capacitors look bulged or leaking, the tester should tell me once and for all if they need replacement.

Re: CapAnalyzer 88A EDS review?

Originally posted by Rippa_MD
    I need a cap tester that can check caps in parallel and still soldered to the power supply board.

Will this unit do that?

What are the experiences with the CapAnalyzer 88A good or bad?

Are there any other reliable cap testers brands that check caps in parallel while still soldered to the board? If so brand and model; where do I buy the tester for the best price?

I have an LCD TV that I think the power supply is at fault but none of the capacitors look bulged or leaking, the tester should tell me once and for all if they need replacement.

anybody?? CapAnalyzer 88A Series II

Comment

Yes I have a CapAnalyzer 88A. I am not an expert, so take that into account. That said, I think the tool does a decent job. It checks DC resistance first and beeps if there is a short. Then it checks ESR and the led bar graph on the side jumps up to the measured reading. The led that is illuminated indicates ESR ohms. Looking across on the chart next to the led, you can determine if the ESR is in the right range for the stated capacitance of the capacitor. Capacitors 220uf above should peg the bar graph led to the top.

The in circuit testing seems to work well. I assume that if there are several caps in parallel, the tester is going to measure them as one. The only additional thing that I would like it to have is an actual numerical readout of ESR and capacitance.

Comment

I also have the CapAnalyzer 88a. I like it alot. I am no expert and have only owned it for about 2 months. Have tested hundreds of caps and so far I think it is doing a good job. I like the fact that it discharges the cap before it tests it. I have tested a lot of caps that were 220uf and above that did not peg all the way to the top of the graph. Usally just 1 led below the top. Some times if I do not have a replacement I will go ahead and leave that cap in and usally the device will still work like it should.Maybe that cap is starting a decline or maybe that is normal for that cap. So far the devices that had caps that were that close and left in are all still working. Now if those devices fail in the near future do to those particullar caps than maybe I'll change my policy. Any how I can't conplain about the CapAnalyzer 88A.

Comment

Originally posted by TrippKJ4BKD View Post
          I also have the CapAnalyzer 88a. I like it alot. I am no expert and have only owned it for about 2 months. Have tested hundreds of caps and so far I think it is doing a good job. I like the fact that it discharges the cap before it tests it. I have tested a lot of caps that were 220uf and above that did not peg all the way to the top of the graph. Usally just 1 led below the top. Some times if I do not have a replacement I will go ahead and leave that cap in and usally the device will still work like it should.Maybe that cap is starting a decline or maybe that is normal for that cap. So far the devices that had caps that were that close and left in are all still working. Now if those devices fail in the near future do to those particullar caps than maybe I'll change my policy. Any how I can't conplain about the CapAnalyzer 88A.
          I have long been interested in this ESR meter.
          I am interested in more information.
          1.What´s his real lower limit of measurement?
          2.What is the voltage of the charget capacitor can withstand it?
          3.How it measures in circuit?
          I also have done with LED´s.
          I want to compare with their.
          Thank you for your reply.

Comment

The best unit made is a LC 103 that was made by sencore. its no longer manufactured.

I have used the capacitor wizard and the cap analyzer, both are good units. Nothing is perfect even the LC103 which is my main unit. There is also one is made by you that uses a pic chip. I have not made this unit but its good for someone startiing out.

Its a good unit to have as test equipment that is quick and fast, but not 100 percent accurate. You will in time learn which will lead to false reading.

Comment

There's a decent video about capacitor testing, featuring the CapAnalyzer 88A here.

It's not specifically a review of the unit, but it goes in to some detail on how to use it and the owner's experience with it. It's worth watching, if you're considering buying one.

Comment

I am having the chance to explore the latest Agilent U1733C LCR for five days,
                probably my findings could look as interesting to some people.

http://www.ittsb.eu/forum/index.php?topic=41.0

Comment

I have been looking at getting a used 88A and would like to know how to tell the difference between the Series II model and the earlier model. From pictures that I have seen online I don't see any text on the meter that says Series II. Thanks.

Comment

Can a few pictures of the inside CapAnalyzer 88a.

Comment

the EDS Cap Analyzer 88A is much less accurate and much more expensive than the peak ESR70,

the peak electronics ESR70 is an awesome tester and can even find bad caps that the EDS 88A will identify as good

Also the EDS 88A will test up to 2,200 uF.

the peak electronics ESR70 will test to 22,000 uF.

the 
peak ESR70 is better, cheaper and more accurate.

I know I have both :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X