Re: Get Firefox 10 on PowerPC macs

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
    At least this never happens when running firefox in Mac:
    Hahaha! You should post that on the funny pictures thread on HWI

Comment

^
      Done
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

never happens to me ether, well, maybe 3 times a year, on win7 or the xp box
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Firefox like never crashes...

Comment

I'm running 3.2 and it's barely useable for me.
            Then again, I'm running on a 300mhz O2.
            Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

what's an O2?
              I got Firefox 10 (or was it 9?) to run on a Pentium 1 laptop. It was terribly slow but it actually ran better than IE5

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                I've had it crash only once (I was using version 3.0.something on that computer). After opening Firefox again, it restored all of my tabs the way they were, so nothing lost. Can't complain.

I got Firefox 10 (or was it 9?) to run on a Pentium 1 laptop. It was terribly slow but it actually ran better than IE5
                That's because older versions of IE (6 and below) just can't cope with modern websites. Find an old, HTML-only website (are there even any nowadays?) and try again. IE should run much faster on that while also using less RAM.

The problem is with Flash - it is slow no matter which way you look at it.
                Fun fact: YouTube HD (Flash) runs better on 2x 1 GHz Pentium 3's than it does on a single 2 GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (unless, of course, the video card had influence on this, which I'm not sure about - the dual P3 PC had GeForce 6200 PCI and the P4 GeForce FX5600 AGP). For some strange reason, though, the dual Pentium 3 PC I was using for the testing had a really hard time playing regular SD videos with WMP and VLC. I'm pretty sure it's not the processors, since I never had problems watching the same videos on a single 933 MHz Pentium 3. Weird....
                Also, my 750 MHz AMD Athlon system really hates Flash (can barely run 240p on YouTube), but at the same time it has no problem playing 720p DivX AVI on full screen at 1920x1080 resolution.

So yeah, Lti is right - it's flash and it's bloated advertisements that slow everything down.
                Last edited by momaka; 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

fun fact: if you're on any kind of SMP machine (dual core, dual processor, whatever) flash will always run on the 2nd/3rd/4th/whatever core/cpu and stay away from the first one if it can. Which is why the dual P3 worked better with flash, as opposed to your media players, which probably ran it all off the first cpu
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

what's an O2?
                    You nubb, seriously?! It's a typo for P2..... Didn't the 300MHz give it away?!
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                    http://folding.stanford.edu/
                    Team : 49813
                    Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

^
                      Yup. Easy to make. O and P are next to each other.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

D'oh...
                        Yeah/I realized that now

Comment

It's obvious that you're not a poweruser by any means.

FFX crashes on a regular basis for me. First I get split-second lockups every now and then which continuously worsen till the entire thing simply crashes.
                          And this is without flash or any other plugin running (plugin-container.exe killed)

However, I'm running FFX 24/7. It usually doesn't last more than 2 days without leaking so much memory that it starts the split-second lockups and crashes some time later.

It's currently in its lockup state, using a bit more than 2060MB RAM and is continuously creeping up. I'm expecting it to crash in a couple hours, even without doing anything with it.

Comment

Yeah I get that problem too.

It seems to cache every page even if you close tabs and eventually the memory usage becomes insane.

The only way to free the memory is to shutdown and restart it, but I think they should make it unload the data as you navigate away or close the tabs.

That said, I have experienced this problem with IE7, Opera and Safari as well.
                            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                              Yeah I get that problem too.

It seems to cache every page even if you close tabs and eventually the memory usage becomes insane.

The only way to free the memory is to shutdown and restart it, but I think they should make it unload the data as you navigate away or close the tabs.

That said, I have experienced this problem with IE7, Opera and Safari as well.
                              they cache some of the page (depending on your cache settings) in case you want to re-open the tab with CTRL+SHIFT+T. easiest thing is to turn off cache, and not use tabs :P

or in opera, i believe you can turn off tab memorization (the trash can function) somewhere in opera:config.

Comment

Well I would rather that it didn't cache every single page just in case I wanted to reopen the tab.

Saving the tab history, yes, saving the tab contents, no. On the occasion that I do want to reopen a tab, it can re-download the page.

Or perhaps save them for 1 minute or so just in case you closed it by accident - but after that, unloading from memory would be a clever idea.
                                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                  It's obvious that you're not a poweruser by any means.

FFX crashes on a regular basis for me. First I get split-second lockups every now and then which continuously worsen till the entire thing simply crashes.
                                  And this is without flash or any other plugin running (plugin-container.exe killed)

However, I'm running FFX 24/7. It usually doesn't last more than 2 days without leaking so much memory that it starts the split-second lockups and crashes some time later.

It's currently in its lockup state, using a bit more than 2060MB RAM and is continuously creeping up. I'm expecting it to crash in a couple hours, even without doing anything with it.
                                  Oh really? I have 20 add-ons installed, I often use.advanced.editing functions on Firefox, and I'm known to have 30 or so tabs open at once.
                                  Then again I don't run it 24/7, that's unnecessary and idiotic.

Comment

Then again I don't run it 24/7, that's unnecessary and idiotic.
                                    Are you talking about the browser or the system?! I'd imagine you wouldn't run the browser 24/7....you have to sleep some tiime...

My system hasn't been shut down in over a year.
                                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                      Are you talking about the browser or the system?! I'd imagine you wouldn't run the browser 24/7....you have to sleep some tiime...

My system hasn't been shut down in over a year.
                                      Yes I was talking about the browser.
                                      My computer is turned off every night, and when I'm not home.

Comment

Mine folds...and in the winter, it keeps the computer room nice and toasty. I also hate waiting for computers to boot....so I just turn the monitor off...and when I want to use it, turn the monitor on and away I go. I do turn my office machines off though, except 'FrankenServer".
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

^ When you have a Core i5 running XP, the bootup time is under 30 seconds, so I don't have a problem shutting my rig down when It's not needed. Besides, when you get >$300/month power bills, you have to do all you can to save power.

Comment

Working...
                                          X