Help with a Staples brand monitor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a Staples brand monitor.

Took it apart, and it had 3 popped 220uf 25V caps. I didn't have any on hand, so I put in 3 470uf 25V caps. It still has the same problem. Turns on for about 2-3 second, then shuts off the picture. Won't come back on unless you turn it off and then back on again.

I'm wondering if it might be the transistors. It has 4 STU9916L transistors. http://www.alldatasheet.com/datashee.../STU9916L.html

Or did I mess it up using too large of caps.

Pics of the power board.

Attached Files

Re: Help with a Staples brand monitor.

Before you start looking at the transistors, you should take out the 470's and install 220's. Ahhhh, if it was only so easy as to replace caps with whatever we had in stock. You more than doubled the original capacitance, which is bound to cause problems (especially in the inverter section)!
    Last edited by jetadm123; 11-28-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
      Before you start looking at the transistors, you should take out the 470's and install 220's. Ahhhh, if it was only so easy as to replace caps with whatever we had in stock. You more than doubled the original capacitance, which is bound to cause problems!
      Yeah...I was afraid of that. I've ordered in the 220s. However, considering the monitor was free, I'm not too concerened if I kill it. (Belonged to a boss I'm not too happy with, and I figured this was better than target practice...)

Comment

Originally posted by torin3 View Post
        I'm wondering if it might be the transistors. It has 4 STU9916L transistors.
        Test for shorts by measuring ohms "in circuit" between S-G, S-D, and G-D. Any ohms reading below 30 ohms suggests a bad transistor.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've ordered in the 220s
          While you are waiting for caps, see posts 13 and 14 "A guide on how to troubleshoot 2 seconds to black" at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

in case the caps are not the problem.

I think your inverter transformers secondaries should measure around 950 ohms as per

http://lcdparts.net/TransformerDetai...ProductID=2797
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

You're neglecting to investigate the power brick. This monitor receives a DC powersource, open it up and see what's inside. You might need to dremel it in half if the glue is too strong. Otherwise, start wedging with a flat screwdriver. Also, show us the logic board.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
              Test for shorts by measuring ohms "in circuit" between S-G, S-D, and G-D. Any ohms reading below 30 ohms suggests a bad transistor.
              While you are waiting for caps, see posts 13 and 14 "A guide on how to troubleshoot 2 seconds to black" at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419

in case the caps are not the problem.

I think your inverter transformers secondaries should measure around 950 ohms as per

Will do. I might not get to all of the tests before the caps arrive, depending on my work load (been pulling 60-75 hour weeks for the last 2 months).

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              You're neglecting to investigate the power brick. This monitor receives a DC powersource, open it up and see what's inside. You might need to dremel it in half if the glue is too strong. Otherwise, start wedging with a flat screwdriver. Also, show us the logic board.
              Actually I didn't neglect it. I opened it up, and didn't see any obvious damaged components in it. I'll try to get a picture or two of the logic board by tomorrow.

Comment

I opened it up, and didn't see any obvious damaged components in it.
                Hmm, I didn't realize there was an external adapter for this monitor. You can test it with a multimeter and see what it reads. Put your multimeter on 20V DC (if manual) and see if you get a stable reading.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Most were well into the K-ohm range, and none under 100.

Secondaries were all 720 ohm, give or take 3 ohms.

Hmm, I didn't realize there was an external adapter for this monitor. You can test it with a multimeter and see what it reads. Put your multimeter on 20V DC (if manual) and see if you get a stable reading.
                  12.32V DC steady. (block says 12VDC @ 4.16A)

Attached Files

Comment

Most were well into the K-ohm range, and none under 100.

Secondaries were all 720 ohm, give or take 3 ohms.

12.32V DC steady. (block says 12VDC @ 4.16A)
                    All those readings look good. Let's see if the proper rated caps solve the problem or not.

PS. Please don't post pics inline. They slowdown the loading of pages everytime I come to revisit the thread. I can click on the attachment to get the full size picture.

In addition, on a 9 inch diagonal netbook screen, I have to scroll back and forth to read the text and this makes it impossible to follow along.
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Sorry about the pictures. Posting habits from a different forum. I'll leave them as plain attachments in the future. If a moderator wants to edit them out, that would be fine with me.

Thanks again for the help. Caps should be in tomorrow or Thursday.

Comment

i doubt the caps you used make any difference .
                        i would look to see if all lamps are coming on.
                        one out will cause this.then use swaptronics to tell if its a dead inverter section or a bad lamp.

Comment

Ok, the caps arrived today. Swapped them out and tried the monitor. Lights go out but the graphics are visible when examined closely.

Tried each individual lamp. The lamps go out after about 1-2 seconds. However the one plugged into CN5 is dimmer/redder than the rest. Plugging that lamp into CN4 results in the same dim/red light. Plugging the lamp that goes into CN4 into CN5 results in normal brightness/color.

Left to my own devices, I'd try pulling the lamp and looking at it to see if there might be anything I could fix (broken, damaged wires, etc..). If I didn't see anything, I've got 2 Dell monitors that I can probably pull a lamp from and try using that in place of the dim one to see if that will let it stay on. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure where to go from there. Any other things I should try as well?

Comment

However the one plugged into CN5 is dimmer/redder than the rest. Plugging that lamp into CN4 results in the same dim/red light. Plugging the lamp that goes into CN4 into CN5 results in normal brightness/color.
                            A pink or redish hue is an indication that the ccfl is dying. As it ages, it draws more and more power.

Left to my own devices, I'd try pulling the lamp and looking at it to see if there might be anything I could fix (broken, damaged wires, etc..).
                            This is what you are looking for. See pics at

http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...klight%20lamp/

If I didn't see anything, I've got 2 Dell monitors that I can probably pull a lamp from and try using that in place of the dim one to see if that will let it stay on.
                            You don't have to remove the lamp from the Dell monitor. Just put the Dell close enough to the Staples (but not touching) and stretch out the ccfl cable from the Staples to the Dell. The Dell acts as your "good ccfl".
                            --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ok, the caps arrived today. Swapped them out and tried the monitor. Lights go out but the graphics are visible when examined closely.

Tried each individual lamp. The lamps go out after about 1-2 seconds. However the one plugged into CN5 is dimmer/redder than the rest. Plugging that lamp into CN4 results in the same dim/red light. Plugging the lamp that goes into CN4 into CN5 results in normal brightness/color.

Left to my own devices, I'd try pulling the lamp and looking at it to see if there might be anything I could fix (broken, damaged wires, etc..). If I didn't see anything, I've got 2 Dell monitors that I can probably pull a lamp from and try using that in place of the dim one to see if that will let it stay on. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure where to go from there. Any other things I should try as well?

The reddish/pinkish color is a sign that the lamp is failing. You're on the right track with using a lamp from your dell for testing. Good work so far.
                              Last edited by jetadm123; 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM.

Comment

You don't have to remove the lamp from the Dell monitor. Just put the Dell close enough to the Staples (but not touching) and stretch out the ccfl cable from the Staples to the Dell. The Dell acts as your "good ccfl".
                                Thanks for the tip! Saved me some time. I was able to get it connected, and the other 3 lights stayed on with the 1 lamp from the Dell monitor plugged in. I'm going to pull the bad lamp now.

Assuming it isn't fixable, where would be a good place to purchase a replacement lamp?

Comment

Can you say what model Staples monitor this is? I ask because I service a faclity that uses some staples monitors and I'm wondering if this is what I can look forward to.

Comment

Sure, it is a model SP9106. 19" non-widescreen.

Edit: Inside it has a sticker saying "HannStar Display Corporation"

Comment

TAssuming it isn't fixable, where would be a good place to purchase a replacement lamp?
                                      3 or 4 people in the last week have made good comments about ccflwarehouse.com.

The above will sell bare lamps, lamps pre-wired, lamps pre-assembled, etc.

This tutorial at their site will you an idea of the delicate operation ahead of you ...

http://ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html
                                      --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

3 or 4 people in the last week have made good comments about ccflwarehouse.com.

The above will sell bare lamps, lamps pre-wired, lamps pre-assembled, etc.

This tutorial at their site will you an idea of the delicate operation ahead of you ...

http://ccflwarehouse.com/lasotu.html

An interesting tidbit: Apparently, ccflwarehouse also operates on Ebay under the seller name plazmo_industries.

http://shop.ebay.com/plazmo_industries/m.html?_dmd=1

In some cases the same lamp might be actually cheaper if you buy it through their store on Ebay.

Comment

Working...
                                        X