X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Its shorter, not so many things inside.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Picked this up at a thrift store for $2.50, decided to actually get decent pics of a PSU for a change.

It's a Xigmatek NRP-602. 600W, 80+ Bronze, made by HEC.

Not a bad looking chassis, all dark grey with nothing special.

Actually has filter caps, plus the PCB connects using spade connectors rather than direct soldering. That's not something I've run into a lot.

Once inside the board states it's a "600TE" PCB.

Caps are a bit interesting. There's a mix of Nippon Chemicon, Teapo and "SK". Not sure who made the SK caps, not Teapo as they're 105*C rated.

Here's a HEC branding

Soldering...could be better, not the worst I've seen.

Fan's just a Young Lin Tech DFS132512H. Seems it's been used in a few Cooler Master PSUs as well.

Here's full res pics, rather than 1024px downsampled. Didn't want to make you guys wait a week for the images to load: http://imgur.com/a/OAhZ6
      Attached Files

Comment

The 105*C "SK" capacitors are likely Su'scon.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
          The 105*C "SK" capacitors are likely Su'scon.
          Looks like that'd be them. I guess that means this PSU was built with decent caps, probably alright caps and less than favorable caps.

Not a huge deal, this'll be reserved for those mid range systems that'll draw maybe 300W on a bad day. I'd never trust a Xigmatek for a proper gaming rig.

Comment

I'm almost certain they're Jamicon.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Jamicon's SK series is rated for 85C rather than 105C.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                I'm almost certain they're Jamicon.
                Hec doesn't usually use Jamicon but they use Sus'scon. So it's very probable that those are Sus'scon caps...

Had such unit on the Chroma 6000 ATE btw.
                Ripple was rather poor on that unit...
                20%, 50% and 100% load:

Oh dear...

I haven't seen the voltages on a scope though, so I can't tell how bad it actually is or if it's just some random EM noise bullshit that just looks bad but really isn't.
                Can't say for sure.
                The HEC SIlver Plattform of that time had some problems with somethings like that so it's possible it's the same with this one...
                Last edited by Stefan Payne; 11-04-2015, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Weird to see HEC use a Japanese cap for PFC filtering...I've only ever seen them use CapXon. Yeah those are Su'scon caps, HEC is known for using them. And Su'scon always outlines the capacitor series letters, as seen in 4th picture on that little black capacitor.

Comment

They're doin it for some time now - since the first Cougar units...

Comment

Hey guys

I am in the middle of recapping an old Jeantec Storm 700w unit I bought way back when in 2007.

It was used for a couple of years as my main PSU during the Core 2 Duo era then relegated to server duties for the last 4 years.

It has never skipped a beat but the limited reviews about were mixed on it, I thought I would ask what people thought of it? I am still not so clued up about PSU design.

The OEM is Sirtec.

Apologies the pictures are half way though removing caps.

Main filter is a Su 'Scon LZ 470uf 400v (I have left this)
                      The rest were Teapo,
                      1000uf 6.3v x 2 (Near transformers, one vented)
                      3300uf 10v x 2
                      3300uf 6.3v x 2
                      1000uf 16v x 2
                      3300uf 16v x 1
                      470uf 16v x 1
                      Few other 10-2.2uf

Have recapped with
                      1000uf 6.3 Panasonic FC x2
                      2700uf 16v FC x4
                      1000uf x 2 16v FR
                      3300uf x 1 16v FR
                      470uf x 16 FR
                      Few other low values with identical FR caps.

Hopefully will last another 8 years, what do people think of it?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bungz View Post
                        It has never skipped a beat but the limited reviews about were mixed on it, I thought I would ask what people thought of it? I am still not so clued up about PSU design.
                        Hopefully will last another 8 years, what do people think of it?
                        Looks quite decent. Should last many more years with the recap (probably even more than with the original caps.)

The only problem you *might* run into the future is with APFC blowing itself - either due to it killing the primary 400V cap or just because APFCs like to fail in general. But when that happens, you just replace the primary cap and remove APFC MOSFETs, and PSU is good as new again. (actually even better, IMO.)
                        Of course, you also *might not* run into that problem ever.

Comment

Well it powers a i7 920 and a 7870 while running stress on the GPU and CPU at the same time for a couple of hours.

Fan got pretty loud and the readout on the back got near 400w however accurate that is.

Not bad for a old unit

Comment

Have had this sitting around broken for years. Doesn't turn on. No voltages at outputs. Fuse OK.

It has a watt meter display on the back.

Would like to figure out what is wrong with it.

Comment

Its a Sirtec like the one I posted above

Pics of inside? Hows it look?

Comment

Apparently some browsers aren't displaying the inline images I posted in the forum.
                                I think everyone can see attachments, I'll attach some now.
                                I started another thread looking for troubleshooting help here:
                                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51157
                                Attached Files

Comment

If it wasn't for the modular output connectors and the name on the side, I'd think I was looking at mine...lol. Oh, and the fact that mine doesn't turn on.

Comment

Got something new =)

An old Enermax.
                                    A not soo old Liteon
                                    And a very very old HEC.

The Liteon seems quite nice, besides that cap right next to the secondary heatsink...

Pics to come.

Comment

Here the first.
                                      Take a guess who did this PSU.
                                      I won't say...

Very high heatsinks, you can see that this was designed with one 80mm fan in mind.
                                      Caps are ltec on the primary side and mostly Taicon with some SamXon on the secondary side.
                                      Soldering is also beautiful...

And it's a 300W with just 19A on +12V...

Attached Files

Comment

Umm, maybe, with all the LiteOn signs, let me guess…LiteOn?
                                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                          Here the first.
                                          Take a guess who did this PSU.
                                          I won't say...

Very high heatsinks, you can see that this was designed with one 80mm fan in mind.
                                          Caps are ltec on the primary side and mostly Taicon with some SamXon on the secondary side.
                                          Soldering is also beautiful...

And it's a 300W with just 19A on +12V...
                                          LiteOn

That's a VERY nice looking unit!

LiteOn is like Delta! The way their designs are made, they look really similar. (good quality though!)

Those are some high quality pics as well!

-Ben

Edit:
                                          Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                          Umm, maybe, with all the LiteOn signs, let me guess…LiteOn?
                                          Dang, you beat me to it by a few minutes!
                                          Last edited by ben7; 01-02-2016, 08:42 AM.
                                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                          X