Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Wine Spill! Is it worth it ?

Hello!
    A friend of mine asked me to take a look on his Mac Pro that had a wine spill.
    He said it wasnt much, but damaged the mobo anyway.

Well I got the laptop yesterday and I found some serious damage.
    The LVDS connector had 2 pads that are black! the are gone.
    The LCD cable has also the the respective pads eaten

I saw a zone with some corrosion , but what seems worse is that a zone near the DC IN has the copper lifted up!

Here are some pictures of the damages.

Just wanted to know from more experienced people in these situations, if it is worthy to loose some time and make some mesurements on this mobo, or is it just a waste of time?

Seeing the connector , the LCD could be damaged right?

Thanks for any inputs!
    Attached Files

Re: Macbook Wine Spill! Is it worth it ?

looks like it's a 820-2327 board and from the picture looks like it can be repaired, but much work to do and depend on your time and spare parts as probably ull need some...

edit: is that a full layer hole near dc in ? if yes probably mainboard is fully shorted and not repairable
    Last edited by dellxps15; 03-02-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

have same here with same problem. im waiting for new lvds connector from ebay.
      its worth it. lvds - 5$, lcd flex - 15$

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
        looks like it's a 820-2327 board and from the picture looks like it can be repaired, but much work to do and depend on your time and spare parts as probably ull need some...

edit: is that a full layer hole near dc in ? if yes probably mainboard is fully shorted and not repairable
        Yes !

It's a full hole layer :/
        Havent took it to my office, but I'll do some mesurements when I get there with the machine...
        Doesnt look good to me but I'll see...
        But even If it's repairable, I would need a similar board to get components or it will be impossible I think... and I Dont!

Think I'm gonna tell the owner that I cant do much about it ... :/

Comment

u should check if that hole is shorting some ppv bus, as g3hot , main power and so on. and if u find a short in a lane, u could try to locate the problem on some bad caps, but at the end it can be that hole... and lcd flex, for changing that u have to unglue the screen, and if u are not good in it a new glass will cost a bit.

check for short however in main white fuse, on that 47omh resistor u see in ur picture, on the ner little coil and all other coil too for short, so u can make an idea of the damage.

if i remember good, macbook board have almost 12 layers

Comment

One of the problems you may have is the key board contacts, they will have to be clean well. I think you will find where the copper contacts have vanished it is because a direct short on the contacts themselves. I would think when the liquid connected these two places together it blew them out. If the short was in the board it would have blown that out the same way. One quick way to test for a short on the board is use power supply with current protection and see if the supply shuts down. That way you not only ohm test it but you voltage test it to see if you actually put the operating voltage on it what will happen. Before I did any of this I would clean everything with isopropyl alcohol. It will leave a little residue but nothing like what is on there now. In the old days one would use trichlorethylene or it cousin trichloroethane which would leave virtually no residue. The isopropyl will evaporate almost immediately. Good-Luck!
            Last edited by keeney123; 03-02-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X