Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer 8943G Accidental Short, No Power

Hi everyone,

I have had an absolute nightmare this morning, I wanted to try to format an mSATA SSD in my personal laptop, so I took out the wifi card and put in the SSD, stupidly enough while the power cable was still plugged in, but then the wifi cable moved and shorted something and there was a big spark, now when the adapter is plugged in the light on the adapter goes off because something has shorted.

I could have sworn the wifi cable only touched some pins on the mini pci/msata connector, but looking at the motherboard it looks like the spark was on a capacitor near the power input. I have attached a picture.

I just checked resistance on the 0V and 19V input connector and its only 4 ohms, which I am sure is not right? The motherboard is a da0zyamb8d0 rev D.

Please please please help me someone I really need this laptop to work again
    Attached Files

Re: Acer 8943G Accidental Short, No Power

I have just tried to run the laptop off battery and it does actually still work! The battery was not inserted when I made the short.

Comment

schematic:
      Attached Files

Comment

thank you meritosari

It is a capacitor thats looks damage, but it was my understanding that an SMD capacitor can not fail to short? or am I wrong here?

Comment

if 4 ohms showing with GND main 19v line so check the capacitor removing one by one between the PD3 like PC1,2,3,4,PC245 ,PC246 and also check the connector and adopter.

Comment

sorry for my reply after the rectification of your laptop i did not see your reply any way congratulate to you on coming back live your laptop.

Comment

Hi smali,

Thanks for the comments. No the laptop is not fixed, it just works on battery, but something on the AC side has shorted making the adapter turn itself off.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by grahamw01 View Post
                Hi smali,

Thanks for the comments. No the laptop is not fixed, it just works on battery, but something on the AC side has shorted making the adapter turn itself off.

Thanks
                Could be a shorted component like smd capacitor.
                i fixed one like this before, it shut off the charger, but when its unplug, the chagrer light turnd back on.

Comment

Originally posted by grahamw01 View Post
                  I have just tried to run the laptop off battery and it does actually still work! The battery was not inserted when I made the short.
                  Remove pl2 to determine which side has short. See page 37 on the schema. Test again resistance Between pin 1 and 4 of jp2 after removing pl2 coil. If short remove ceramic caps and test one by one. If short on the other side of the coil check pq13 and pq14.

Comment

your image is saying its a capacitor short which is burnt from wifi wire replace it

Comment

Excellent thank you all for the tips, I will give it a go tomorrow when i have the necessary equipment.

I think it will be PC256 since this is where the spark was. If so, this is a 22uF 25V 1210 capacitor. I have been searching for this capacitor and found a Murata GRM32ER61E226KE15L fitting the same details. However there are many different types, what does X5R, MLCC mean? Is a tolerance of 10% okay?

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys, I ended up just replacing the capacitor with a 22uf 35V tantalum capacitor and so far it has been working for about 10 minutes! Really appreciate everyone's help here.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

I had the same problem without short-circuit.
                            I took the condenser from an other 8943g motherboard
                            One of them was cout-circuited with a 7 ohms value...

thank a lot for all !!!

Bertrand from Paris !
                            Attached Files

Comment

anyone please be of help, how do i disable the ati graphics and use only the intel display on this board.
                              because the ati graphics is really disturbing and want to do away with it.

thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X