A good free anti virus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good free anti virus?

Can you guys sugest a good free anti virus?

Other wise ill just stick to avg free. it seems to work good for me and its for the HP i gave to my mom and dad.
    Last edited by Phaihn; 07-20-2009, 12:25 AM.
    My Computer.
    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Re: A good free anti virus?

I currently use Comodo Internet Security. It is free and I am having success with it. The firewall is excellent and the antivirus is decent. The main complaint about it is that it is over protective. Expect lots of popups coming up when you first installed it. The mass popups come from the fact that it also monitors changes to the registry, COM interfaces and the like.

Therefore if a program wants to edit the registry, it will popup asking you to allow or disallow the change. This is no problem for me but it could be for some. Perhaps these extra protections can be made more lax or simply disabled so you will have less popups.

Once you get the fist flurry of popups sorted out when you first install, popups generally only come when you install an application (where you can choose the option 'treat this application as an installer/updater' and you wont get subsequent popups).

Another free antivirus that I have read is very good in Avira AntiVir. I do not have experience with it but many seem to think that it is great.

Comment

+1 on each of those. Avira has a higher detection rate but comodo gives you a firewall and other monitoring tools for more control.

Avira pops up an advert when you update. You can disable it by killing the exe that does it.

Comment

I've used Avast free antivirus for the last 4 years or so, and have installed it on various friends systems - it works like a charm.

Comment

I use AVG free edition anti virus, it's pretty good in my opinion.
          Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I second the AVG free. It seems to work well.
            A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

From information gleaned on another forum from those with knowledge of such things, use Avast.
              AVG and Comodo security are reputed to be crap.

Comment

I have never, once, seen a virus infected computer running AVG. Not once. Hasn't happened. I can't say that for other free alternatives. AVG has cleaned viruses that others, such as Norton, and other free alternatives, have left behind. I've been in the computer business for years BTW.

AVG may have a larger memory footprint than some of the others, but it works well enough to offset this IMHO.

Comment

I too used AVG in the past.
                  Then upon advice received, I uninstalled it and installed Avast.
                  Upon initial scan, Avast picked up loads of stuff that AVG had failed to pick up on.

Comment

Funny, mine worked the other way.

Comment

avg bad (porky and bloated), comodo better (used to use it), linux best!.

if windows is your vice, then id say comodo hands down. better than mccafe and norton (what isnt, then again)
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Avast is bloated. AVG is a bit bloated but still manageable. End users tend to get viruses no matter what you put on. If you want to be "in the know" read www.av-comparatives.org and pick for yourself.

In the end the best AV is YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                          Avast is bloated. AVG is a bit bloated but still manageable. End users tend to get viruses no matter what you put on. If you want to be "in the know" read www.av-comparatives.org and pick for yourself.

In the end the best AV is YOU.
                          The best AV really is Y O U.
                          I used PCs for years without AV with no ill effects all the while fixing a TON of virus-infected systems for other people.

The best way to avoid virus:
                          1- Be really careful about opening email. Turn off HTML and never open an attachment unless you know exactly who sent it and why.

2- Don't be a Sucker! Most of the stuff people try to get for free on the Internet is just loaded with viruses and malware. This includes "Work From Home" sites.

3- Don't be a Dirty Old Man! Easy for me to say, but the most virus-plagued computers I've ever seen had some really gross stuff in the Temporary Internet Files folder. (I first came across it by trying to retrieve family pictures for someone.... ewww.)
                          I eventually developed a rule of thumb: number of viruses is proportional to number of dirty pictures viewed. The last (now deceased) D.O.M. system I worked on had well over 600 threats found before I quit the scan and re-installed.

4- Re-install Windows occasionally. Actually, I did this a lot to clean up errors caused by programs and uninstall routines and especially when changing hardware. It also gets rid of any malware.
                          I got to be really good pals with M$'s phone activation people though. (they hate me )

Personally, I like AVG. It's not perfect, but pretty good and no hassles.

Have Fun,
                          Macs (and Linux) get VERY FEW Viruses
                          Keri
                          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Can't resist the temptation!!!

When my IT man at work introduced me to Linux, I asked him what kind of antivirus it would need. He just laughed. I didn't understand what was so funny. He said Linux doesn't need antivirus!

So all you windows users ..... enjoy your sick computers.....
                            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

LOL, everell

Maybe we should recommend Linux as a "Good Free AV"?

I'll stick with the moderately-priced "Leopard AV" that runs exclusively on reasonably priced (Cheap, even) Apple Computer Corporation Hardware.

Have Fun,
                              "Achoo!"
                              Keri
                              (Ducks)
                              The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Clam-AV works on linux.

4- Re-install Windows occasionally.
                                NO NO NO
                                Audit your PC instead. Download autoruns and process explorer from SysInternals and LEARN what is supposed to be running on your pc. If you have something new look it up! If you kill something and it comes back, its probably a virus. Strangely named unsigned executable? Probably a virus!

Comment

Originally posted by KeriJane
                                  I eventually developed a rule of thumb: number of viruses is proportional to number of dirty pictures viewed.
                                  Sounds funny but it's true. Same applies to warez/serials/Limewire downloads.

I liked AVG Free up to (and including) version 7.5, but after that (version 8 and later) it became too heavy on resourses for me. With 100MB of ram allocated for AVG Free and me having 512MB total, it does really slow down my system. Although I must say, it really is good with finding viruses. Nothing like Norton.
                                  I've also heard that Avira AntiVir Free is pretty good and lighter on resources. It's been nominated as CNet's Editor's Choice. I might give it a try actually. As for Avast, I like that it has the ability to do a boot scan but that's about it.

Of course I agree that the best anti-virus really is you.

Comment

AVG seems to work good for me. With 1 and half gigs of ram its got lots to work with.
                                    My Computer.
                                    AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                                    Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                                    Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                                    500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                                    1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                                    2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

simple solution:

use linux. i prefer the ubuntu version. it will do anything windows can without the bloat and jacked up prices.
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I use symantec corporate.

Ya ya ya symantec is norton, but its not "norton" its completely different, and I always use it to clean up people's computers with avast and AVG installed, AVG and avast really only gets most of the virus, but leaves smaller spybots and stuff behind.

Symantec corporate with malwarebytes and superantispyware. Very potent combo.

Comment

Working...
                                        X