My PC Is As Mental As I Am !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My PC Is As Mental As I Am !

My new used Dell Dimension is making me go mental!!! I use Xp Home, Nero 7, and DVDFab 6. The DVD drives are New/Old Stock Sony DRU800A's. Been burning things just fine at full speed 16X since I got it a few months ago. Out of the blue I started getting read errors on E drive. Uninstalled and reinstalled the burning software, and the read error went away. So then it reads from E then does its thing, and exports the file to D drive for burning. D dive started to come up with and error like "Burn Process Failed" or it would burn the blank and tell me "Burn Process Completed Sucessfully." Thing is that the burnt disk was never "readable." So next I got two slightly used but known good MadDog NEC DVD-RW ND-2510A drives from my brother. It looked like everything was good but still the burnt copy was still not readable...! What the Hell!!! I then did a complete reprogram of this POS. OK now I get a full speed burn but the burnt copy still would not read in D drive. Stuck a "failed" disk in E drive and the movie is on it and works fine...This where my "mental" starts to kick in hard! Went back and checked all my "failed" disks and they all have a movie on them and work just fine in D or E drive.... Whats going on here??? Do I have a failed IDE cable???? Am I just Mental~?
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: My PC Is As Mental As I Am !

What mode did you burn at? What file system? Are they burned in DVD format or just Avi's on a disk.

Comment

Hi JunkParts

Sounds like a potential BadCaps symptom.

You tried different drives and a reload of OS and software and it still does it?

Maybe that elusive bad cable?
      Maybe a memory error?

Maybe voltage fluctuations doe to a bad capacitor somewhere along the line!

I know for a fact that JunkParts knows how to set drive jumpers correctly and would NEVER have 2 masters on the same cable or have drives set to "Cable Select" on a plain IDE cable.... so that's not it.

Good Luck,
      Keri
      The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

KeriJane I guess that it could be badcaps someplace or everyplace in my PC. I just dont know. This is my third 4550 Dell and I have had similar problems with all of them but never to this degree. Now I have found that I can burn the "main movie" part of a DVD now with no drama, but if I try to do the full disk it will screw up on me. I wouldn't mind getting the thing recapped but I would like to send the whole box to who ever does the job. NxB said he can do a video card for me that needs done but I don't think that he wants to do a recap on a whole PC. What I need is a Badcaps "recap" person who lives close enough to me so I can deliever, and pick up my PC from them in person. My location is in south Baltimore, Maryland. I think that if I shipped the whole box by mail or any other means my PC would be reduced to a pile of true junk while in transit. Just to be safe I will be doing another complete Format C: and reprogram job on this unit before it gets any work done to it. Something still isn't right on the programming side of things. I forgot to mention that I had and ongoing virus alert popping up on my outgoing mail before this DVD burning issue cropped up. I am also going to switch out the hard drive this time, and put this HD in my "dangerous" pile too. P.S. all my drives are set to CS. One HArd drive on the primary IDE connected with the 80 pin cable, and two DVD drives on the secondary IDE connected with and 80 pin cable. It worked fine before this way....
        Last edited by Junk Parts; 07-24-2009, 06:14 AM. Reason: add
        "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
        Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
        John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
        Rod Serling

Comment

the drive will not be dangerous after a format.
          why not look at your board and see if it does have known problem caps.
          if not then most likely you can ignore them.
          it may still be "owned" if you had a nasty on it.
          drm installed by some programs can mess with you too.

Comment

I still haven't taken a close look at the board. It just may have a nasty on it. She gotten to the point that it will only read E dive but not very well. Tried to go with my Lappy yesterday, and its acting like a dog. It used to be great. Since I loaned it to a friend who had a Mobo fry its kind of messed up. I think that when he uninstalled all his pet progies it made my Xp sick. I just don't feel like messing with it right now. What I am doing is putting my Hp Compaq back together to use. This sick Dell needs to go offline until its fixed or replaced. I think my friend Vernon will sell me another 4550 or better for about $40.00. Some of these "right off the junk truck" units only need a Hard Drive and a reprogram job to be up and running. Others need RAM, DVD drives, and a video card to work again. Hell I might get lucky, and he will have a new OEM mobo for one of these things in stock. He buys everything he can get when a company has him do their upgrade work. Now here is a question for you Kc. My 4550 is the one with the 533 Mhz FSB and a 2,4 P4 CPU. Right behind the Secondary IDE connector there are two little caps. These caps have been bent over on my board more that one time. Could those two little suckers be my whole problem??? Should I replace just these two and try again before buying somemore junk??? Beer is Good!
            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

idk. try it.
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Got the Hp Compaq up running somewhat. It looks like none of my DVD drives are worth a crap. Since I was having problems I switched them one by one to the old Dell PIII to test them. They all ended up sucking! One NEC 2510A is dead. The other NEC keeps comming up with strange errors during reads. The Sony Fails on the write test everytime, and the gerneric 12X writes only when it wants to. I think I need to buy some new drives before I call my P4 Dell dead.
                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

yup. do you have other drives to test with?
                  sigpic

Comment

Well in a word RatDude...No...LOL I have a Dell Gx180? PIII 1Ghz with one Compaq DVD ROM drive, and a Gerneric 12x DVD/RW drive in it. The Generic can burn a CD sometimes. Haven't burnt a good DVD with it in years. My Dell Demension 4550 2.4 P4 has the Sony DRU 800A 16x DVD/RW and another gerneric 12x DVD/RW drive in it. When I run the Sony Diag progie on the Sony drive it always fails on the write test part now no mater what PC I have it installed in. The 12X gerneric in this one burns CD's ok but its DVD burns are always unreadable. I also have two MadDog NEC-2510A DVD/RW drives. One is always giving me errors. The other can't even read a DVD. All these drives act the same no mater what PC I have them installed in. As you can see, it just maybe time for two new ones if I wish to keep burning my DVD's. I think I'll go up to my friends shop and see if I can get my hands on one good one to test with.
                    Last edited by Junk Parts; 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM. Reason: add
                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

this is why i suggested making sure you had a cap issue before shipping the box and risking shipping damage.
                      i have a heap of flakey opticals at the shop that are only being kept for the high power laser diodes they write with.can make a few nasty pointers with those!
                      iirc a few of that series came with hn/hm but most i remember had mbz.a few with kzg.ide port issues are rare unless lightning was involved.

Comment

Thanks Kc. You saved me a big pain in the butt plus some cash too. This Sony has burnt maybe three hundred DVD's plus and unknown number of CD's. Also we all know that this is not a "real Sony." It is a LiteOn with a Sony face plate, and stickers....I think some or most of the plextor drives are also rebadged LiteOn's now too. Now I should try and save some money on these new drives that I need, but you get what you pay for sometimes. The problem is that in the real "new parts" area Junk just doesn't know who is making what for the other guys now. I'm also getting that old "upgrade" feeling again too...LOL Do I need Blu Ray Burners now??? I have not even watched a BluRay movie as of yet. This is mainly because I have nothing here that could play one. With a BluRay burner can you still burn regular 16x DVD's??? Would it be best to get one of each and use each one for burning its intended type of disk? Do BluRay burner come in my PATA/IDE whatever interface??? Can my old Dell handle it? Its only a P4 2.4 with 1 Gig of 333mhz RAM. and a 60 Gig WD600 HD. I did have a Hp Compaq d530 with a P4 2.6, 1 gig of dual channel DDR RAM and a WD600 HD. After hours of trying to get it up and running right yesterday I zapped on it and smashed it all to hell....LOL The CPU, and RAM from it are sitting on my monitor now. The mobo, case, and PSU are out in the street!
                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Parts
                          Thanks Kc. You saved me a big pain in the butt plus some cash too. This Sony has burnt maybe three hundred DVD's plus and unknown number of CD's. Also we all know that this is not a "real Sony." It is a LiteOn with a Sony face plate, and stickers....I think some or most of the plextor drives are also rebadged LiteOn's now too. Now I should try and save some money on these new drives that I need, but you get what you pay for sometimes. The problem is that in the real "new parts" area Junk just doesn't know who is making what for the other guys now. I'm also getting that old "upgrade" feeling again too...LOL Do I need Blu Ray Burners now??? I have not even watched a BluRay movie as of yet. This is mainly because I have nothing here that could play one. With a BluRay burner can you still burn regular 16x DVD's??? Would it be best to get one of each and use each one for burning its intended type of disk? Do BluRay burner come in my PATA/IDE whatever interface??? Can my old Dell handle it? Its only a P4 2.4 with 1 Gig of 333mhz RAM. and a 60 Gig WD600 HD. I did have a Hp Compaq d530 with a P4 2.6, 1 gig of dual channel DDR RAM and a WD600 HD. After hours of trying to get it up and running right yesterday I zapped on it and smashed it all to hell....LOL The CPU, and RAM from it are sitting on my monitor now. The mobo, case, and PSU are out in the street!

Not sure but i am thinking that the new Blu ray drives are probley SAta but you can get a PCI sata raid card for it. Liteon is a pretty good dvd cd burner i got one with my computer its still running good i just think i need to clean out the 5 years worth of hair thats in it.
                          My Computer.
                          AMD APU A4-3300 2.5ghz 1mb cache
                          Motherboard GigaByte GA-A75M-S2V
                          Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

SB Audigy 2 ZS [B800] Sound Card
                          500GB WD Caviar® Blue™
                          1 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™
                          2 Terabyte WD Caviar® Black™

Comment

all my sony drives work including an ancient 3x cd-rom i have. all my liteons do too. my benq works, as do my HL drives. a batch of phillips drives found in win me era machines were known to fail... i diassembled one and fount that instead of a switch they hade 2 metal contacts, all dirty. one refused to open and since half of them have no magic hole, my dad had to pry it open with a screwdriver just to extract the cd inside. another failed when it burns it vibrates violently.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
                              when it burns it vibrates violently.
                              Giggity.

Comment

Isn't it "Giggity Giggity Giggity!"
                                Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

They use several variations of it. It goes from a quick "giggity" to "giggity giggity giggity goo aww yeah", depending on how sexually the situation can be interpreted and how exited Quagmire is.

Family Guy is great .

Comment

The question is will Quagmire ever get with Lois??? Has he gotten to Meg yet??? LOL Is Chris safe??? Gigity
                                    Last edited by Junk Parts; 07-29-2009, 04:28 PM. Reason: Add
                                    Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

is brian safe?
                                      sigpic

Comment

Is Lois safe from Brian??? Maybe Stewie will just kill them all first. If I remember right Brian already got Meg when he went as her date to a dance.
                                        Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Working...
                                        X