Recommend a board...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommend a board...

I agree. Grab Phenom II X2 550. 790GX or 790FX, and 4GB of two sticks DDR3. Start slowly convert to SATA.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I got 4GB of ram and it was only $50. I should have gone for the 550 if I got 4 cores out of the deal. They are twice the price though since the athlon was only 50. It still *Might* have a chance to be 4 core. I guess I'll see. I can buy a video card or hard drive for the $50 I save.

Comment

Ok, CPU is here so is the ram. No board yet... Fedex are a bunch of clowns. I can't wait to play the AMD lottery.

Comment

If it's an Athlon X2 you lose. Not going to unlock at all. It's only the Phenom's that unlock.
          A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

I've read some have unlocked 7750s and 7850s. Kuma core. They are still phenoms with cut cores. Not the old athlon X2.

Comment

Well I got everything running. No unlock . I can set individual ACCs for all 4 cores. HT runs at 2000mhz. Has same stepping as phenom x4 (JAAB AA) but they won't become active My new memory won't run at 1066 either I think I have to RMA it.

Comment

doesnt it suck that you have to pay intel/AMD/via "ransom" just to avoid getting a celeron/sempron. i call it ransom because if you dont pay they kill a core, some catche ram, maybe ht... only there is no eerie phone calls involved. if i am going to drob serious money then i buy the best i can afford. unlocking disables cpu monitoring. i think it also nukes overclocking.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Ratdude747, Used to. Now doesn't apply now. E2200, E5200/E5300, E7500 (VT capable) are under 150 or LESS. Phantom II X2 550 is 3.1GHz CPU and is about 150-160.

In late PIII era & early P4 era, I went with socket A/462 stuff till middle of C2D era when price went down below 100 for E2200 and soon after for E5200 below 150. I can't justify paying more than 200 if I have good reason to do so. Intel was selling too high on fastest PIII (1GHz and tualatin 1.13, 1.2 to 1.4) was over 220 or more even for 1GHz where athlons was stomping and beating PIII and early P4 flat and 1GHz athlon was retailing around 150 (that's was around 2002) Then 1.3GHz at that price again, then barton based 512K 1.8GHz 2500+ at 150 also in 2004, later on swapped in 3000+ 2.0GHz barton at that price also. This combo was longest I owned from that 2004ish to 2008 when I finally plunged into Intel once again once regained their senses.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by NxB
                    Well I got everything running. No unlock . I can set individual ACCs for all 4 cores. HT runs at 2000mhz. Has same stepping as phenom x4 (JAAB AA) but they won't become active My new memory won't run at 1066 either I think I have to RMA it.
                    What CPU did you get?

Try following the instructions and see what you get:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1426852
                    Last edited by acstech; 07-28-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Tried everything, did research, it won't turn the cores on no matter what. I think AMD fused them off. Its an agena phenom x4 re-branded as a 7850. It was cheap so I can't complain. CPU was < 1/2 the price of all of the other chips and i get L3 cache.

Interestingly enough, last official bios freezes the computer at the post screen when you turn on ACC. I had to flash the mod bios.

Unless it does this for every cpu...
                      Attached Files

Comment

7850's wont unlock.

Comment

Looks like it since its phenom 1.

Comment

Working...
                          X