Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7200.11 failure

Originally posted by stevo1210
    Argh! I got my HDD back today and the sticker says "Certified repaired HDD". They said this was a new one when technically it isn't. Still a 7200.11, but with firmware SD1A?
    I've never got a new drive from Seagate for an RMA. Always "Certified Repaired"
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I have two 1TB 7200.11 drives in my main box, one for storage one for backup. I also have a couple of 500GB WD drives that are not hooked up as backup drives as well

I haven't had any issues from any of the drives at all. The seagates all have the latest firmware installed out of the box. one of the WD's failed the smart test but it's never given me any issues *knocks on wood*.

weekly backups are done drive to drive... monthly backups are done externally. if this was done professionally I'd be doing daily backups using scripts at night and weekly backups with those backups being stored off site.
      Last edited by pwrusr1; 07-11-2009, 10:46 PM.

Comment

AHHHHH!

That STUPID nice, new 500gb 7200.11 died on me.
        I had even flashed the Firmware to the updated version before use.
        It did not set the drive size to "0kb" per the Firmware glitch.
        It just grew a bunch of bad sectors and crashed out Windows..
        Fortunately, the Backup Drive is intact and functional so retrieving Data shouldn't be a problem.

Figuring that the failure might be the fault of something else, I checked out the PSU- Scopes OK under 330w load with maybe 60-70mv ripple on the 12v.

One thing that I'm wondering about: This drive was mounted in an Antec Sonata case with those soft silicone drive mounting washers. Could the drive have set up an internal resonance and gone blooey due to the resilient mounting? It was installed in April 09 to update from a 320gb drive, which became the backup. The original drive apparently survived the same PSU and mounting fashion.

Starting to dislike Seagate Technologies just a little bit over here...
        Keri
        The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

well i mentioned an early failure with a WD also
          so what to buy in the end....???
          capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Fujitsu scsi?

Maxtor, but they got sucked into seagate.

Comment

What a shame Seagate is now unreliable.

My 2 (maybe 3?) year old 320GB 7200.10 has been like a rock. That drive saw some heavy usage the year and a half or so I had it running in my room on what was then my system, and according to smart it has an abnormally high number of power cycles. And it runs in a pretty toasty system.

Comment

Working...
              X