How to test ceramic caps on cell phone boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to test ceramic caps on cell phone boards

Hello everyone , its my first thread, and just want to say im happy to have found such great community on the web, where i can know more about board level repairs. thank you

my question is how to test caps and resistors on cell phone board , like the one in the picture around the cpu for iphone 5c that got water damage and A6 IC is getting really hot once connected to battery and i have found from other threads that some caps might got burned. i have a fluke digital Multimeter for equipment

thank you
    Attached Files

Re: How to test ceramic caps on cell phone boards

PZ
    We are in similar fields.
    Your into phones, I have been fixing hand held two way radios that use similar kinds of parts.

Water damage. Give up.
    It can do some insidious things that are very hard to fix.

My advice is to borrow / buy a low power (about 30x) stereo microscope. Nothing fancy is required. When you look at these boards with the instrument you will get a whole new prespective on how smt electronics is assembled and serviced.

I refer to it as soldering sand.

Keep it safe
    Jack Crow
    "You are, what you do, when it counts"
    The Masso

"Gravity, the quickest way down"
    Mayor John Almafi

"You ever drop an egg, and on the floor you see it break?
    You go and get a mop so you can clean up your mistake.
    But did you ever stop to ponder why we know it's true?
    If you drop a broken egg you will not get an egg that's new?"

MC Hawking

Comment

a friend of mine uses a cheap usb microscope mounted in a drill-press.

it works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Crow View Post
        PZ
        We are in similar fields.
        Your into phones, I have been fixing hand held two way radios that use similar kinds of parts.

Water damage. Give up.
        It can do some insidious things that are very hard to fix.

My advice is to borrow / buy a low power (about 30x) stereo microscope. Nothing fancy is required. When you look at these boards with the instrument you will get a whole new prespective on how smt electronics is assembled and serviced.

I refer to it as soldering sand.

Keep it safe
        Jack Crow
        Thank you Jack Crew for the replay
        I have ameScope that get pretty good scope on cell phone boards, with water damage repair service i follow some steps
        1- disassemble phone and take shields off.
        2- clean with brush and isopropyl alcohol .
        3- give the board a bath in ultrasonic machine with heat control for up to 30 minutes , i have from 60-70% success rate till this step
        4- if board did not work or missing a function like LCD or back light not working then i put it under the microscope for visual inspection like corrodet connector or a filter , resistor that need a solder reflow, usually this bring me up to another 5-10% success rate.
        After that i meet issues that i cant track visually which i think good testing skills is what im missing.
        Like for this phones case i researched that mostly heating Chip is due to burned capacitor. And I see many people had success finding the faulty part , so it can be done just im still a newbie to SMT testing and schematics readings .
        I found this article that talks about what i means
        https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Troubles...ard_components
        Regards
        Last edited by Phonezone; 02-19-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          a friend of mine uses a cheap usb microscope mounted in a drill-press.

it works really well.
          I have this one too , but im sure he just knows what he's doing , i have the equips but i don't have the skills yet
          Last edited by Phonezone; 02-19-2015, 10:19 PM.

Comment

What kind of "ultrasonic machine" are you using and what is it's purpose? What is the circuit board "bathing" in?

Comment

http://bluewaveinc.com/ultrasonic-cleaning-101/

http://www.bransonic.com/
              or cheap stuff from HF
              http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

That's really interesting. Is it worth the investment though? I mean, I know that it depends on how many water damaged devices you get in, but I mean from a "does it really work" point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfinator View Post
                  That's really interesting. Is it worth the investment though? I mean, I know that it depends on how many water damaged devices you get in, but I mean from a "does it really work" point of view.
                  If you are in cell phone repair business then that a must have . Some people just use brush and alcohol to clean corrosion , but the ultrasonic waves gets what you can't see. Get one with heat control.
                  Here's affordable one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Tech-1...item2ed2701aff

Comment

Originally posted by Phonezone View Post
                    If you are in cell phone repair business then that a must have . Some people just use brush and alcohol to clean corrosion , but the ultrasonic waves gets what you can't see. Get one with heat control.
                    Here's affordable one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Tech-1...item2ed2701aff
                    Thank you Phonezone. I do a lot of cell phone repair and yeah, when it comes to water damage I just use a soft bristle toothbrush and 95% iso alcohol to clean corrosion.

What do you use as a solvent in the bath? My online research says to use Ammonia Hydroxide but I'd rather find out what is used in practice rather than make a mistake on someone's $$$$ cell phone or tablet.

Comment

Freon was best before they banned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfinator View Post
                        What do you use as a solvent in the bath? My online research says to use Ammonia Hydroxide but I'd rather find out what is used in practice rather than make a mistake on someone's $$$$ cell phone or tablet.
                        I too am curious as to what liquid is used.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I read too. Freon, but that isn't an option these days. Still curious as to what liquid should be used.

Comment

IPA if you can do it outdoors or stop it evaporating.

Comment

I use a detergent made specifically for use in ultrasonic cleaners, it's manufactured by Allendale (Ultra+). I use 5-10% concentrated solution mixed with deionised water. I heat my solution to 60-70 degrees and generally leave the part/s in for a minimum of 30 minutes (15 minutes each side of the board). Once the cleaning process is finished i thoroughly rinse the part/s in 99% isopropanol and dry with compressed air.

I've successfully restored many dead iphone and ipad water damaged logic boards back to working condition with this process alone.

Comment

"each side"??
                                you should put boards into the tank vertical so any crap falls away.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  "each side"??
                                  you should put boards into the tank vertical so any crap falls away.
                                  I don't lay the parts flat, I put them in vertically at a 45 degree angle. The cavitation process will generally clean the entire board at any angle but i like to do both sides anyway for peace of mind

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 shillings worth on this subject. I agree that a microscope is a great tool for a variety of work. While wet or contaminated boards can often be salvaged in the short run, the time and expense is most often too great. And in many cases a reclaimed water damaged board will come back again as unseen corrosion continues to damage the parts and traces on the board. But sometimes you get lucky.

Water damage - it is rare that a board is damaged by pure distilled water. Typical types of water will be mud, cat "water", water from overturned house plants, detergent or cleaning sprays, and soft drinks and coffee. And don't leave out the most popular cell phone accident - toilet water.

But even then it matters how much time has elapsed since the damage. The "water" can creep slowly from the traces into the parts via corrosion that cannot be fixed or washed away. It is one thing to reclaim a well made glass board with through-hole components and another to ultrasound a cell phone. Just my opinion.
                                    Last edited by Longbow; 03-24-2015, 08:37 PM.
                                    Is it plugged in?

Comment

Thanks full

Comment

I enjoy the talk about ultrasonic, but how do we test cermanic caps?

Comment

Working...
                                        X