Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer is slower after upgrading CPU

Yes, DMA is enabled.

I wasn't expecting the hard drive to be bad since programs didn't take longer to open. With less RAM, some programs now take longer to load, but they run at almost the speed I was expecting when I upgraded the CPU.

Comment

Oh right, well to be honest I haven't been reading this thread thoroughly, but someone else suggested you should run the HDD diagnostics so I just assumed that there was some kind of issue with it
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

If my computer was inexplicably going slow, and I saw its disk Seek Error Rate exceeding 30 BILLION, I'd try another disk

Your ST38410A is an ancient drive by consumer computer standards where old means not this week's model

And it's a U8 series as well - not renowned for performance

Maybe high seek error rates are explicable with current perpendicular recording drives, but I doubt it applies to an old longitudinal recording drive

BTW, the disk in the first computer I worked with was an IBM 1405 RAMAC - try Googling that
        better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

That huge number is just the RAW data from SMART. It could mean anything. It could be a decimal coded hex value of the checksum of something (Yes that probably doesn't make sense but it probably makes sense from the point of view of what I am trying to say). In my experience ALL Seagate drives report a "high" RAW number for those values, and it is normal.

Maxtor on the other hand is normally 0 for those values, until there is an error.

The "official" description says: "The raw value has different structure for different vendors and is often not meaningful as a decimal number."
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R....T._attributes)

For this drive, what you really should look at is the threshold value and current value, when the current value (in this case it is 66) drops below the threshold (which is 30) then you can say the disk is outside of SMART health levels and is failing.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

There's theory and there's practice

If it was me, I'd be using Seagate's diagnostics rather than a third-party tool

I'd go for SeaTools for DOS, and try to get an older version commensurate with that drive's vintage

The OP's problem is mysterious slowness, and to me the drive shows abnormal

If LTI really wants to use third-party tools, I'm quite fond of MHDD which can remap sectors if their performance is abnormal
            better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Seagate's diagnostic tools are rubbish in my opinion, I stopped using them a long time ago because they generally only say your drive is failing when it's on fire and the heads have all fallen off.

I have had multiple faulty Seagate drives (mostly the problem was bad sectors which increase steadily with use) scanned with Seatools, and it found nothing wrong. On one drive it commented that some sectors were bad and would I like to fix them, when I said yes it told me it had done so, then prompted to do another scan. When it did, it came back telling me more sectors were bad... ad nauseum.

All the drives failed SMART status on HDAT2 and Speedfan noted that there were high numbers of reallocated sectors and that the drives should be replaced (which is the same conclusion any sensible person would come to if their drive has over 600 bad sectors with many more pending and more failing every day)

Why did Seatools not say the drives were bad? I have no idea. Perhaps Seagate wants to pretend your drive is OK hoping the warranty runs out before the drive completely dies and you realise Seatools is useless. I don't know.
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
              X