TP-Link router wih no +3,3 V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TP-Link router wih no +3,3 V

It is a TL-WR1043ND with +12 V supply. Inside are 3 voltages: +5 V, +3,3 V and +1,8 V. The +5 V is fine.

However, +3,3 V is no present and since +1,8 V is driven from that, there is no voltage too. I discovered there is APW7120 PWM controller running dual N-channel MOSFET 4228BGM.

Since the dual MOSFET measures OK and the PWM is hot like hell when I plug in +12 V transformer (well, there is 14,5 V when pluged in, but I think its normal for these supply transformers, right), I guess the PWM is dead…is there anything I can do for proving it before I will try to look for replacement?
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Re: TP-Link router wih no +3,3 V

3.3V DC-DC module? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Volt...item43ae948a6b
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Oh, well, I can solder in +3,3 V and +5 V directly from AT PSU, totally skipping the +12 V, right? Good point!
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Yep, that chip is surely dead.

You can try to hook up a 3.3v regulator. Or, try an LM317. Idk if it will be able to provide enough current - if it doesn't then you can use a series pass transistor.

However, using a linear regulator on the 12v supply or 5v supply of the router might cause it to be overloaded by the not-so-efficient liner regulator.
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Well I am thinking of hooking in AT PSU, it does enough current for everything. Top rating is 1,5 A on 12 V, so its 18 W max, but I guess thats for using all five ports at 1000Base-T and all three antennas.

Comment

Linear regulators are hard to burn out. 3.3v could be shorted leading the regulator to shut down and leaving 1.8v out in the cold. I'd inject 3.3v from a bench power supply to see if the voltage can be maintained at a "normal" current draw and the product works.

You could also hook up the ATX power supply and watch for sparks.
            sig files are for morons

Comment

OK, connected ATX PSU, got green power on diode but thats all. I guess the main processor is damaged thus making switch non-workable. Anyway, even though it's GbE/802.11 n router, it is not so expensive to waste time with that any longer…not mentioning the guy got it for free I think (as most of the routers he has ).

Comment

Working...
              X