Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can capacitor dielectric be black??

Hi,

I've just opened a screen and looking round for the main filter capacitor in the SMPS I spotted this..

I've taken it out of circuit, and it doesnt seem to hold any charge at all.. but the deposit on the top of the cap looks like glue or coolant, even though it must be dielectric.. What do you think?

Re: Can capacitor dielectric be black??

Are you sure it isn't just the rubber bung they put on top of high voltage caps?

Comment

did you test in circuit as well? - care, high voltages.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

This is the best pic I could get close up. The substance has a hollw, plastic feel.

http://omg.wthax.org/small_1.jpg

There is a small radial fuse blown on the AC input so I cant test in circuit... I've held it to a 9V battery and it doesnt hold any charge.. This same battery charges another large filter cap to 8.00v in a few seconds..

Comment

Just thinking about it there.. It doesnt make any sense for me to ask for any more help without peeling off the substance and having a look underneath.. So here it is..

http://omg.wthax.org/thumb_without_rubber.jpg

Comment

Yeah... change it... doesn't have to be 68uF if you can't find one... could probably go up to 120uF with no worries

While the voltage rating could go as low as 350v, that's kind of risky... I'd say stay with 400v-450v rated caps.

This should work: http://ie.farnell.com/panasonic/eeue...5mm/dp/1673496

And this page has a selection of good caps... choose best mix of diameter / height + temperature rating you can afford: http://tinyurl.com/czn3pwg (farnell search page... short link because url was 500+ characters)
            Last edited by mariushm; 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

that cap has had it,the disk on the top stops anyone getting a shock,the aluminium case is usualy at mains potential.
              fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
              please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
                that cap has had it,the disk on the top stops anyone getting a shock,the aluminium case is usualy at mains potential.
                Yeah, I see that now.. I'd never seen those rubber tops before.. I guess what happened was that when the cap blew it seemed to melt the rubber top and made me think it was dielectric...

Gonna buy a new fuse and a new cap. Just wondering if the blown filter cap lead to the blown fuse, or perhaps a failure somewhere else along the line lead to the blowing of both the fuse and the filter cap...

Comment

Probably the cap failed shorted, causing it to vent and blow the fuse.
                  With the cap out of the circuit, ensure the primary is not shorted.

Comment

yeah,as b700029 says,the cap has shorted out causing the fuse to blow,when you put in the new filter cap,just ohm out the fuse terminals,it should show open circuit or very very high resistance,and to be safe,connect a 100w light bulb across the fuse terminals and power on,should glow bright then off or very dim,if it does that then your safe to put the fuse in and away you go
                    fixed so far...376 lg lcd tv's,24 onn tv;s,24 panasonic lcd,16 jvc lcd,12 marshall jcm800 amps,refurb of various disco equipment lighting,old style disco decks ,and a flymo!

----------------------------------------------
                    please let us know if everything works ok if your tv gets fixed, as it will be and aid for anyone else having the same problem and wishing to fix it.it would save people clogging up this site with topics that are duplicated,and can be found easily using the search function.,and taking up valuable space.enjoy your fixed tv!,hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by multimeter View Post
                      connect a 100w light bulb across the fuse terminals and power on,should glow bright then off or very dim,if it does that then your safe to put the fuse in and away you go
                      Yeah I read this in a book, but havent had the opportunity to try it yet... It's a great idea. I was gonna try it before putting in the fuse.. btw, that's a fast blow fuse isnt it? I've found two identical fuses on the radionics site, but there's nothing I can see to identify F or T ..

Hopefully by the middle of this week I'll have myself a nice working PC/TV screen for less than ten euros... (and you know how little euros are worth these days :-) )

Comment

T = time delay.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/t315a-315...aign=usfroogle

Comment

It appears that the vent has burst on the cap and melted some plastic.

Crappy "chang" caps! Replace the ones in the secondary too!

Hopefully the s/c capacitor didn't blow anything else! (besides the fuse)
                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Looks like a Vestel PSU these were notorious a few years back for having fake primary caps which shorted after some time.
                            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              Looks like a Vestel PSU these were notorious a few years back for having fake primary caps which shorted after some time.
                              Interesting.
                              I always though the common failure mode for those high voltage caps is open circuit rather than short circuit.

O/P should definitely check the main MOSFET for short circuit and the Source resistor for open circuit. That way, if more parts are bad, it can be all ordered at once.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                Interesting.
                                I always though the common failure mode for those high voltage caps is open circuit rather than short circuit.
                                Crap-caps love to go short-circuit and draw excess current
                                Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                  Crap-caps love to go short-circuit and draw excess current
                                  I have them ordered, so put your chips on the table please.. :-)

I have a 400v 150uF cap. Could I use this instead.. I thought the higher the capacitance the better the filter job it would do?

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanAnon View Post
                                    I have them ordered, so put your chips on the table please.. :-)

I have a 400v 150uF cap. Could I use this instead.. I thought the higher the capacitance the better the filter job it would do?
                                    Sure you can, as long as it has enough space!
                                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

See, I picked up an old XBOX today (which has a 400V 150uF cap), having already ordered the 400V 68uF cap and the 3.25A fuse from radionics. They should be here on Friday.

The 400v 150uf cap is certainly way too big for the TV, it's wayyyyyyyy too tall. But it would have worked as a nice test before I made the purchase.. I could throw it in place of the 68uF cap and put a 60W bulb in place of the fuse... I might just try it anyway..

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanAnon View Post
                                        See, I picked up an old XBOX today (which has a 400V 150uF cap), having already ordered the 400V 68uF cap and the 3.25A fuse from radionics. They should be here on Friday.

The 400v 150uf cap is certainly way too big for the TV, it's wayyyyyyyy too tall. But it would have worked as a nice test before I made the purchase.. I could throw it in place of the 68uF cap and put a 60W bulb in place of the fuse... I might just try it anyway..
                                        If you don't have a spare 3.25A fuse, just use a 3A to 2A fuse to test it. One thing is for certain, NEVER put in a bigger size fuse!
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X