Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 1942TQ -stinks

Here's a weird one.
    LG 1942TQ from work. Was functioning fine, user complained that it smelled bad.
    Help desk guy agreed, and replaced it. 'course I snagged it

Took it apart expecting an arcing lamp, melting connector, oozing cap or something obvious.
    Nothing really. Power supply pcb has some heat marks, nothing fails the sniff test (powered off) and the Samyoung and Samwha caps all have flat tops.

Wait a sec. What's that?
    The big mains cap is bulged! Never seen that before.
    Measured (in circuit) the ESR micro says "what cap? I don't see a cap"
    My Fluke 87 says, .4uf or so. Will pull it and measure it later.
    Attached Files
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: LG 1942TQ -stinks

Originally posted by smason View Post
    The big mains cap is bulged! Never seen that before.
    Measured (in circuit) the ESR micro says "what cap? I don't see a cap"
    My Fluke 87 says, .4uf or so. Will pull it and measure it later.
    Pulled it and it's definitely toast. I just did a cap order, so will wait until I have more stuff to order, or perhaps I'll steal one from one of my spare boards.
    'course on all of my spare boards you can't read the cap values on the large cap, and they're glued down.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Have had a spate of these lately ,
      some swollen and some with corroded legs and a few suffering from both .
      Mainly in 22" Technika's and Cello's.

But as a rule you don't see it often

Comment

Originally posted by sabre504 View Post
        some with corroded legs
        Yeah. one of the legs fell off when I was removing it.

Comment

Samwha caps - known crap. Be lucky it did not catch fire yet. Replacement is easy to get on Digi-key, tough
          "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
          "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Comment

Working...
          X